Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Sense-A Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:37 pm
allendjp wrote:
I would advise against using that specific battery bank because it doesn't address the required negative voltage rail. DO NOT combine both +/-12V and connect them to to only +12V... people will not be happy.

This is what I meant:

Also, you could regulate voltage with an add on circuit such as this:

Your prototype is impressive. I'm just brainstorming and bouncing ideas off you guys. I am not likely to attempt any of this myself. Too busy restoring another MPC 4000 (LCD and contrast knob and cracked circuit board) plus I have a few keyboards I need to fix (dead keys, bad tact switches, etc.).
By allendjp Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:16 pm
Sense-A wrote:
allendjp wrote:
I would advise against using that specific battery bank because it doesn't address the required negative voltage rail. DO NOT combine both +/-12V and connect them to to only +12V... people will not be happy.

This is what I meant:

Also, you could regulate voltage with an add on circuit such as this:

Your prototype is impressive. I'm just brainstorming and bouncing ideas off you guys. I am not likely to attempt any of this myself. Too busy restoring another MPC 4000 (LCD and contrast knob and cracked circuit board) plus I have a few keyboards I need to fix (dead keys, bad tact switches, etc.).

Thanks! Okay! Whew! I just wanted to clear that up... that's a super important detail. hahah. And yes... with the right circuitry anyone can do a similar mod.

I will advise anyone and everyone that if they were to take on the task, to read up and gain knowledge on power circuits. there's a lot of risk involved especially for a such valuable piece of equipment. the last thing I ever want for anyone is to fry their MPC.
By inflict3 Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:50 am
Can’t wait to see this for sale!!!
By princessdan Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:46 pm
Hey op if you need a beta tester, I'm comfortable altering my MPC, it came to me as a parts/repair unit, and I've been inside it a bunch of times. If I screw up and it breaks I've got a second 1000, so no tears. I've been doing a bunch of research on how to do this myself, although I was leaning towards an external pack to make it easier. I am probably mere days away from sourcing parts, so I've got some $ to throw at it. Holler back!
By inflict3 Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:30 am
^^^^^^ naw dude, don’t try and con this guy outta his hard work, just buy the kit. He has been testing it.. shit, ima buy it and will test it for him... I don’t usually call people out like this, but how you gonna come up in here with your first post, like you gonna test some sheet?? Come on b...
By inflict3 Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:14 am
Bump!
By claudeimanuel Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:47 pm
[quote="Sense-A"]

Greetings to all
was wondering if I could receive some advice etc on doing this battery powered mod by myself,

Modular sound discontinued his kit series and I wasn't able to get one. Ive been doing some research on the site and came across this 2013 thread in which a user Mqueue accomplished this mod using a 12v battery similar to the one SenseiA mentioned

viewtopic.php?p=1459472#p1459472

they used an alternative power supply :

The new power supply is a PicoPSU..($25 + shipping):
http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-80

Which has a DC large barrel connector, 12v

an ATX extension cable to access the wiring on the PicoPSU

then they stated:

" Cut the ATX extension cable and MPC wiring harness in half-- Match up the wires on the new power supply to the MPC wiring harness (the wiring is too bulky at the moment) "

This part confused me. Im looking for advice on how to go about .
Is it possible to just make a new connector cable between the Mpc harness and the new power supply? without having to cut into anything. or is his way simpler

The post continues and has a pinout chart (right side 20 pin for the Picopsu)

https://www.smpspowersupply.com/connect ... pinout.GIF

Im not sure I completely understand this process, Is the pico meant to be the lone item left in the Mpc with it rewired to the original harness? (battery can be anywhere)

Thanks any advice is appreciated.
By Slump Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:39 am
Any chance on open-sourcing this project for the community or running another limited production of the boards? I'm sure if you open up 'paid pre-orders' people will pay up. You could even maybe structure it so you can wait until enough paid pre-orders have accumulated to make a bulk order of boards cost effective to ship out if you don't feel comfortable open sourcing your work. Just some thoughts because i'm sure a lot of people (myself included) who missed the original run are still desperate for a relatively easy battery powered mpc 1000.
By Slump Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:26 pm
Hey all, just giving this thread a bump to let you know that Allen has been doing another run of these battery mods. Just got mine in the mail today! Won't have time to install it until Monday though
By inflict3 Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:20 am
Dope