Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By jazzroom Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 pm
ThaContender wrote:Ok so I've tried two different RAM sticks now and neither work in my 1000. I think the first one was not PC133 but I know for a fact the second one purchased was exactly to spec. 256MB PC133 SODIMM from Computer Memory Solutions. I'm running JJOS 3.16 (the free one) and on the memory check it gets to 49% and then gives me the fail message followed by 88000000

Do I keep trying other brands of RAM or is it possible something is wrong with my sampler?

:Sigh:

Same problem with 3 different memory expantion chips with my mpc1000 Black.

It had 128mb installed and used to work perfect on JJOS 3.18
but after I got it out of the storage where it's been for 8 years , it fails to boot - memory fails :(
Bought 2 new Samsung chips from Ebay the seller has tested them in his mpc ,
but they fail too.

MPC boots well without the expantion into 16mb.
Looks like mpc stopped accepting memory expantions....

What could have happened with my MPC?

Any ideas?
By jazzroom Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:38 pm
NearTao wrote:Might be a dirty connection... tried rubbing alcohol on a qtip and gently rubbing the contacts?

Thanks for reply, I've tried to clean contacts, they looked totally clean.
Tried 3 different memory modules - all failed :(

Mpc seems to see that it's a 128mb memory when it starts checking memory for errors, and than fails at the end ...
that means it's nothing to do with bad contacts....?
What else could be wrong that MPC stopped accepting any memory ..
even the old module that used to work ?
By richie Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:11 am
I personally choose the double sided SODIMM PC133 256MB of memory for best compatibility.

While I do realize that it'll only read 128MB of that, I've found that doing it the way has had the most success vs single sided 128MB SODIMM modules.
By jazzroom Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:49 am
richie wrote:I personally choose the double sided SODIMM PC133 256MB of memory for best compatibility.

While I do realize that it'll only read 128MB of that, I've found that doing it the way has had the most success vs single sided 128MB SODIMM modules.

Yes, the memory module that used to work 10 years ago , but stopped , and 2 other new modules are all double sided Samsung correct type modules...
non work....
There must be something wrong with the mpc ...but what?
Pulling my hair :hmmm:
By jazzroom Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:51 pm
NearTao wrote:Broken memory clip? Are you able to tell if the memory is seated properly?

Memory clip is ok , clicking in, seated well
otherwise how would JJOS 3.16 memory self test by bootloader could see it as 128mb Ram modules if it wasn't seated well or something was broken?
the memory problem started after MPC being stored for 8 years not used....before that memory and operation were ok.
Puzzled :hmmm:
By mr3rown Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:04 pm
The best to way (and might not be possible) to troubleshoot this, would be to use the ram sticks in another MPC1000 or 2500 etc or an old laptop that accepts that SODIMM ram.

I get the impression the MPC is at fault, perhaps setting everything back to factory settings or going back to the original OS and start from there.

By the way the clip and socket might be fine, but something else could be at fault and you might need a decent engineer to do some circuit testing. Just because its been away for 8 years does not mean it did not suffer from something like water, dampness or moisture which can badly damage the internals.
By MIDI BLASTER 6000 Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:43 am
For anyone who wants to know about SD -> CF card adapters, hopefully this is helpful:

I ordered one of the cheapo red "Extreme CF Adapters" on eBay. AVOID. It kind of works to format and load a few samples and then freezes or unmounts. I also tried a silver 16GB SanDisk Ultra 50MB/s card which would just totally freeze the MPC when I tried to save or load.

I ended up ordering a higher quality SD -> CF card adapter from iflash.xyz, which was apparently designed for converting mid 2000s iPods to flash storage. I believe these are designed by Tarkan Akdam. It looks like there are also some on eBay, not sure if they are legit though. I've been using it with a 16GB class 10 SanDisk Ultra microSDHC card (white and gray.) No issues to report so far.
By monkiusz Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:39 pm
Same results here. Extreme CF Adapters is a trash. Also - better stay away from cheap CF card readers, one I've ordered broke after first use. Looking now for better solution / adapter for SD card (no micro sd!).

EDIT: It's possible my fault, because I've tried 64 GB SD card. Looks like maximum size is 32 GB. Will try smaller one.

