Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum

By oceanstatekillah Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:29 am
a toy to the 4000 , i will go to guitar center to peep it when it comes out/ just in time for christmas , dam i can see all the posts coming. preset sounds??? WTF if that is true i am feeling that , if the usb mac save works and u can save all your data to mac osx that would be jumpoff activity. but no keygroups like the 4000 ? , i wonder how many programs it will have and it has 4 individual outs and 1 stereo and 1 spdif/rca . it seems jumpoffish
i guess akai is gonna capitilize on the mpc again

By Swissmaster Cheese Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:05 am
this would make a nice lil' companion piece to my 2kxl....looks like fun!
just put on a usb zip, some extra ram action and i'm good to go yow mean, mane?

By thegreatmuffin Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:48 pm
For those who are interested, this is all the text I got of the akai site about the mpc1000 before akai removed the link:

[size=0.5]MPC1000 MUSIC PRODUCTION CENTRE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE LEGACY
In 1988, Akai professional introduced the now legendary MPC60 to the world. The MPC60 didn’t just change the way we worked - it actually created new styles of music never before imagined, styles of music that have evolved over the years but are as relevant today as they were 15 years ago when the MPC concept was born.

During this period, the MPC has become a household name the world over amongst discerning musicians, producers and DJs working in a wide range of musical genres and even though the MPC series has developed over the years to incorporate the latest technologies, it has always retained it’s uniqueness and has never been successfully copied.

However, in building bigger and better machines, we realised that (despite what some might say!) size isn’t everything when customers started asking for a compact, portable 'laptop' size MPC!

Enter the MPC1000.

SIZE MATTERS
Small and perfectly formed (and not much bigger than an A4 sheet of paper), this diminuitive MPC is not some compromised little runt of the litter as you might expec. On the contrary - the MPC1000 inherits many of the major features of its older, bigger siblings but in a compact form factor that makes it ideal for carrying around… to your friends, to a gig, to a session, on a train… wherever. And it’s a creditable alternative to computer based systems.

As part of its lineage, the MPC1000 features the sixteen characteristic velocity and pressure sensitive pads that have been an established (and essential) component of the MPC series since its inception and which contribute enormously to to the ‘feel’ of the instrument – arguably, they are the best pads on any drum machine past or present!

It also features the original MP60’s intuitive transport and locate controls, the unique NOTE REPEAT function plus new additions such as the two Q-Link sliders that allow real-time control of functions such as filter cutoff, pitch, level and more.

Add to these a well established, friendly and intuitive user interface, two separate multi-effects processors (and a master output effects processor!), resonant multi-mode filters, two MIDI ins and 32 MIDI channels via the two MIDI outputs, multiple audio outputs as standard, footswitch inputs for ‘hands-free’ control and you have most of what you’d expect to find in a rugged, dependable ‘switch on and work’ and ‘out the carton’ solution to computer sequencer headaches.

But there are new things too:

The use of compact flash as a storage medium, for example, makes for more than enough room to save your sounds and grooves in an extremely compact, portable and readily available format and present testing has verified the use of up to 2 Gigabyte cards.

Furthermore, the MPC1000 supports the "MASS STORAGE CLASS" USB standard. What this means is that when connected to a Mac or PC via the MPC1000's USB port, the Mac/PC sees the MPC1000 as a Compact Flash card reader without the need for any cumbersome driver installation on your computer (*). This simple implementation allows you to simply drag and drop data between your desktop and the MPC1000's CF card to build up sound library on your CF card or vice versa to back up data on your CF card.

With regard to internal memory, you get 16Mb of on-board RAM as standard (with 5Mb dedicated to preset sounds) but this can easily be expanded up to 128 MB using standard laptop size memory.

THE THREE ‘Fs’ - FEATURES, FUNCTIONS, FACILITIES
Behind the stunning ‘retro’ cosmetic styling that pays homage to a halcyon era of dedicated drum machines, the new MPC1000 is a thoroughly modern sampling drum machine and multi-track MIDI sequencer that is more than equipped with features, functions and facilities to let you explore new musical ideas without restriction.

