Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum

By nightvoyager Fri May 13, 2005 2:27 pm
do a search, this was brought up before.

the mpc 1000 uses a FAT16 file format system. FAT16 can only support up to 2GB

...wow...that's right, I guess I've been a mac user for so long that I forgot about the limitations of the FAT file system....I totally forgot about that...that's cool, now I have a way better CF for my digital camera.... :wink:

B 8)

By sparq Sat May 14, 2005 2:08 pm
in the infamous words of Penfold...............

BUMP

By Definition Sat May 14, 2005 10:53 pm
I don't understand how anyone could get confused in this thread at all, I just got my MPC, checked on Ebuyer, picked up the Kingston RAM, piece of piss to install and your away. I don't think you could really make it any clearer.

By sparq Sun May 15, 2005 3:26 am
Definition wrote:I don't understand how anyone could get confused in this thread at all, I just got my MPC, checked on Ebuyer, picked up the Kingston RAM, piece of piss to install and your away. I don't think you could really make it any clearer.

thank you and i'm sure penfold thanks you. but as you read (if you did read the entire thread) there are those of us forum-ers who are a bit challenged. it would help if you can spread your understanding of this thread to all you know.

By Penfold Sun May 15, 2005 4:26 pm
sparq wrote:
Definition wrote:I don't understand how anyone could get confused in this thread at all, I just got my MPC, checked on Ebuyer, picked up the Kingston RAM, piece of piss to install and your away. I don't think you could really make it any clearer.

thank you and i'm sure penfold thanks you. but as you read (if you did read the entire thread) there are those of us forum-ers who are a bit challenged. it would help if you can spread your understanding of this thread to all you know.

"... there are those of us forum-ers who are a bit challenged."
HAHAHAHAHA! ya damn skippy!!! bloody imbercils!! and i do thank you also..

By tiger vomitt Mon May 16, 2005 1:22 am
i got the viking 1 gb cf card that was on sale from buy.com last week (still on sale i think)

this thing is kinda messed up

half the time the sequences load all screwed up, lots of clicks at the end of samples

when i eject it from the card reader i have hooked up to my mac, most of the time i get a "Device Removal..." error (usually happens if you dont unmount the disk/card first, which of course i did). the other 2 cards i have work fine, and continue to work fine

gonna return it tomorrow. anyone get one and have it work correctly???

By sparq Mon May 16, 2005 5:46 am
sorry, i can't help you. i've never used viking. was the card properly formatted? (FAT file format)? did you format it in the MAC or MPC? if you tried this, then i would say take it back.

as far as your samples clicking, it sounds like they need to be re sampled and trimmed the right way.

By tiger vomitt Mon May 16, 2005 5:55 am
sparq wrote:
sorry, i can't help you. i've never used viking. was the card properly formatted? (FAT file format)?

did you format it in the MAC or MPC? if you tried this, then i would say take it back.

yeah, i formatted it in the mpc about 5 times. basically every time something would load up corrupt i would reformat the card and try again. i did that maybe 5 or 10 times before just saying damn this card is ****

ever load up a project, go to a sequence's step edit window and see all kinds of nonsense like question marks and lots of dashes? that's what happens when you get a file load gone wrong

as far as your samples clicking, it sounds like they need to be re sampled and trimmed the right way.

these were clean samples that i had just trimmed in Peak, exported as a 16 bit wav and put on the cf card. loaded it into the mpc, and boom there's that blip that was supposed to be fixed in os1.06 or 1.07 (i forget which one it was)

By 40Immortal Thu May 19, 2005 9:35 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I have just bought an MPC1000 and I'm looking to get some extra ram. On ebay there are a lot of 256mb 144pin SODIMMs advertised but they don't mention the CL3 thing. Can I assume that most of them will be CL3?

Thanks

By colonyrecords Thu May 19, 2005 11:02 pm
i finally found the memory up here in toronto, but they have two types:

pc133 144pin 256mb sodimm - 8 chips

and

pc133 144pin 256mb sodimm - 16 chips

the 16 chips is $40 more and costs $150 canadian(which is way too much)

any info on 16 chips or 8 chips ???

By metafor Thu May 19, 2005 11:15 pm
To allow ones mpc to hold more sample time, and or more samples. 24min in mono, and 12 mins in stereo i believe.

By colonyrecords Thu May 19, 2005 11:33 pm
for the people who's ram works, do yall have 8 chips or 16 chips for yor ram????

By 40Immortal Fri May 20, 2005 8:32 am
colonyrecords wrote:for the people who's ram works, do yall have 8 chips or 16 chips for yor ram????

Hi,

I'm not sure myself, I'm still waiting to buy mine, but I think you're looking for 4 chips on each side.

By colonyrecords Fri May 20, 2005 11:06 am
40Immortal wrote:
colonyrecords wrote:for the people who's ram works, do yall have 8 chips or 16 chips for yor ram????

Hi,

I'm not sure myself, I'm still waiting to buy mine, but I think you're looking for 4 chips on each side.

is 4 chips on each side the same as 8 chips, i guess right???

By 40Immortal Fri May 20, 2005 1:44 pm
colonyrecords wrote:
40Immortal wrote:

Hi,

is 4 chips on each side the same as 8 chips, i guess right???

Hi,

In the pictures I have seen, they have 4 ram chips on each side, so yes it looks like we need 8 chips. Can anyone confirm?

Also, a lot of memory modules say "Built using a 16x16 chipset". If I just get a PC133 144 Pin CL3 SODIMM 256mb, I should be ok, and wouldn't need to worry about the 16x16 chipset etc?

Thanks