Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum

By mpc3000 Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:48 pm
"I think Akai are phasing out the proprietary formats deliberately"

This would not be true since the MPC1000 still uses a proprietary PGM, APS, ALL formats.

"The only reason I can think of for these features being left out "

The real reason is that you can only fit so much OS in a few hundred Kb. Akai removed some features to make room for others (confirmed with Akai).

By Insectpossewillbecrushed Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:21 pm
This would not be true since the MPC1000 still uses a proprietary PGM, APS, ALL formats.
I should have been clearer...I was thinking more in terms of SND files. It makes sense for Akai to dispense with SND and conform to what the rest of the world is using (particularly since audio files are now more likely to be worked on with a PC as well). It wouldn't make sense for them to dispense with formats that are specific to the MPC firmware / that make it easier to manage projects.

Akai removed some features to make room for others (confirmed with Akai).
It still seems like a few things that could have been carried over from the 2000xl have been left out (its not like an extra meg of flash ROM would have made the 1000 prohibitively expensive). Don't get me wrong, I'm still itching to get my hands on one, and the pros and cons of what's missing and what's new more then balance out...but I can't help but feel that the feature set has been determined by Akai's marketing department as much as by any technical limitations.

By Swissmaster Cheese Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:16 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Insectpossewillbecrushed wrote:There's a multisampling tutorial on this site I just found called MPC-Tutor.com that explains the process in some detail. It's a pretty good site...worth checking out.

Yeah, that site MPC-Tutor.com is really good - you should check out their forums, much better than this one.... :lol:

:lol: ....classic......

By bboy Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:36 pm
Does anyone know Akai's justification for leaving out simple features like timestretch/reverse? Yea, it can be done a comp but still thats a pain. I was very disappointed.

By Lampdog Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:16 pm
bboy wrote:Does anyone know Akai's justification for leaving out simple features like timestretch/reverse? Yea, it can be done a comp but still thats a pain. I was very disappointed.

My best guess would be maybe price, pressed for shipping date, they figured you could just use the PC instead. It could possibly be one of those I don't know.

By pt3r Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:46 am
Lampdog is right about the pc thing. I sent an email to the akai people here in europe because I was wondering why they dropped (IMO) essential editing functions in the mpc-1000 and their reply was that the MPC-1000 is to be considered a 'realtime performer' more than a DAW. Therefore the editing functions are to be done on a pc or mac (that is also othe main reason for the USB sample transfer to allow you to transfere the samples easily back and forward between mpc and PC/MAC).

After this mail I knew for sure I need an mpc2000xl not a 'realtime performer'
:wink:

By mpc3000 Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:20 pm
"its not like an extra meg of flash ROM would have made the 1000 prohibitively expensive)"

There is a lot more to it than adding a few Kb to store more OS. The processor is designed to handle only up to a certain executable size. To get more one would have to switch processors which means re-coding the software engine from scratch (which is the story with the MPC4000). The V53 processor has been a pretty good performer for Akai and they like to use it since they know it.

By elmacaco Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:17 am
So does it have auto chromatic assign?

By Insectpossewillbecrushed Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:03 am
mpc3000 wrote: The V53 processor has been a pretty good performer for Akai and they like to use it since they know it.
I had no idea that they were still using 16-bit chips. I guess this goes some way to explaining memory limitations.

elmacaco wrote:So does it have auto chromatic assign?
Doesn't look like it.
By aaron_bliss Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:16 pm
R DA MASTER wrote:Damn turor, that really really sucks. After reading the manual I'm starting to realize what you said on a previous post - something like this - "the mpc 1000 is a groove box..." i'm glad I have access to a mpc 60. I was gonna actually make the mpc 1000 my standard unit.
Guess if you want quality equipment you gotta pay the price for it.

where is this manual?

By triplegreen Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:29 am
Is the v53 proccessor made by nec?

By mpc3000 Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:14 pm
"Is the v53 proccessor made by nec?"

Yep, and you can even write an OS in Assembler and have the MPC boot from it. It's pretty tough to interface to the rest of the hardware, particularly the DSP chip that performs the real-time sample manipulations (like filter and pitch) since it is basically the only custom chip on the MPC so there is only one company that has docs on it.