Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Delicutz Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:30 pm
Hello,
My 1000 has been displaying various error messages for a while now, sometimes right after starting and sometimes after a few hours of operation. The following error messages are displayed: "CPU address error (write/read)" or "Illegal general instruction exeption". Have tried with and without RAM, as well as CF. No change. Is this possibly due to the mother/main board?
I found a cheap defective 1000 for sale, but I'm not sure if the same part is defective. The error message there is quite similar: "Illegal Slot Instruction Exception".
I am at my wit's end and hope you might have a tip.
By Sense-A Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:58 pm
Sorry man. That sucks and must be frustrating.

I would not proceed by buying another MPC `1000 with same **** problem. That just doubles your trouble.

Start with just trying to re-install the operating system. Also, write/read errors could possibly be due to a faulty CF card or hard drive if it happens while it is reading or writing data from a medium. So try to notice what you are doing on MPC 1000 when it occurs. A specific task or operation?

If you can't resolve it in software environment, then we have to turn to hardware. Here's what I would do. Clear off a clean work space on a table. Get some containers for screws. Get some tweezers, needle nose pliers, phillips and flat screwdrivers, a can of de-oxit or similar electronics cleaner, a can of air spray or air compressor with air nozzle tip, and disassemble MPC 1000.

Clean everything. Undo each connector, clean and spray pins, and reconnect.

Inspect all parts. Look for discoloration on pcbs, cracked pcbs, scratches across traces, etc.

In area around cpu, clean it really good and use electronics spray cleaner such as De-Oxit or alternative brand and use it liberally to get it looking brand new and clean. spray tact switches with electronics spray.

Look for swollen capacitors or damaged ribbon cables or places that components could be shorting against each other.

Maybe be prepared to solder something if you need to.

Re-assemble carefully. MPC 1000 will love you for the tender love and care and work reliably for now on.