Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By The Grublet Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:45 am
the jog wheels are easy, and available
By cem9 Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:59 pm
I think the dead pads can be repaired with conductive carbon grease or with graphite spray which is for for lubricating switches and improving electrical connections. The primary problem is the wear of the graphite sheet in the keypad. That's why it should be hit stronger while it is totally dead.
I found this spray but there are many others around:
http://www.duecielectronic.it/index.php?lang=eng&menu_1=prodotti&menu_2=110+-+N-77&k=10
By Idiom Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:35 pm
Hey everybody, Im new to the MPC forums. I've been reading posts on here for a while now before I joined.

I have an MPC1000bk...and my pads are doing weird stuff. One day out of the blue pads 9-16
are completely garbled...they don't trigger samples AND they will trigger samples from other
pads all at once (poo!). If you push pad A12 for example, it triggers pad A16, then push it again
and it triggers pad A14, then A15..in no particular order, it's as if the pads don't know which pad
it really is. but this is only happening with 9-16. AND they are double tapping,even tripple tapping.

Do I need to replace my pad sensors, my pads, switch the OS?

I WILL NOT Mod my MPC to "fix" it. I don't believe the problem should be fixed by modding anything...it may result in breaking my MPC.

Also, on a seperate note, the effects have never worked...switched OS back and forth and still don't work. Not a huge problem..but Im STARTING to think that the MPC1k is a total waste of money. Especially since most of the MPC1000 users online suggest so much modification.
By foodeater Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:18 am
So I guess I have a new style mpc with bad pads. Every pad responds equally poorly. Even if I set sensitivity at max it takes a lot to trigger them. It seems odd that they would all go bad at once though. Will buying a new sensor on ebay definitely fix it?
By deeznutz6969 Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:15 pm
I bought Nym's pad fix a couple years ago but it didn't work out too well for me. When i put it back together it still didn't work that good. I'm not very handy when it comes to fixing stuff. The pads he sent me are still like new and I'm looking to sell for cheap. Hit me up if interested in buying the custom made pads that Nym himself made years ago. long shot i know but i paid like 150$ for these cocksuckers and they are useless to me. I ended up buying the pad fix from akai and it works. akai however can still suck a dick up for charging people money for the fix when it was them who **** up in the first place smh
By lynn1221 Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:29 am
if you completely remove the conductive material already present and do this, you'll get full velocity all the time (which, considering i ALWAYS have the pandora braceletfull level button on, is fine with me). i've also found that you can trigger your samples a lot quicker and with a lot less force. the pads become more pushbutton-like.
By deeznutz6969 Tue May 03, 2011 2:17 pm
deeznutz6969 wrote:I bought Nym's pad fix a couple years ago but it didn't work out too well for me. When i put it back together it still didn't work that good. I'm not very handy when it comes to fixing stuff. The pads he sent me are still like new and I'm looking to sell for cheap. Hit me up if interested in buying the custom made pads that Nym himself made years ago. long shot i know but i paid like 150$ for these cocksuckers and they are useless to me. I ended up buying the pad fix from akai and it works. akai however can still suck a dick up for charging people money for the fix when it was them who **** up in the first place smh

^^^ anyone????
By b.read Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:22 pm
thedov wrote:um, where is the pics and all that?

um, did you read the thread and all that?
By 99% Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:33 pm
the most sound absolute cheapest mpc dead pad fix and its only $0 - $20
the absolute cheapest mpc dead pad fix.

So if you have a Akai MPC and youve noticed some of the pads are losing velocity and some just dont work anymore, i have a thoroughly researched solution for you.

The NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF PAD FAILURE is due to the cheap carbon infused paper that lays over the sensor located under the rubber exterior pad. This paper is used as a semi-conductor which establishes an electrical connection in between the two wires that are soldered to the sensor at a variable rate dependant upon the pressure you apply. After time the carbon literally gets smashed out of the paper hence the dead pad. Like many others i refused to buy an entire pad upgrade kit just cause a design flaw on Akai's part. After endless research regarding carbon based products and semi-conductors i found that all of these products that could be useful are hard to obtain in small logical quantities.

After a year of consistant research and experimentation I found the answer gladly slapped right into my face. The answer was a Nintendo Power Pad i have had in storage since the mid 90s.

I cut this sucker open and found a holy grail of Carbon infused acrylic rubber. It was a sight to behold. This Carbon infused rubber is more conductive than the original Carbon infused paper Akai had factory installed. So I decided to glue the rubber to the bottom of the pad with thin layer of silicone (due to a higher reaction youll find double triggering an issue if you decide to glue the rubber direct to the sensor). MAKE SURE THE SHINY SIDE OF THE RUBBER IS FACE UP AND THE INTEGRITY OF THE CONDUCTION IS NOT COMPRIMISED (i.e. dont get glue on shiny side). I turned down the velocity, set it to curve B and found it to be suitable. Make sure the sensors are clean and such before you put your shit back together. Also note that there is carbon infused paper in the power pad as well but just use the rubber as i theorize since the rubber was designed to be stomped on, it should last for quite some time. This fix will cost you around 20 bux (if you have to order a power pad off ebay or somewhere) and some time including any research you may require regarding taking apart an mpc. just youtube those videos are all over and its really easy. I also assume this can be used to fix a number of "dead" sensors.

Also take not that i replaced all the dead carbon paper with carbon rubber using only one pad from the Nintendo Power Pad.

BTW HS that was what all my Carbon research was about.

Thanks to Antonym and all the other researchers that provided so much needed information!
By JVC Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:51 pm
99% wrote:the most sound absolute cheapest mpc dead pad fix and its only $0 - $20
the absolute cheapest mpc dead pad fix.

Epic post! (even I don't own MPC-1000!)
By Ocular Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:08 pm
99% wrote:Knowledge

Nice work! And welcome to the forums. Please keep us updated in a few months as it seems most DIY fixes have a life of 3-6 months. If this fix holds it own then it could be a serious alternative for those with bad pads.
By 99% Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:24 pm
"So I decided to glue the rubber to the bottom of the pad with thin layer of silicone " scratch that as the silicone already is showing signs of being too weak an adhesive so i just switched to super glue which be warned you only need the tiniest amount as you dont want any mess but if you do mess up acetone and a cotton swab will remove super glue