Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum

By Mr modnaR Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:40 pm
it's the graphite that's breaking up in your pad that's causing it not to work properly.

By Antonym Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:12 pm
16 $ ? thats not too much - what do you mean with "not exact the same"? are the pads not original mpc1k pads ? is it difficult to replace them ?

i said that they are exactly the same...i didn't say "not"...which means they will break down, just like the originals will.

16 bucks x 16 = too much, plus shipping...it's not difficult to replace em, but you need a soldering gun.

my method requires no soldering, no new pads, no money. my method will last longer, too.

and from what you describe about your bad pad, it sounds like a graphite problem. i've never heard/seen the mpc pads have any other problem than graphite glue issues. otherwise, they're great.

By Paris Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:16 pm
ok i see.

i just worried about that "tooltime"-like repair. i don't want to kill my mpc.
but i think you know about what you say.
I hope i'll never need to try to use your method but saved this post as a pdf file.

By Antonym Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:42 pm
i don't want to kill my mpc.
but i think you know about what you say.

haha yeah...that it's really really safe? ....it is, if you have nimble fingers. if you're super clumsy, i wouldn't suggest it.

By distortedtekno Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:04 am
nym, thanks for the update. keep us posted if anything changes. also, have you really given these pads a good pounding since you fixed them? i don't abuse my pads at all, but i'm just curious to know how well it would hold up under extreme conditions.

By Antonym Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:47 pm
yeah i've been pretty rough with them - more rough than ever before. the composition is tougher now not because i used any different materials, but rather because there's just more surface area of the graphite which is covered in glue.

however, if i can ever find graphite which is conductive and adhesive on one side, i'll swap out the original graphite for the new just because the adhesive would last longer even than my current arrangement (ie years and years).

By Antonym Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:39 pm
rockin. i checked all those out and it seems that some of the carbon sheets would work - however, we'd have to supply our own double sided adhesive sticker. i didn't see any that were adhesive on only 1 side, unfortunately. it's no big deal, just a little more $$ to go to some office store and buy double sided adhesive strips with which we'd secure our carbon to our rubber pads.

meanwhile, if you have bad pads, don't let any of this keep you from using the carbon akai provided you with and just using some soft glue, cuz that works really well as well. however, someday i plan to upgrade and experiment with different types of carbon to see if it works even better (who knows?). the best thing about this mod is how cheap/reversible it is. it's really not dangerous at all. and worst comes to worst (my peoples come first) we can jsut order a 16 dollar replacement from vst.

peace, thanks, your lordship.

By bassics Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:02 am
eh Nym, I been off here for a bit but yeah just read up on the developments...cool I might have a shot at sticking to teh underside of eth pad soon if the need arises at the moment I been pounding mine ever since fixing and its all good, be good to see other ppl's results on this and how they went..

By jura13 Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:35 am
Succesfull upgrade on 4 my pads (have no time to do on all). Thanks Nym. Iam with you now.

Jura

By Antonym Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:07 pm
you used the graphite to the underside of the rubber method? if so, could you detail what glue you used and how you like it so far?

By Antonym Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:09 pm
bassics wrote:eh Nym, I been off here for a bit but yeah just read up on the developments...cool I might have a shot at sticking to teh underside of eth pad soon if the need arises at the moment I been pounding mine ever since fixing and its all good, be good to see other ppl's results on this and how they went..

yeah your method def still works, but if/when it goes bad again give it a try. when you compare gluing the graphite to the underside of the rubber to gluing it to the sensor using four daubs, you'll realize how much more painstaking the latter is...

By jura13 Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:50 am
Antonym wrote:you used the graphite to the underside of the rubber method? if so, could you detail what glue you used and how you like it so far?

Yep, now I made it on 8 pads ( 1-8 ). I use two-sided addhessive tape. But I used 3 layers of it, after few experiments with 1 to 5 layers. I cannot say thats definatelly better, because Iam used to play on original Akai's design pad, and I can only say thats different feel. But its only abou different experince. Its like different instrument. But... If I use more contrencation on strenght I use, I can perform more accurate velocity controling. Now ist very hard to say, first I must learn to play on them to say if its deffinatelly better. I think thats good idea but time will show...

Jura

edit: I record some dynamic expressions with new design. I cannot deffinatelly say thats better than old one. But... you'll hear:

http://the-auditorium.net/viewtopic.php?p=31768#31768

By jura13 Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:37 pm
Another tought:

If pad (not pressed stright downward) stress the glue. What about reduce friction between rubber pad and graphite ?

I mean put something smooth (plastic tape for example) over graphite. And some silicon oil onto that.

What do you think ?

By Mr modnaR Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:35 pm
if the graphite is attached to the rubber pad, then there should be no need to lubricate them, surely?

Frank Drebin wrote:No there isn't, and stop calling me Shirley!