Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By lucusz Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:16 pm
I just got the replacement pads. My MPC1000 does not have the stock pads where they are single pads my mpc has the sheet of pads much like the replacement pas where they are all linked. Do i still need to do all the electrical work? How do i replace the linked pad sheet with my new replacement pads?
Have mercy for i know how ignorant i am.
By Tapuno Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:50 pm
Take cover off
Replace pads
Put cover on.

Just to let u know tho, if you have dead pads on a sheet sensor it's the sheet sensor that's needin attention, not the pads
By goldenmean Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:36 pm
i was aware of the original mpc1000 pad problem but i never actually had one until very recently. i bought an original 1000 from guitar center used for like 200 bucks. the whole thing was beat on. i resoldered the entire board with new tacts, had to replace a few busted buttons. and then i realize several of the pads are shot. ahhhh. what a cheap mpc.

so i came here and read through stuff, but didnt really get a solid solution. i refuse to buy a pad upgrade kit for those crappy little pads. not worth it.

after taking the origial pads apart and trying several things, i finally have a fix. the only drawback is this fix leaves you at 100 percent pad velocity. i dont really mind that though, because at least the pads work again. its not really a big deal.

anyways, take the whole thing apart as described somewhere buried in this thread.

unscrew the 4 screws on the pad mount, disconnent the main connection underneath and the nv connection on the lift. (you will need a tiny flathead screwdriver to pry the connectors apart gently. lift the pad mount out where you can work on it.

unscrew each pad from the mount (2 screws each), disconnect each pad, and remove them from the mount.

take apart each pad. very gently pry open the 4 tabs on the pad frame and seperate the frame, rubber, and pad circuit.

throw the pads and metal frames in some dish detergent water and clean them up. (this is a good chance to remove disgusting finger grease, dirt, food, cocaine etc that has accumulated in between the pads.

take the pad circuit board and gently scrub the connection clean with rubbing alcohol. peel off the carbon paper if need be. peel off the 4 dabs of cheap chinese glue that held the carbon paper on. use q tips and get the circuit clean.

prep the rubber pads. with a small piece of medium sandpaper, prep the center of each rubber pad by scuffing it up a little bit. this isnt prob necessary, but it helps.

get a tube of silicone. i used this kind and it seemed to bond very well to the rubber pads. http://i.walmartimages.com/i/mp/00/07/70/27/05/0007702705060_P321146_500X500.jpg

cut a sheet of reynolds wrap aluminum foil into 16 tiny squares that will be placed in the center of each of the rubber pads. you want to use a thinner sheet of aluminum foil, not thick stuff.

cut some cardboard squares out smaller than the rubber pads. squirt some silicone onto a pice of paper and apply a careful dot to the center of rubber pad (i did three at a time so i didnt get messy)

use the cardboard to evenly wipe the silicone across the back of the rubber pad. you dont want to use too much but you do want to create a bed of silicone.

place the aluminum foil square in the center of the pad. press it in and gently shift it around before centering so that is fully contaced with silicone. its ok if some of this silicone gets on it on the sides, but you want to try to keep the center of the foil clean. try not to get silicone on the tops of the pads while you work either.

do this for all 16 pads and let them sit for 24 hours to fully dry.

the ge silicone i used seemed to really bond like a beast to the original mpc rubber pads, and its flexible so it seems like the best solution rather than try to use tape or anything.

reassemble all the pads. place the rubber pad into the metal frame, then place the circuit onto that. close each of the 4 frame tabs by hand, making sure there enough pressure to make a tight clasp on the pad. then GENTLY give the 4 tabs each a squeeze with some pliers to do a final tightening.

place the pads back on the mount and one by remount the pads with their 2 screws. sometimes you have to gently flatten the pads tabs on the side to get everything to fit together. this is really the longest step but your almost done.

reattach the main pad cable and nv cable, reattach the mount with its 4 screws.

turn on the mpc and test all the pads.

put the mpc shell back on, screw everything together. test the pads one last time.

thats it. works really good. f*ck buying a pad replacement kit.
By mainchia Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:59 am
Hi I bought an mpc1000 with original pad and, after some known problems, i installed the pad upgrade from mpcstuff. It surely fixed lot of things but i was getting double triggers with the full level on. Having read enthusiastic comment about the fat pads, i decided to buy 'em. But am still getting the double triggers...Is there a definitive solution for this problem? I tried an mpc 2500 and had no such problem...
By LokoMotiv Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:02 am
Hey!

Im new on this forum, but hope you guys understand my point. I bought old mpc 1000 way back it's more than 7 years old. First it worked great, but later I have to replace some buttons. Now Im facing a new problem, all of the pads gets totally unusable, when I turn power on. Sometimes they work if I feel lucky. Real problem now is that I got new sensors, installed them and new pads in local store., but mpc is still not working.

Does anyone can help me out?

I'm using jjos 4,99

Thank you!
By distortedtekno Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:03 am
LokoMotiv wrote:Hey!