MAKE YOUR BANK MANAGER SMILE!
Impressive specs, good looks, loads of features and everything else aside, the best news of all is that this power for musical expression now costs less than ever before.

So, if you have ever dreamed of buying into the MPC legend to realise your musical ambitions, now’s your chance!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KEY FEATURES
Established friendly and intuitive user interface of MPC series.
Easy-to-use MIDI sequencer/drum sampler offering a great alternative to complex computer based products.
Great-feeling, velocity and pressure sensitive pads for expressive programming.
A 16 levels function giving you one sound on all pads with varied level, tuning, attack, decay or filter per pad.
Two separate effects processors and one main out effect processor; all which can be used simultaneously.
4-pole filters (two 2-pole filters) filtering for each of the 32 voices.
Two Q-Link sliders for realtime performance control.
2 x MIDI In and 2 x MIDI Out.
32 MIDI channels.
16Mb RAM standard, expandable to 128Mb .
Internal preset sounds in flash.
Save/load your sound and sequence data to/from Compact Flash.
Portable laptop size – ideal for taking your act on the road.

MPC1000 SPECIFICATIONS
GENERAL
Display
Memory card slot
Dimension (W x H x D)
Weight
Power requirement

SOUND GENERATOR
Sampling rate
Sampling capacity
Recording time
Memory expansion slot
Data format
Polyphony
Dynamic filtering
Filter type
Preset sound memory
Number of programs

EFFECTS
Effect type

SEQUENCER
Maximum events
Resolution
Sequences
Tracks per sequence
MIDI output channels
Song mode
Drum pads
Drum pad banks
Sync mode

INPUTS / OUTPUTS
Record input (L and R)

Digital input
Stereo output (L and R)

4 individual outputs

Phones output
Digital output
MIDI inputs
MIDI outputs
USB
Footswitches

STANDARD ACCESSORIES

OPTIONS
EXM128

COMPATIBILITY
MPC2000XL
MPC4000
MPC3000
Z4/8
S5/6000
S1000/3000

240 x 64 dot graphic LCD with back light
Compact Flash type 2 (32Mb-2Gb)
330 x 75.5 x 228.2 (Max 234.6)
3.45kg
19W

44.1kHz
16Mb standard, (11.5 Mb sound memory) exp. to 128Mb
136 sec (16Mb mono) 24m28sec (128Mb mono)
144-pin for optional EXM128
16-bit linear
2 x 2-pole filter per voice
Low pass, band pass, high pass
5Mb

2 stereo effects and master effect
Chorus, Flanger, Bit Grunger, 4 band EQ, Compressor, Phaser, Tremolo, Auto Pan, Reverb
Master effect: 4 band EQ, Compressor

100,000 notes
96 parts per 1/4-note (96ppqn)
32 (16 channels x 2 output ports)
20 songs, 250 steps per song
16 (velocity and pressure sensitive)
MIDI clock

1/4-inch stereo phone x 2, balanced -40dBu, input impedance 11k ohms;
Max. Input level +10dBu
RCA-pin x 1 S/PDIF
1/4-inch phone x 2 unbalanced +11dBu, output impedance 1k Ohms,
Max. output level +17dBu
1/4-inch phone x 4 unbalanced +11dBu, output impedance 1k Ohms,
Max. output level +17dBu
1/4-inch stereo phone x 1, 200mW / 32 ohms
RCA-pin x 1 S/PDIF
5-pin DIN x 2
5-pin DIN x 2
Slave connector x 1 (supports "USB MASS STORAGE CLASS")
1/4-inch phone x 2

32MB Compact Flash card, Power cable, Operator's manual

128MB expansion memory card

SEQ, ALL, PGM (*), WAV
SEQ, ALL, WAV (No PGM compatibility)
No compatibility
.WAV sample data only
.WAV sample data only
No compatibility

(*) When PGM file is loaded, only pad assign is loaded. Other edit parameters are ignored.[/size]

By egokilla Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:04 pm

ugly

By Dr.Foo Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:29 pm
it is mad ugly, but.....
The competition for this is:

