Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By allendjp Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 pm
Just made my MPC1000 portable! I've been working on a safe prototype for quite some time now. My plan is to make an easy drop in replacement kit available in the near future. I wont get into all the details but I'll give you a glimpse of my final prototype. If you want to stay updated, my site: modularsound.io and IG @modularsound will have the latest news.

USB-C Power Delivery Port

LED Battery Status - Utilizes the numeric button LED diffuser. Transitions from Green to Red
By NearTao Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:04 am
Sadly... I sold off my 1k last year... but this does sound like a solid mod... been thinking of doing something similar on my 500 to switch out from AA batteries to Lithium for power... your mod definitely looks slick though!
By allendjp Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:50 am
NearTao wrote:Sadly... I sold off my 1k last year... but this does sound like a solid mod... been thinking of doing something similar on my 500 to switch out from AA batteries to Lithium for power... your mod definitely looks slick though!

Thanks! Doing a Li-ion conversion for the 500 would definitely be sick. That should be a fairly straightforward conversion.
By mr_debauch Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:07 am
nice to see... would be neat to know the performance. Also, i wonder if there would be a drop in performance if you have the XLCD mod installed.
By allendjp Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:31 am
mr_debauch wrote:nice to see... would be neat to know the performance. Also, i wonder if there would be a drop in performance if you have the XLCD mod installed.

Only a decrease in battery runtime, since the power supply will consistently output the required voltage. Unless, ironically, the XLCD consumes less current than the stock one. :lol:
By mr_debauch Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:40 am
allendjp wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:nice to see... would be neat to know the performance. Also, i wonder if there would be a drop in performance if you have the XLCD mod installed.

Only a decrease in battery runtime, since the power supply will consistently output the required voltage. Unless, ironically, the XLCD consumes less current than the stock one. :lol:

never know... it is at least decade newer
By Sense-A Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:37 pm
Looks impressive! Especially the LED indicator light for battery status. Nice work!

Anyone should be able to do a similar modification.

The MPC 1000 is powered by 12v and 5v, just like most computer systems and laptops.

You can buy lithium batteries that output both voltages.

I haven't taken measurements, but something like this could possibly fit in place of the power block/transformer and provide 5v and 12v power to the ADDA block.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TalentCell-Rec ... 4596996711
By NearTao Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:00 pm
That's actually an interesting solution for the MPC 500... I might have to see if I can squeeze those cells inside the case... hmmm... at 500ma you're probably looking at 6 hours usage minimum compared to about 3-4 hours on AA batteries.
By allendjp Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:38 am
Thanks Sense-A!

I would advise against using that specific battery bank because it doesn't address the required negative voltage rail. DO NOT combine both +/-12V and connect them to to only +12V... people will not be happy.
By NearTao Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:31 pm
allendjp... yeah I hear you... on the MPC 500 though, since it takes a 12V 500ma input... I suspect it could be wired up to the proper input... and then the switch might be able to be rewired to the MPC 500 switch... though this seems potentially awkward, since I believe how it shows it to work that you'd have to have the MPC 500 and power bank on in order to recharge the power bank...

I haven't thought about it enough to decide if I'd want to give it a try though :D
By Sense-A Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:27 pm
allendjp wrote:Thanks Sense-A!

I would advise against using that specific battery bank because it doesn't address the required negative voltage rail. DO NOT combine both +/-12V and connect them to to only +12V... people will not be happy.

DC voltage is indeed polar. The battery pack pictured is likely center positive, negative shield. Or vice versa. So you connect the plug on that end, cut it on the other, test it with multimeter to see which wire is positive and which is negative, and connect it accordingly. Double and triple check everything before powering on.
By Sense-A Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:37 pm
NearTao wrote:allendjp... yeah I hear you... on the MPC 500 though, since it takes a 12V 500ma input... I suspect it could be wired up to the proper input... and then the switch might be able to be rewired to the MPC 500 switch... though this seems potentially awkward, since I believe how it shows it to work that you'd have to have the MPC 500 and power bank on in order to recharge the power bank...

I haven't thought about it enough to decide if I'd want to give it a try though :D

You could add a switch so that you choose to either battery power it or power it via AC outlet.

The wiring to switch between two power sources would look something like what this guy did with his bike:
On/Off/On Toggle switch to 2 separate power sources?
https://www.instructables.com/community ... er-source/

1 would be the stock AC powered outlet
3 would be the new lithium battery you wired up

Since there are two voltage rails, one 5v and one 12v, you might have to put in two switches or else I think there is a better design so that one switch could alter the pathway of two rails. Haven't figured out how to draw it up yet but it might require an intermediate circuit.
By NearTao Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:59 pm
Sense-A wrote:Since there are two voltage rails, one 5v and one 12v, you might have to put in two switches or else I think there is a better design so that one switch could alter the pathway of two rails. Haven't figured out how to draw it up yet but it might require an intermediate circuit.

You can definitely get switches that have parallel rails, so that you can use one switch to wire up and provide two different voltages. The MPC 500 has two different power paths, 12v powered input, and 9v for battery input... so I expect that you could use either of those paths and let the rest of the existing hardware handle the 12v/5v conversion to simplify the implementation for the MPC 500. All that said, I feel like I've heavily gone off topic from the original MPC 1000 Mod... which is still super cool :D
By allendjp Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:46 am
Sense-A wrote:
allendjp wrote:Thanks Sense-A!

DC voltage is indeed polar. The battery pack pictured is likely center positive, negative shield. Or vice versa. So you connect the plug on that end, cut it on the other, test it with multimeter to see which wire is positive and which is negative, and connect it accordingly. Double and triple check everything before powering on.

having a +12V and a -12V input DOES NOT mean you connect the positive terminal to +12 and the negative to -12V. You are closing a circuit between those two points and I guarantee you will destroy your MPC. A negative voltage rail is treated as its own voltage and will use the same ground as the positive rail.
By allendjp Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:48 am
NearTao wrote:allendjp... yeah I hear you... on the MPC 500 though, since it takes a 12V 500ma input... I suspect it could be wired up to the proper input... and then the switch might be able to be rewired to the MPC 500 switch... though this seems potentially awkward, since I believe how it shows it to work that you'd have to have the MPC 500 and power bank on in order to recharge the power bank...

Oh that bank is perfectly fine for the MPC500... I was referring to it being used to power the 1K.