Im new on this forum, but hope you guys understand my point. I bought old mpc 1000 way back it's more than 7 years old. First it worked great, but later I have to replace some buttons. Now Im facing a new problem, all of the pads gets totally unusable, when I turn power on. Sometimes they work if I feel lucky. Real problem now is that I got new sensors, installed them and new pads in local store., but mpc is still not working.

Does anyone can help me out?

I'm using jjos 4,99

Thank you!

Check the ribbon cable from the pad assembly to the main board. Reseat the connection. As for the buttons, you can order them from mpc-stuff.
https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc.html
By DRMS Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 pm
Hi. I didn't want to open a new topic so i will ask here.
I bought a new sensors for 4000. However i made a mistake and sticked it somewhat wrong on the plate (a bit off the holes).
Could i remove it and stick it again without damaging the sensors ?
By LooseJoint Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:15 am
I recently purchased a used MPC with what looks like a VST pad upgrade (VST sticker on bottom of unit). However, I can't get any feedback from Pad 2 and the corresponding sensor square underneath has a nasty scratch on it.

Is this something that would be repairable using methods mentioned earlier in this thread like: wire glue, conductivity coating, graphite/carbon sheet, or graphite spray (all recommended for old style pads I believe)?

Or could I buy the replacement pad sensor sheet from mpcstuff: https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-1000-mpk-p ... d-version/ and just get everything working like new? The other pads also don't feel as responsive as they could be to me.

By nrrrd Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:20 am
A bit of a thread resurrection from a new member!

I was recently given a MPC 1000 from a friend that was pretty beat up. None of the pads worked, some of the buttons were broken, the tact switches need replacing and it was filthy as it had sat gathering dust for 8 years! It's a MK1 blue version and hasn't had the pad upgrade. I didn't really want to spend any money on it!

Thanks to this thread I've managed to fix the pads, but in a simple and low-tech manner.
I followed the instructions to open the MPC and then remove each of the 16 pads.
I prised open the cages keeping the pads together.
I then removed the carbon-impregnated rubber from the contact (most had fallen off), scraped the remaining glue from the corners of the contact and gave everything a good clean with electrical contact cleaner.
I then bought a sheet of velostat from eBay UK for about £5.
I cut a square of velostat to be a bit larger than the contacts. Having it a bit larger gives you some leeway in positioning the velostat over the contact.
I then taped the velostat to the contact using electrical insulation tape. As I said, very low tech! :) I taped from the back of the board holding the contact over the velostat at the front and then onto the back again, using as much tape as possible.
The trick is not to introduce any grease from your fingers onto the contact or velostat. If you do touch either then give a quick squirt of contact cleaner and a wipe.
Put it all back together and test in the pad sensitivity setting screen. I use JJOS and found tweaking the pad-on sensitivity to be useful. Typical settings I have : pad sensitivity 15, pad on 10, velocity curve C.
And there you go, fixed pads for a fiver. They even have velocity sensitivity.
Now I just need to resolder some of the tact switches. I fixed the buttons with Sugru!
By bitcrusher Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:49 pm
Hi,
Looking for some technical knowledge on a (very strange) pad sensitivity situation.
Was sequencing emu sampler using MPC and at some point the first 8 pads just lost all sensitivity.
Just got a pad a upgrade and tested all the velocity levels.
For some reason I think this is not a hardware fault but i would really appreciate some troubleshooting advice

Think i am in trouble here...
By ziondave Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:02 pm
Ok, but if a weird variation on this issue. Full disclosure, I’m new to the mpc world and bought my first MPC1000 last weekend. I fines there were sensitivity issues with the pads but thought how hard could it be to try and fix a few and failing that buy a pad upgrade kit.

They are the original single sensor mpc1000 pads and first off a few would barely work. Opened them up and found the conductive sheet had come loose so fixed these up as much as possible.

What I am finding now though is that if pad x has low sensitivity and I swap it with pad y that has good sensitivity, then the issue remains. Pad x will now have good sensitivity even in the new slot where pad y used to be. How can this be i wonder? I’ve done a factory reset and all pads have the same velocity settings.

Any thoughts? Am I going crazy? Should I give up and buy the pad upgrade or is this an issue that even this won’t fix? :Sigh:
By ziondave Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:21 pm
Update:

Turns out I’m an idiot and I must have swapped out two other pads originally. :WTF: As a sanity test I added stickers to the dead pads, swapped them with good ones and the dead remained dead in their new slots.

Going attempt to fix these with some velostat I bought for €7 on amazon. If I’m getting good use out of the mpc then I’ll go for the upgrade.
By ziondave Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:39 pm
Update: the velostat I used didn’t work when taped onto the sensor. I think there’s too little resistance so the pad is just constantly triggered. Seems the only option is to glue the velostat to the underside of the rubber pad but I’m getting 100% velocity. Can try it for a while but better off shelling out for the upgrade in the long run :(