Combo of usb 1.0 and CF card format in this machine is killing me, no hope for fast file transfer. I mean it's not 3,5 inch floppy diskettes but still...
By Null Sweat Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:48 pm

I bought the CF adapter and SD card, this guy recommended in this video for the 500, a year ago and have had zero issues. Save and load times seem to be about 10-20% faster than the 2GB Akai CF I was using.

Digigear Ultimate CF Adapter - SDXC to Type II CF
SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro

About $35 on Amazon.
By Jamie Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 pm
MIDI BLASTER 6000 wrote:For anyone who wants to know about SD -> CF card adapters, hopefully this is helpful:

I ordered one of the cheapo red "Extreme CF Adapters" on eBay. AVOID. It kind of works to format and load a few samples and then freezes or unmounts. I also tried a silver 16GB SanDisk Ultra 50MB/s card which would just totally freeze the MPC when I tried to save or load.

I ended up ordering a higher quality SD -> CF card adapter from iflash.xyz, which was apparently designed for converting mid 2000s iPods to flash storage. I believe these are designed by Tarkan Akdam. It looks like there are also some on eBay, not sure if they are legit though. I've been using it with a 16GB class 10 SanDisk Ultra microSDHC card (white and gray.) No issues to report so far.

Hi mate,

Was it this adapter you ordered?

https://www.iflash.xyz/store/sdcf-adapter/

If so, have you had any probs since your last post?

Trying to find one that works without ordering outside the UK. Tried a cheapo Extreme one but it was rubbish.
By hazeholiday Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:28 am
Just wanted to report my findings here. Currently using this cheap red Extreme CF>SD adapter and a Samsung 128GB EVO Plus SDXC card, on MPC 2500 with latest JJOS.

I can successfully format the card within JJOS and roughly the correct size is reported after. Can successfully transfer samples to the card from PC but within a short time (seconds, usually) of browsing for samples JJOS essentially crashes; pads become unresponsive, sample list is blanked out and attempting to access any file on the card results in a “File Not Found!” pop-up.

I don’t know whether the adapter is at fault (I’ve seen reports of these red ones not working similarly), card format compatibility (SDXC, although supposedly the adapter is too), or the storage size of the card being too large. I find it odd that the OS sees the entire free space but then locks up, even if that free space is not full; the behavior persists even if I only add a few MB of samples instead of maxing it out like I usually would.

I can rule out the MPC hardware or the sample rate of the WAVs as it works brilliantly with the OEM AKAI 128MB CF card with the same samples. Am thinking about trying a Delock CF>SD adapter in case that is the point of failure. Just posting here in the hopes someone finds an adapter that known-works with this EVO card, so I don’t have to splurge for a new card with less storage.

I haven’t tried reducing the partition size on the card yet but will and report back on whether that is successful or not.

Guess I’m gonna have to install the hard drive after all (already have that and the kit on hand)… sigh.

UPDATE: Most users who report success are, I think, using 32GB cards, which is the storage limit for the FAT32 disk partition that the MPC uses. What I can’t figure out is how folks with 128GB microSDs are able to use those given that limitation — JJOS doesn’t like exFAT as far as I can tell.
By MIDI BLASTER 6000 Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:24 pm
Jamie wrote:Hi mate,

Was it this adapter you ordered?

https://www.iflash.xyz/store/sdcf-adapter/

If so, have you had any probs since your last post?

Trying to find one that works without ordering outside the UK. Tried a cheapo Extreme one but it was rubbish.

That's the one. Way late response, but I have been using this adapter with no issues since I made that post.

A few other notes:

• I have an MPC1000 running JJOS2XL, the guy in that video is using an MPC500
  • I'm using a Patriot microSD -> SD adapter inside of the SD -> CF adapter
  • The video mentions those microSD cards not working. It could also be an issue with the microSD -> SD adapter he's using, or the SD -> CF card adapter he's using not supporting whatever standards those microSD cards use
  • FAT32 itself has a partition size limit of 2TB, so it really comes down to what the MPC can handle. It seems like based on that video it's at least 64GB, thought this could differ between the 500 and 1000.

I mostly use the MPC as a drum machine and sequencer, so I haven't gotten anywhere close to filling up my 16GB card. I don't have any spare cards that are 128GB+ at the moment, but I'd be curious to see if they work.

hazeholiday, that behavior sounds very similar to what I experienced trying to use the Extreme CF adapter. It seems like everyone else has gotten the same results, so it's probably safe to say it's not compatible. I'd try a different adapter.