Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By matthewkill Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:23 pm
Greetings all!

I have a blue unit MPC1000, I recently upgraded the son-of-a-bitching data encoder and threw in a 2GB cf and RAM expansion. I ordered a HYNIX 256MB PC133 CL3 SDRAM SODIMM 144pin Memory from eBay. It worked for 5-10 minutes and then all outgoing audio (every output) emitted that god awful TV/White Noise/Static/Glitch sound. Luckily, my search on this forum came up with the solution to remove the RAM upgrade- this indeed did the trick for stopping that noise. Not before it caused an emergency protection mode that said there was no OS found. I removed the RAM and then had to re-install JJOS-free from the original 32mb card.

I ordered a new EXM128 Keystron version off of eBay directly from Keystron's store. My question is: is it more likely that the random Hynix RAM I ordered was corrupted/damaged somehow? What are the odds that my RAM port (?is that what it's called?) is damaged and is causing this corruption issue?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!
By matthewkill Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:53 pm
Update to anyone lurking in the future: installed the Keystron 128mb Ram expansion that I bought directly from them on their eBay store. Works great, haven't had any corruption issues. It appears using the Hynix Ram was the culprit and it would fritz out after 30secs-1min of use. Whether that unit in particular was defective or not, I have no idea.
By Sense-A Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:53 pm
Glad you fixed it.

Could be you just got bad ram off ebay. It happens. Or just handling it.

I remember back in the 1990's just 1mb of ram was several hundreds of dollars. We would take every precaution to ground ourselves, use non-static bags etc.

Now ram is much cheaper and you can gamble more with it or be less careful since less money is at stake.
By Lampdog Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:57 pm
I’ve not ONCE had correctly working Hynix ram.
By matthewkill Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:17 pm
Lampdog wrote:I’ve not ONCE had correctly working Hynix ram.

That is good to know for the future!

Sense-A wrote:Glad you fixed it.

Could be you just got bad ram off ebay. It happens. Or just handling it.

I remember back in the 1990's just 1mb of ram was several hundreds of dollars. We would take every precaution to ground ourselves, use non-static bags etc.

Now ram is much cheaper and you can gamble more with it or be less careful since less money is at stake.

Thanks, me too! I figured it was a bad one; it came wrapped in bubble wrap in an envelope, but the Keystron came in an anti-static baggie. It's perfectly plausible I killed it too as I wasn't super careful...

Just super relieved. Now that I have a 2gb cf and I re-soldered in a new data encoder, I am in love with this machine!
By richie Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:29 am
Hynix is one of the top memory manufacturers next to Samsung in the world.

Hynix OEM's for all major ram manufacturers, they're not garbage ram but it is possible to get a faulty stick of RAM like anything in life.

I truly believe you simply got a bad ram stick. I've used double sided 256 meg modules in MPC 1000's without a single issue *shrug*.