Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By lilblizzard97 Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:18 pm
Hey there,

It's time for me to replace the encoder for the jog wheel on my 1000. I have the old style PCB, so it's a plastic encoder that's in there now and is not functioning properly.

Here's the metal encoder that I order from Mouser (EC12E24204A2): https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/688-EC12E24204A2

From what I understand, this is not a drop-in replacement. The pins of the new encoder need to be jumped to the right spots on the PCB. There are a couple thread on the forum that talk about this, but all of them have expired images. I've also reached out to mpcstuff for their input, but haven't heard back. From what I've seen, there aren't any images/videos on how to do this mod anywhere. That being said - does anyone have photo or video documentation of this mod?

Thanks for any and all input,
LB97 :nod:
By Sense-A Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:23 pm
On the encoder you linked to, it appears that common is the center pin, with the others being A and B.

A and B are rated at 0.5mA 5V DC

Common is 1mA 5V DC rated

the jog wheel in service manual is labeled 38 ES-821759X SW R.ENCORDER SIM-026MT R66 5214

Related to the J102 block in diagram. ENCA and ENCB of the jog wheel connect to IPF0 and IPF1, respectively.

In the stock mpc 1000 service manual diagram, it looks like pin 1 is ground (common) and the middle pin is ENCB and the third pin is ENCA. So it does appear they are switched around.

You'd have to connect the top (first) pin on the mpc 1000 to the middle pin of your new encoder.

The middle pin on mpc 1000 connects to the third pin on your new encoder.

The third pin (bottom) of your mpc 1000 then connects to the first pin of your new encoder.

See diagram on page 19 of service manual for assistance. Page 3 of the documentation for your new encoder on mouser shows pins A C and B in the diagram in the style block.

I didn't research what ratings or voltages are involved and assume you or someone else already checked that part out to confirm compatibility.
By lilblizzard97 Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:11 am
Sense-A wrote:I'd like to add that switching around these pins seems a bit tedious. I'd probably spend more time trying to find a drop in replacement rather than jump cabling pins around to different places to force this encoder replacement to work.

Thanks a lot for your insights. Unfortunately, it seems that a drop in replacement is impossible to find. It would be a much easier option, but i feel like my only option is to hack this one onto the PCB. Makes me wonder what people are doing when their jog wher stops working.
By lilblizzard97 Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:13 am
Sense-A wrote:I'd like to add that switching around these pins seems a bit tedious. I'd probably spend more time trying to find a drop in replacement rather than jump cabling pins around to different places to force this encoder replacement to work.

Thanks a lot for your insights. Unfortunately, it seems that a drop in replacement is impossible to find. It would be a much easier option, but i feel like my only option is to hack this one onto the PCB. Makes me wonder what people are doing when their jog wher stops working.