Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By sheateeley Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:50 pm
Hey everyone, I'm new here, and new to the world of hardware synths. I apologize profusely if this has already been discussed to death here, but I've spent hours and hours scouring the web trying to find answers/advice to my questions, but haven't really found concrete answers.

First, my setup is:
MPC 1000 (as centerpiece)
Digitakt (intended for drums)
Moog Minitaur (bass)
iPad (as a stand-in for general synth stuff until I get another piece of hardware)

Right now, I have MIDI Out from the MPC going into a thru box and out to the other gear (iPad connected via USB MIDI host).

Short version of my question: When using an MPC in conjunction with a separate drum machine, do you program the patterns into the drum machine and trigger entire patterns from the MPC, or do you program the entire drum MIDI into the MPC?

Long version: I know the MPC can obviously be used for drums, but I noticed a lot of people sequencing a separate drum machine from the MPC, which is why I got the Digitakt. However, the main issue I'm having is figuring out the most efficient way to control the DT from the MPC. I assumed that most people are programming their patterns in the DT (or whatever drum machine), and triggering said patterns via the MPC. Is this how most people do it, or am I mistaken in thinking people are using this workflow?

The other main question I have is: Since each sample in the DT is assigned to its own MIDI channel, there a way to assign each pad on the MPC to correlate with the DT? I saw someone in a YouTube video do this, but they didn't explain the routing. I know how to assign different tracks to their own MIDI channels, but I'd really like to be able to play an entire drum part on one program/set of pads.

Any other general tips any of you might have would also be greatly appreciated. I'm having a much harder time finding information about setups like this than I thought I would, and I would really like to get the whole thing set up (correctly) so I can get to the fun part of actually playing.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
By verde Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:21 pm
hey!

Not really an answer, but adding to the discussion. I have the same 2 sampler/sequencers. I've been playing with the digitakt for a couple of years now, but got the MPC 1000 a week ago (and am very glad for it!). I haven't used them alongside each other, but will sometime. I haven't yet experienced MIDI sequencing from the MPC, but digitakt works great for that demand.

So, how actually do you want do organize your sequencing setup? Why MPC -> digitakt? As a sequencer, digitakt has some great capabilities - step sequencing probability, for example. I don't know what kind of sounds you are going to send from the MPC, but consider the other way around, using the digitakt as the main sequencer.

Also, one of the things that I'm most enjoying out of the MPC in comparison to the DT is the swing and non-quantization. I'm starting to sense the differences to the songs I make depending on where it was made. I feel that digitakt is great for improvising on the fly, setting precise improbabilities, but the MPC is amazing at engaging the body and a "human feel" to the music.

but, maybe as an answer: sometimes just having a clock sync between the machines might work. of course you would have to to the program changes by hand, it sounds sketchy but does work. also, it's fun to experiment changing program on one equipment first and then afterwards in the other. it could make you think as if you were playing with a DJ deck, one being one song mixed into the other.

cheers!