Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By JeriKo Jackson Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:59 pm
If there is an ssd drive solution I would love to know... I tried to find one for some time but gave up. I actually do not recommend and HDD in the 1k at all. I have had 3 units and used Hard Drives in 2 of them. The 1k has no ventilation and suffers badly in my experience from the excess heat generated by the HDD. Over time I experienced a lot of failing tact switches and other general glitchiness, and freezing.

The cf card adapter for a 64gb micro sd is a solid alternative. Incidentally, I used 120gb HDDs.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:19 pm
To be honest with you JeriKo Jackson you won't really benefit much performance wise in finding a SSD that's compatible with the old computer architecture that the 1000 uses. In reality sure you might achieve a few percentage in loading/saving performance, longer life and no heat over a hard disk drive but it doesn't justice the price tag for the privilege of using a SSD. The best and cheaper solution is to go down the Micro SD or find a cheap large gigabyte compact flash route as a hassle free Solid State alternative.

Regarding the failing tact switches, it's more down to the cheap tact switches that we used in the design and manufacturing then caused by heat from the HDD, a quick search on here will give you all the information as well as the item code for the Alps replacements that are more reliable then the original ones and should of been used in the first place in my opinion.

General glitchness and freezing could be attributable from your HDD spinning up and down while in uses, the vibration could loosen ribbon cable inside the machine, so it might be worth opening up your 1000 and taking making sure that something hasn't wiggled loose overtime.
By JeriKo Jackson Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:02 am
Oh yeah I'm absolutely in the micro sd camp. I no longer use hdd in my 1k. I removed it from 2nd 1k as I suspected it was causing some of my performance issues. I assumed heat would affect processing much like a PC, though readily admit I'm no expert.

In my latest 1k which I have owned now for 3 years... I have had no issues. HDD definitely provides faster load/save and transfer speeds than the cf cards I've used. Is there a micro ad card adapter that can offer comparable speeds?
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:02 pm
A micro SD card adapter is a passive device, meaning it does nothing but provide a set of contact points bridging those on the micro SD card and those on the SD slot. That being the case, it should pretty much either work or not work, but won't impact data transfer performance.

It's all to do with your Micro SD card, obviously as we are using old computer architecture in the MPC 1000 some Micro SD cards will work better then others when read/writing to what kind of average transfer speeds you get.

Maybe worth doing a bit of research by searching google and seeing what other people are using, then upgrade your Micro SD card as they are pretty cheap.

Re:

By koncepticon Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:07 am
sparq wrote:akai did not test the 100gb drive. the highest akai tested was 80gb. i just went and bought it. i am not sure if it will take anything bigger than 100gb. you can try it. if it works, post it up in this thread. i don't know if this will help but i've read where ppl over in the 4k section put in a 120gb hard drive. the 4k architecture is different than the 1k so i don't know.

but if you do try anything larger than 100gb find out about their return policy in case it doesn't work. most online places will take it back with a 15% restocking fee. so be carefull.

Nice. I can add this much -- if it accepts over 2GB [it does], then the upper limit of the readable space for the drive [should] be no more than 2TB. Although you might run into other kinds of detection issues when using drives over 500GB (assuming there is a version of this adapter that fits SATA drives). I would not really recommend hunting for 10 year old hard drives if you plan to rely on them, but if you do - smaller drives in a series last longer, i.e if *WD offers 1TB and a 2TB drive - they are probably the same internally but the 1TB only uses the middle of the platter while the 2TB reaches out farther, and has greater chance of eventually seizing.

**Also, i haven't tried this yet, probably will not need to because i have a 60GB CF card already. That works very well. Still, it would be nice to have another backup. I will certainly wait until its safe to try this with a SSD, based on the OP's comments.

Happy sampling
By arso96 Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:02 pm
Hello!
If you’re looking to increase your sample time, please do not expect it to do so by installing an external hard drive. For this, you need Akai’s EXM128, a 128 MB memory expansion device (increases record\sample time to 24 min).
Arso
By MegaTON Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:34 pm
Recently had my CF drive mess up (bent pin) and got a HD for it - cheaper than replacing cf reader

This one works great - no problems so far easy to install

Hitachi Travelstar 80GB 2.5" IDE Hard Drive HTS541080G9AT00 5400 RPM HDD US SHIP

got it off ebay for $15 and change and free shipping, its an older hard drive but it was still sealed old stock from before

heard anything over 80gb is more likely to **** up
By Metaphor Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:39 am
JeriKo Jackson wrote:If there is an ssd drive solution I would love to know... I tried to find one for some time but gave up. I actually do not recommend and HDD in the 1k at all. I have had 3 units and used Hard Drives in 2 of them. The 1k has no ventilation and suffers badly in my experience from the excess heat generated by the HDD. Over time I experienced a lot of failing tact switches and other general glitchiness, and freezing.

The cf card adapter for a 64gb micro sd is a solid alternative. Incidentally, I used 120gb HDDs.

I upgraded my MPC 1000 with an SSD succesfully a few days ago. JJ form JJ Soft/JJOS showed the mod on his Youtube channel.

You need the regular Akai HD-Kit, an adapter for the SSD and a m2SATA SSD and you are good to go. Loading times are not that much different because the IDE connector is very slow but the MPC 1000 is now completely silent and doesn` t get that hot with the SSD inside. For me it worked like a charme. Installed th SSD, formatted it via USB-Load screen an everythig worked flawlessly...

Adapter: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ELC ... UTF8&psc=1

SSD: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07CFR ... UTF8&psc=1

Enjoy!
By Lampdog Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:03 am
What’s the max partition size the 1k OS can handle?
Do you need a specific format to handle a specific partition size?
By hyena Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:34 am
Lampdog wrote:What’s the max partition size the 1k OS can handle?
Do you need a specific format to handle a specific partition size?

i think max space the mpc will read is 128 gb, even if you put a larger hd it will read up to 128.
you better format disks directly with the mpc, even if it should be a fat 32