Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By distortedtekno Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:18 am
sparq wrote:As the HDM10 is becomming more readily available, i want to start a thread where everyone can post which hard drive you purchased and if it worked or didn't work.

i'll start!

i have a Toshiba MK1032GAX 100GB 5400RPM 16MB cache it came up and worked with no problems.

good lookin' on that. forget about the 40 and 80gb drives! this will keep me straight for a long time.

By sparq Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:11 pm
Without the new OS the 1k will only see 2gb of your hard drive after you format it. You can start loading your files on it. When the new OS is installed, the 1k will automatically see the rest of your hard drive without the need reformat

By bigman Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:26 pm
To clarify, on your build 1.999something the entire 100gb showed up?

By sparq Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:29 pm
bigman wrote:To clarify, on your build 1.999something the entire 100gb showed up?
yes
By Endevour Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:07 am
is there a particular type of drive i have 2 buy?

By sparq Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:06 am
obviously it has to be a laptop drive. so far, akai officially tested these drives:

Fujitsu
Model: MHN2200AT

Seagate
Model: ST92011A

Toshiba
Model: MK4026GAX (40GB

i have the Toshiba MK1032GAX

however, you can test any drive but make sure of the place you get it from has a good return policy.... just in case.

when you do get one, post up the results here, to let everyone know if the drive you bought did or didn't work.

By OreO Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:32 am
So lets say i get the one you have sparq...the Toshiba MK1032GAX 100GB 5400RPM 16MB cache ....i need to get a kit right to make it fit? Where can i get that? :?:

By sparq Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:40 am
OreO wrote:So lets say i get the one you have sparq...the Toshiba MK1032GAX 100GB 5400RPM 16MB cache ....i need to get a kit right to make it fit? Where can i get that? :?:
you need to get the kit regardless of which hard drive you get. click on the "HD adapter kit" link in my signature to obtain information on where/how to purchase the HDM10 kit. also, if you want to see what it looks like, click on the second link in my signature and scroll down you will see pics of it.

By AMG Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:41 pm
A 7200 RPM disk drive would be nice! Just hope the o.s. will support this speed.
By invisibleakai Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:18 pm
I don't think you'll notice any performance difference between a 7200, 5400, or 4800 rpm drive because the MPC will only be using the drive for storage of samples and data, not reading from the drive directly during sample playback. Now, if Akai adds multitrack recording and playback in a future OS update, OS 2.5 maybe??? :D ( jk on that )

So, at this point, I wouldn't pay more for a "fast" spinning drive. Likewise, cache sizes shouldn't make a difference.

Just note that some notebook drives are 12mm height and those will not fit. Most notebook drives are 9mm height, so no worries with those.

And, anyone still curious about why you might want to buy an external drive enclosure, keep this in mind. The MPC1K transfers via USB 1.1, which is a _slow_ transfer rate. Transferring GBs of data will take forever.

Putting the drive in an external enclosure that supports firewire or USB 2.0 will allow you to transfer large amounts of data, GBs, much more quickly.

However, this is only true if your computer has firewire or USB 2.0 ports on it!! If you're using an older computer that only has USB 1.1, the external USB 2.0 enclosure will only transfer at the slower 1.1 speed.

If it's a desktop, you can usually add a firewire or USB 2.0 card to it. All Apple computers have had firewire standard for well over 5 years now, so no need to add anything if you get a firewire enclosure. Other folks will need to check their manufacturer's specs.

damn, that ended up being a lot longer post than I thought!!
By sparq Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:50 am
invisibleakai wrote:I don't think you'll notice any performance difference between a 7200, 5400, or 4800 rpm drive because the MPC will only be using the drive for storage of samples and data, not reading from the drive directly during sample playback. Now, if Akai adds multitrack recording and playback in a future OS update, OS 2.5 maybe??? :D ( jk on that )
unless you are around computers for a living or an advid gamer, you would notice the difference in the speed of the drive. also you will notice it if you do use the enclosure and transfering data to your computer

So, at this point, I wouldn't pay more for a "fast" spinning drive. Likewise, cache sizes shouldn't make a difference.

i still would

Just note that some notebook drives are 12mm height and those will not fit. Most notebook drives are 9mm height, so no worries with those.

you're right. the HDM10 is for a slimline drive that's why i suggested the toshiba drives that i mentioned.

And, anyone still curious about why you might want to buy an external drive enclosure, keep this in mind. The MPC1K transfers via USB 1.1, which is a _slow_ transfer rate. Transferring GBs of data will take forever.

Putting the drive in an external enclosure that supports firewire or USB 2.0 will allow you to transfer large amounts of data, GBs, much more quickly.

However, this is only true if your computer has firewire or USB 2.0 ports on it!! If you're using an older computer that only has USB 1.1, the external USB 2.0 enclosure will only transfer at the slower 1.1 speed.

this is why i mentioned to get the enclosure and (see my answer above)

If it's a desktop, you can usually add a firewire or USB 2.0 card to it. All Apple computers have had firewire standard for well over 5 years now, so no need to add anything if you get a firewire enclosure. Other folks will need to check their manufacturer's specs.

you're right

damn, that ended up being a lot longer post than I thought!!
hehe, it can get like that when you get on a roll

By invisibleakai Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:16 am
Originally posted by sparq:
unless you are around computers for a living or an advid gamer, you would notice the difference in the speed of the drive. also you will notice it if you do use the enclosure and transfering data to your computer

I definitely agree that a faster drive in a notebook will increase it's performance, especially for video, audio, graphics apps, etc (and games!). However, I doubt that the read/write speeds within the MPC itself will be noticeably different between the various drive speeds.

Once people start installing different drives, we can test the sample load times from 4200, 5400, and 7200 rpm drives. I'd bet they're nearly identical, from within the MPC.

But, yeah, if you can swing it, go for a faster 7200 rpm drive. If you ever decide to use it for anything else, you're set. The Hitachi 0A25015 100GB or the Seagate Momentus 7200.1 100GB are some of the fastest notebook drives currently available.

For most people, I think the 5400 rpm drives should be fine. For backups to your computer through an external enclosure, it's more important that people make sure they have USB 2.0 or FireWire ports. You'd be surprised how many people still only have USB 1.1 on their PCs!

And if you really have a need for transfer speed, get a FireWire 800 enclosure which can be 2 to 3 times faster than USB 2.0!

Cheers!
By Endevour Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:12 pm
so in other words.... a 2.5 inch drive
By sparq Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:52 pm
Endevour wrote:so in other words.... a 2.5 inch drive
it has to be a 2.5" drive