Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Charlie Potatoes Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:10 pm
Peace, so first and foremost, I'm not tech savvy with all this mess so please bare with me. I have tracked out my 1k to a yamaha mt4x multi track cassette recorder. I don't own nor do I want to own a computer and intend to work this way. Until this point it's just been the 1k and my monitors. To make a long story long, I've successfully tracked out 4 tracks as I said, but when I'm in trim I cant hear anything, and, when I go to record a sequence I can't hear the click counting me in. I assumed I need a general stereo out to facilitate all that stuff, so I've plugged into the 1/4 inch outs from the 1k into aux return and basically tried everywhere else they can go into the 4 track to no avail. I can hear trim and the clicks if I put on headphones into the mpc so the mpc is fine and the 4 track is fully operational and in immaculate condition so that can't be an issue. I tried the digital out on the 1k, still nothing. I'm sure it's something simple my dumb ass doesn't know here. Am I supposed to be using the midi outs for this? Please help
By Neurone Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:39 pm
Do you have the manual?

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/6/319716/MT4XE.pdf

The return input has to have it's level turned up and assigned to a bus.
So bus 1&3 would be a stereo pair and 2&4 also, at least it seems that way.
By Charlie Potatoes Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:50 pm
Oh, cool. Thanks gee, I got sound now. Yeah I've got the manual fortunately though I still couldn't figure it out. I can do what I need to do with the 4 track now anyway, though there's tonnes of things It does which I don't understand yet. I've decided I'll just use it for recording the finished beat to. I think Its easier to just mix beats in the 1k and do everything in the box, then just dump the finished beat onto cassette and use it to record my vocals. The limitation of 4 tracks seems like a pain in the ass, even if I can bounce them down. It's a cool way to record though. Chrome tapes, high speed. The shit sounds amazing. You'd never know it was cassette to hear it
By Neurone Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:01 pm
Great stuff.
Yeah, I love the sound from tape, especially when you record right up to zero dB on the meters, you get that lovely tape compression and soft clipping.
Just watch it with the dBX, it can do weird things to hi-hats!!!
By Charlie Potatoes Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:32 pm
A friend mentioned that, I asked if I should get a compressor, he said no because the tape will take care of that. I like having minimal shit anyway, real rugged and simple. I'll just have to experiment with it. I don't like my drums super smacking you in the face though. I like to work with loops mostly, that's the style of production I like, and I try to make the drums sound like they could have already been on the record. So I don't know how all that will work for me, I'll play around and see how it sounds I guess
By Lampdog Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:50 pm
Charlie Potatoes wrote:…... I don't like my drums super smacking you in the face…..

Love drums that smack, slap, strangle listeners even.
By Charlie Potatoes Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:28 am
Haha don't get me wrong I love hearing drums like that, I just don't want my own beats to be like that. I kinda like how Madlib or MF DOOMS drums sit in the mix. More subtle
By Lampdog Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:22 am
I understand.