Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Gentleman Bastard Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:55 am
Hey all,
I managed to snag an absolute deal on an MPC 1000 for $100. The prior owner had it somewhat taken apart, however he is a hobbyist guitar/bass amplifier repair guy. So he "knows" his way around some things. But the OS type issues stumped him. It was stuck in Bootlock mode and all that jazz. Once I got it home I had a tinker and got that part sorted. During my exploration I discovered it had the pad upgrade as well as 128mb expansion. The screen is dim, I tried the options for adjusting the contrast for both Og OS and the JJos1 that it has, but no luck. I have a suspicion that its actually the data wheel that is the issue and not the screen itself. I do plan to swap the screen for a black LCD. I have checked out a couple videos about trying to fix it without needed to replace the board and all that. It seemed a bit finicky, I can solder and de-solder just fine. but some of the finer movement in the videos is above my current dexterity.
So long story short, I'm I better off not dealing with it and replacing the full board, or trying to fix it first then replacing the board if I come up empty handed?
By Gentleman Bastard Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:24 am
NearTao wrote:might be worth trying to re-solder it in case it's just a bad joint.

I discovered that they appeared to have soldered the metal pot as if it was the plastic. Will address tomorrow. Should fix the issue. Then onto the screen to determine if it's dead or just a faulty pot to control contrast