Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By jorahzo Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:43 pm
Hello, I recently borrowed a friend's MPC1K and have been excited to get busy on it. I gave it a shot a few days ago and found that:
1. The output is very low. I can barely a signal when I adjust the main dial to max.
2. I'm only getting audio out of 1 channel on the main output(I believe it's left)
I've tried using the headphone output(seeing similar behavior), switching between AKAI OS and JJOS on boot up, reseating the RAM, as well reseating as one of the main output audio connectors. I've tried dialing around on the global volume, but not too sure If I've been doing it correctly. Here are some pictures of my findings:

A. https://tinypic.host/i/btYRJ

B. https://tinypic.host/i/btUej

C. https://tinypic.host/i/btZrS

Image A) This cable doesn't seem to want to sit flush in this connector. Unsure if this is normal, but I have attempted to reseat it and no change in behavior.
Image B) This ground cable seems to have torn off of the nut assembly to chassis. My impression is that the MPC could have been damaged by some power phenomenon if it wasn't grounded properly?
Image C) Nothing seems too fishy with the power supply board, I was initially worried by the browning on it, but that looks normal from what I've seen on other boards.

Do any of ya'll have suggestions on how to move forward? Any other software things worth trying? My next hunch is to get to and investigate the audio board that I believe is sandwiched in the middle of the unit.
By WASKMUSIC Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:30 pm
The ground cable should be fixed for sure but doesn't make a difference regarding your issue i guess.

Take the volume knob off and check the pot underneath: Does it wiggle a lot on the stem? Inspect the underside and see if it is soldered on correctly. It is a common issue that people let things fall on the volume pots and they crack the board/traces.
By jorahzo Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:50 pm

Stem is fairly firm in place. I don't see any weak solder points on the back of this board. The main volume does seem to work for me, as I can hear static increase and decrease to my interface. Also able to hear my signal very lightly when the knob is at max.
By jorahzo Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:15 pm
Got the left channel working good! Albeit, a little quiet. The right channel sounds quiet and glitchy, barely hearing any high-end. No matter how much I adjust the volume knob, the right channel does not seem to be affected. This is happening on both the main outs and the headphone output.
By WASKMUSIC Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:54 pm
On the second picture there are a few lifted tracks on the record pot, please inspect again (as i can't tell more from the pictures).

It also could be a failed/dirty potentiometer. If you are handy with the soldering iron: Desolder the pot, take it apart, clean it, lube it slightly and put back together and solder in place.

On the 1000, headphone out and main out are both affected when the pot/traces around the pot are damaged. Get a multimeter and check for continuety.