Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
BysCrIvO Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:53 pm
Im suprised that akai didnt make the mpc1000 model with a battery for portabilaty considering its small size. It cant be that hard, if you look at the size of a computer laptop. I'd love to use a mpc anywhere i go...
Anyone know if akai has any plans for this?

By MPC_Producer Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:37 pm
They have no plans for a battery operated MPC1000. I think David Whittle from AKAI said that it could not be done. Even if it can be done AKAI isn't going to do it.

By Insectpossewillbecrushed Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:25 pm
According to the manual, the 1000 draws 19W, which is a lot less than most laptops...so unless the issue is to do with the power management , there doesn't seem to be any reason why the 1000 couldn't have had a battery. Even if it is an OS / power management issue, adding a feature like this isn't exactly rocket science. The $75 to $100 that it would have added on to the price-tag might have been an issue though...I'm sure that a design spec for a 1000 with battery was floating around Akai in the early days of the 1000's development.

By mpc3000 Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:00 am
1) Space considerations. Easily understood.

2) Cost considerations. A rechargeable battery would have added another proprietary component to the design. A proprietary component would have required additional costs in design and manufacturing. Particularly in manufacturing, where it may not be easy to convince an existing battery company to retool a plant for a small run of batteries to meet Akai's low quantity needs.

3) Design considerations. Akai has never made a piece with a rechargable battery in it. They would either have to buy an existing design or design one themselves. Either could have been more of a hassle than desired. (However, I am no expert in rechargable systems, they may be pretty easy for anyone to design).

4) Competitors aren't doing it. There are only a handful of battery systems and I do not think any of those are competing with Akai.

I too, would have liked to see a battery powered MPC. We have checked into a couple of DC/AC battery packs that run under $100 each in which the MPC could be driven from for about 6 hours and they are about the size of a lunchbox.

By JusDaFied Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:55 am
Just enough time for a flight.

By thegreatmuffin Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:39 am
In your studio or live on stage, there probably will be electricity. Even if you could put battery's in the mpc1000 I think you wouldn't take the risk of getting yelled off stage after your baby ran out of power, would you? :wink:

By Dr.Foo Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:42 pm
dude, who needs a battery? everyplace I am where there is space and time to pull out something that big and mess with it, there is a power outlet nearby.

yeah, I wanna see them toyota matrix cars, (the one with laptop power plugs and ish0 tricked out to have a full studio inside, that would be ill.