Roland Mc 505
Korg Electro-whatever-u-call-it samplers
Yamaha SU 700

and it does BURY all of them, so what if it has preset sounds? cheesy, sure but no big deal, just dont use em. I like the 2 sliders. cool, but can they be assigned to control midi parameters and stuff live like on the 2KXL?

basically the yamaha, is the best of the rest and I bet it wont come close to the 1000. THe 1000 is prolly their replacement for the S20/Remix-16 line, the entry level akai sampler. It packs the "entry level' stuff into a MPC esque setup, Im gonna go cop one at guitar center and use it just to try it out and return it. I dunno about smart meida though, I never liked them too flimsy for my tastes....

By mpc3000 Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:23 pm
"I dunno about smart meida though, I never liked them too flimsy for my tastes"

It's Compactflash not smartmedia. Doesn't matter whether SM or CF, both are still 1,000 times better than Zip or floppy. No moving parts, no broken disks. Try dropping your Zip from a 2nd floor balcony.

I've been using these for years and was the first ever to put a card reader in a samper.
By TREV Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:51 pm
How many of these options come with the MPC1000....

RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX

I mean how long has the 4000 been out and we still don't have advertised features...

Better find how many years we have to wait to see if it even works..

still looks pretty nice anyway..Peace
By TREV Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:07 pm
How many of the features are really in the mpc... STRAIGHT OUT THE BOX

Looks like another advertising scam from the homies at Akai... lol

look out
By TREV Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:08 pm
sorry for the double post

By Dr.Foo Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:34 pm
mpc3000 wrote:"I dunno about smart meida though, I never liked them too flimsy for my tastes"

It's Compactflash not smartmedia. Doesn't matter whether SM or CF, both are still 1,000 times better than Zip or floppy. No moving parts, no broken disks. Try dropping your Zip from a 2nd floor balcony.

I've been using these for years and was the first ever to put a card reader in a samper.

true, but I am always wary of tiny stuff (like cell phones, the smaller it is the easier it is to break), simply cuz small dont mean better. Its more prone to being lost, stepped on etc. and since when did the physical size of a zip disk become such a big deal?

true no moving parts is cool but the tiny size is what I am trippin off of, I guess im justan old man. I feel like my parents when cd's came out.

By keepintouch2004 Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:29 am
I THINK ITS GONNA DO POOR AS FAR AS SALES, WHO THE HELL IS GIVING AKAI ALL THESE IDEAS??

THEY CANT EVEN FIX OR FINISH THE 4000, SO THEY'RE GONNA THROW ANOTHER UNFINISHED PRODUCT AT US.

AKAI IS FINISHED, AKAI NEEDS TO GET BACK WITH ROGER LINN

By thegreatmuffin Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:04 pm
Personally, I think this thing is going to sell. Ok, it doesn't "look" impressive. It's tiny and it has "My First Sony" like colors. But think of it:
it's a small box you can take with you wherever you want to go. I don't see myself carrying an mpc3000 with me to the other side of the world. And btw, the price is going to help Akai to sell some numbers 8)

By mpc3000 Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:32 pm
"and since when did the physical size of a zip disk "

Who said anything about the size being an issue? The problem is that Iomega makes the worst consumer media storage in the world. Sysquest drives never had the click of death, were more reliable, and have faster transfer rates. Iomega had the killer marketing team, but coupled with a horrible product....

"AKAI NEEDS TO GET BACK WITH ROGER LINN "

MPC3000 was never finished either.

By oceanstatekillah Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:05 am
YEAH THIS MPC WILL BE VERY EASY TO STEAL FROM SOMEONE ITS SMALL LIGHT.... HEADS CAN JACK YO SHIZZIT REAL EASY

By Prah_860_ Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:00 am
oceanstatekillah wrote:YEAH THIS MPC WILL BE VERY EASY TO STEAL FROM SOMEONE ITS SMALL LIGHT.... HEADS CAN JACK YO SHIZZIT REAL EASY

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

ha ha ha ha ha

i was gonna buy one....just playing

OSK is that your plans.....or you were looking out for others?