Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum

By Niceweis914 Thu May 12, 2005 3:51 pm
No, go get that electribe thing

By truvc Thu May 12, 2005 4:21 pm
i do. but i got the mpc only a couple of week ago so i have not recorded anything with it yet.

where i am from lots of people (including some friends) do some techno with their mpc. And the mutes are perfect for playing live.

i will use the mpc mainly for drums, i have a yamaha qy100 for sequencing my synths (nice seq for melodies).

are you planning to do tracks or livetsets, or both ?

By v00d00ppl Thu May 12, 2005 4:59 pm
i do.......dont get an electribe.........get an mpc......you can layer your drums and playing with the mutes and solos make this a fun live instrument. did i mention the 128mb of sampling ram and four banks of 16 pads per a program. In the words of Napoleon Dynamite.....lucky!

By Tylox Thu May 12, 2005 7:09 pm
I make techno(usually non-4 on the floor), dnb, breaks, and hip hop on my mpc.

By metafor Thu May 12, 2005 7:57 pm
I've tried makin DnB on my mpc, but feel way more comfortable using Acid, but i do like using the 16 level to freak some issh on my dnb track,and drums and what not.

By nightvoyager Thu May 12, 2005 9:40 pm
I don't do Techno, if it was 1994, I guess I would. I do more of a Deep House/Progressive Trance/Breakbeats/Ambient. I've tried to blend different types of styles together. I've got alot of experimental tracks with Breakbeat, and hard bass-lines, with a soft Ambient-like flow. I also like blending Progressive Trance with Chicago style house beats......no loops, everything from scratch. I like the fact of making dance music that is more melotic, and atmospheric......tracks that you can dance to, but can still chill out and listen to kicking back as well......

B 8)

By carl_taylor Fri May 13, 2005 12:48 am
MPC's are perfect for Techno, especially the Detroit kind... you can really get the feeling into the drums... miles better than drawing notes in on the PC!

By jksuperstar Fri May 13, 2005 2:18 am
Your only tangle with the MPC & techno is the filters: not much here. No real time sweeps, nothing outside the atypical lp, bp, hp. Also, no modulation. And no pitch bending. Oh, and you can't record mutes. It's ok for taking sample loops on the road, and it's very quick to lay down a drum track, but it's sequencer is pretty weak (that's going to trigger a whole bunch of "No way, it's soooo tight!" comments, but as far as feel and feature, it doesn't compare to Live, Yamaha, or much software these days). For techno, create your beats on the PC, and take the MPC on the road. Or, get a laptop. Or, get a yamaha RX-something.

By professionalmisconduct Fri May 13, 2005 9:13 am
i play the beats into the pc via roland drum pads and then use the sequence to trigger the pads of the mpc when playing live. I combine this with a G2 modular for leads etc. and a bass station for bass...all through a midas desk. We have juno reverbs and lexicon delays with a DBX multiband compressor for the final mix.....i then use logic to play other samples etc...and as a tool for live re-mixing...the overall sound is phat...no polyphony is really lost as it is when using any of those instruments to do alot......we play nation wide on our funktion one and turbosound rigg...so if any of you are around england come to one of our gigs.......with the MPC on the drums the sound never fails to pump...PEACE 8)
By granted Fri May 13, 2005 1:33 pm
The sequencer is tight and is excellent for House/Techno. I use it for drum samples/hits stabs/ in the MPC1000 then I use the MIDI to drive external gear (micron, fantom XR, Korg EMX). It's awesome.
The sequencer is pattern based. (But not XOX type -like the EMX).
It also has a very cool - track mute feature that is great for jammin' it live.
What it is missing ( not a feature I want though) is PRESET Patterns that a lot of the lame groove boxes have. And I guess Loop stretching if your are one of those people who use loops.
The MPC1000 is the best sequencer out there right now if you want to create completely original music.

By cut out Fri May 13, 2005 3:02 pm
i have used it for playing techno, but it is not the best piece of kit for this imo. the 1k is a great, solid sampler/sequencer but the prospects for freaking the $hit out of sounds is very limited - as mentioned above, the Korg Electibes are much better for this sort of thing. I also find the lack of a freeze function for track mutes when switching between sequences very limiting when playing live.

Having said that, with enough other kit and using it intuitively the 1k is undoubtably a great piece of kit for making ANY sort of music :)

By splinter Fri May 13, 2005 3:33 pm
I don't do Techno, if it was 1994, I guess I would.

what a totally BS remark. You just carry on with ya ambient progressive trance tip
YAWWWWWWNNNNZZzzzzzzzzzz.... :wink:

The best hip hop seems to be from late 80's early 90's so does that mean everyone should ave stopped making it in 94.. :?:

Do what ya feel not what some magazine tells ya is the "in" sound..

My 2p's