Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
ByUPTxl Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:58 am
OK here it is i am going crazy day by day trying to choose which mpc to buy. I have worked with a 2000xl but im just so curious for a 1000 please school me on the mpc. I think maybe i should get the 1000 since im a beginner and its a lot easier but i just need help. PLEASE HELP BECAUSE WHETHER YOU CARE OR NOT YOUR RESPONSE WILL WRAP UP MY DECISION.

mpc1000 or mpc2000xl

By elmacaco Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:19 am

By JUKE 179r Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:16 pm
From the reviews... go with the 2000xl.

By Insectpossewillbecrushed Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:52 am
JUKE 179r wrote:From the reviews... go with the 2000xl.

The Future Music review made the 1000 sound almost exactly like the 2000xl, only with more sample memory and USB connectivity. Were there negative reviews elsewhere?

By Leod Beats Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:30 pm
I think you should go with the 2000XL, because I am selling mine!

By itchyvinyl Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:05 am
If you're a beginner to making music in general, and you're doing it just for a hobby to start with, save loads of money and get the 1000.

If you buy the XL, you will still have to pay about 300 extra if you want effects, plus extra to get a Zip disk drive (very necessary), plus extra to get more memory(very necessary), and another 300 to get the 8 outputs.

The 1000 comes with more stock memory than the XL, it comes with 4+2 stock outputs, and it comes with built-in effects already.
I'd say for a beginner it's ideal. You can "hit the ground running" without having to go upgrade crazy from the second you buy your MPC.

If you learn the 1000 and keep making music for a while and you eventually want to upgrade to another MPC, by that time there will probably be something else out besides the 2000xl.

Just my opinion.
By aaron_bliss Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:24 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:If you're starting out and also have a computer, the MPC1000 makes for a better buy.

It seems you know a bit about this lil guy, would you happen to know where to get the manual on line?

also... any word on whether or not the 1000 has the ability to take a sample and trigger it "full note" option? (I think that's what its called)
like on the 2k, you can select a sample and add it to each pad and play it like a synth (sort of)?

By butcher Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:27 pm
it pretty much comes down to how much u like computers. If your not too fond of computers like me get a 2kxl or a 3000. If you like computers and like manipulating your sounds on one then get the 1000.

thats an ill avatar tutor. im feelin it.

ByLoki Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:44 am
Hi Peeps :)

From what ive found out the MPC100 is exactly what ive been looking for. Ive looked at the MPC4000 and couldnt justify the expense because I use my computer alot for sample editing, mangling and sequencing. I like feel of American hip hop but I havent been able to do it on my computer. The fact you get the sequencer with 2 midi outputs will be a very big help. Playing drums with some nice velocity sensitive pads instead of programming them will save me a lot of time. Another thing which will save me time is being able to sample my computer very quickly no matter what my computer is doing (usefull for getting ideas down fast, freeing up memory and mangling sounds >:) ). I like the speed the samples transfer to and from the computer and sampler. The slow speed of scuzi in comparison is a big bonus to me. The card memory could potentialy be a big plus point if they brought out a version of Akai.sys for Windows Moblle.

If you could run a program like that on a PDA you could compose music anywhere.

This is what I wish Akia would bring out. A midi turntable/sampler. It would look and feel like a turntable but sample like a TiVo for sound. If all the contols sent midi then all the movements be recorded or even be directed to other parts of the sample like pitch so that you could slow do real time time stretching.

What do you think?

Loki

By Insectpossewillbecrushed Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:46 pm
Loki wrote:A midi turntable/sampler.
This thing apparently allows you to send MIDI from a conventional turntable. Don't know too much about it aside from what's on the site though.