Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum

By colonyrecords Fri May 20, 2005 3:59 pm
**** ram failed , samsung 144pin 256mb pc133 sodimm

on the first pass stopped at 74%.

damn and akai doesnt ship to canada anymore, **** **** ****.

By colonyrecords Fri May 20, 2005 4:01 pm
when it was checking it said 128mb , i give up cuz im not buying any other ram for this shit
By goldenechos Fri May 20, 2005 4:52 pm
I have not yet upgraded. But those who have, can you answer this detail? I think this might be the key to some of the failed upgrades.

I believe it is 8 chips, So that 4 32MB components are on the one side the MPC1000 can read, thus giving 128mb of memory.

T
By 40Immortal Fri May 20, 2005 8:43 pm
goldenechos wrote:I have not yet upgraded. But those who have, can you answer this detail? I think this might be the key to some of the failed upgrades.

I believe it is 8 chips, So that 4 32MB components are on the one side the MPC1000 can read, thus giving 128mb of memory.

T

Yes, I hope that is correct because I just order an 8 chip module (4 on each side, each chip being 32mb). I'm a bit worried now that it didn't work for colonyrecords. But colonyrecords, if you can sell that memory on ebay and make some of the money back then I have seen the official unit going for real cheap here:

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_akai_exm12 ... dinfo.html

I think they will deliver to Canada
By colonyrecords Fri May 20, 2005 10:01 pm
40Immortal wrote:
goldenechos wrote:I have not yet upgraded. But those who have, can you answer this detail? I think this might be the key to some of the failed upgrades.

T

Yes, I hope that is correct because I just order an 8 chip module (4 on each side, each chip being 32mb). I'm a bit worried now that it didn't work for colonyrecords. But colonyrecords, if you can sell that memory on ebay and make some of the money back then I have seen the official unit going for real cheap here:

man im confused as **** now, I checked the more detail specs of the samsung ram i have that failed and its 32M * 8 which probably means each chip is 32Mb. So i wouldnt suggest any ram saying 32 * 8 but then again I dont know.

I checked the specs for the Kingston ram everyone has that is working and that one is 16mb * 16. Im a try and find the kingston in Canada but its hard.

The music store up in Toronto said since numark bout out akai they want to charge them double the price for their products so they wont buy Akai stuff anymore until the price thing is resolved.
By 40Immortal Fri May 20, 2005 11:12 pm
colonyrecords wrote:
40Immortal wrote:

T

man im confused as **** now, I checked the more detail specs of the samsung ram i have that failed and its 32M * 8 which probably means each chip is 32Mb. So i wouldnt suggest any ram saying 32 * 8 but then again I dont know.

I checked the specs for the Kingston ram everyone has that is working and that one is 16mb * 16. Im a try and find the kingston in Canada but its hard.

The music store up in Toronto said since numark bout out akai they want to charge them double the price for their products so they wont buy Akai stuff anymore until the price thing is resolved.

Yeah, I checked the Kingston ram and it said 16*16 too, but I don't think that actually refers to the number of chips anymore because after looking around a lot I've seen different configs like 16x16, 64x16 etc and they all have 4 chips on each side. I don't know if the configuration is important or not...

Is there anything stopping you from buying off of ebay in the US? I saw a Kingston 133mhz 256mb CL3 144pin stick of RAM on there just now. Once I get my stick of RAM I'll post up if it worked or not and I'll include the configuration (i'm pretty sure its not 16x16 so fingers crossed!).

EDIT Oh yeah, the RAM you bought, can you make sure if it is all these things did it say if it was CL3?

By colonyrecords Sat May 21, 2005 2:18 am
yeah the shop said it was cl3 , but when i searched it didnt see anything on cl3 on the samsung website.

you are right about the chips cuz all of them appear to have 4 chips on each side so thats not the problem. Its the specs inside each chip, 16*16 , 32*8 ....

I ordered the kingston ram from a store i found but its only a online store,

ramstore.ca , wonder how long they will take still...

By goldenechos Mon May 23, 2005 10:04 pm
Just had a great 128MB success w/ 256mb Infineon 144pin SODIMM PC133 SDRAM CL3 Memory I purchased off ebay for $25 BIN.

I will now attempt to load EVERY drum sound I have into my 1000!
Ok, I did that and I still have at least 10 minutes of MONO sampling time available. This rules.

For the record, the chip had 4 components per side and is marked 32Mx64.

T

By colonyrecords Tue May 24, 2005 6:52 pm
if anybody cares, i think I figured out why the samsung ram i bought didnt work and why the kingston and other rams work.

the thing to look for is the ram organization.

the samsungs organization is - 32M*8bit (never gonna work)

kingston and the others have a 32M*64bit organization which works out somehow to 8 chips each being 16M*16bit.

The exm 128 memory has only 4 chips each 16M*16bit and thats all it needs.

So the mpc 1000 only uses 4 of the 8 chip 16M * 16bit chips on those 256mb cards.

Dont make a mistake like me, just buy the kingston ram or make sure the ram you are buying has 4 16M*16bit chips, cuz that seems to be all the mpc needs.

By goldenechos Tue May 24, 2005 6:54 pm
That makes great sense.

My 32Mx64 worked great.

Thanx for clearing that up.
T

By Penfold Wed May 25, 2005 7:44 pm
nice one..

By 40Immortal Wed May 25, 2005 11:33 pm
Ok, I got my MPC1000 in today (very impressed, love it) and I put in my memory which was Samsung 144pin 133mhz CL3 256mb SODIMM (for laptops) and it worked.

So thanks for all the advice.. made a massive saving!

By Penfold Tue May 31, 2005 12:25 am
thanks, thats another one to add to the list...

By Bene Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:46 pm
just to be sure: i´ll go best (as recommended) with the kingston ram and a kingston cf card, right?

now start gettin´ angry because of that noob :)