Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By cyclingdelights Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:31 am
So I bought a used MPC1000 online recently and the seller was not at all honest about how beat up this thing is. It honestly looks like it got dropped down a staircase or something. Among its many quirks is a recurring noise that sounds like wind scratching/distorting a lapel mic. It seems related to the volume knob somehow, as it changes instantly when I merely tap or rotate the volume knob (no matter what volume the knob is set to.) The level of the noise is completely independent of the MPC's output volume setting––the volume can be set to zero and the noise will still come through loud and clear––and it comes through the ST OUT and PHONES identically. When I tap the volume knob, the noise randomizes somewhat in veracity. It also reacts to pressure. Sometimes when I tap it it completely disappears for a while, but it inevitably returns at some point.

I opened the chassis up and removed the volume knob but I couldn't identify anything amiss with the hardware. I sprayed the area with dust-off which seemed to help silence the noise for a day or two, but it has now returned just as loud as before.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is there anything I can do to fix it? What part probably needs to be replaced? Help!