Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
Byronnice Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:36 pm
I am trying to get into hiphop production using equipment. I do not know much about this stuff and all of the prior stuff that I have done has been on pc using wav files that I recorded off of my turntables into the pc thru a mixer for samples, drums etc.

I was first wondering is there a piece of equipment that will let me hook my pc up to it and transfer samples to it in wav form? And if not how can I get all of my 5 million wav samples into a piece of equipment?

I have been looking at getting a piece of equipment for some time but just haven’t had the money. I have looked at the akai mpc 1000, akai mpd16 and some of the keyboard/workstations. I just basically want to use equipment with my pc if possible, I really can’t afford a soundcard featuring midi and a piece of equipment. And I don’t know how I am going to use a piece of equipment like the mpc 1000 or the mpd16 standalone and load samples. I really need recommendations/help. If you guys can help answer my questions I would extremely appreciate it.

right now i am looking at mpc 1000 or the Roland Fantom S 61 i do not know if either of them do what i want them to do but I would appreciate your input..

i would also like to know which one will not so much be easier to use but which one a newbie would feel more comfortable..

thanks

By MPC_Producer Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:48 pm
You can afford a sound card with MIDI. There is a card for every budget. If you want to start with something basic then buy the Creative Labs Audigy for less than $75. For about $150 you can get the M-Audio Audiophile 2496, a very popular card.

But you don't need the sound card to use an MPC1000. All you need is a cable to transfer your samples through the USB port of your computer. The MPC is enough to get started writing basic songs. Some people use only their computer to write music.

Since you're just getting started you might as well wait until you understand the basics before you buy a Fantom-S or some other workstation. You have a lot to learn right now, and the MPC is a good place to begin.

Byronnice Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:30 am
much appreciation, so the 1000 will allow mt to import wav files?

as far as sound cards go i have a basically new delta 10/10 that i got from another local artist here who no longer uses it because he bought a digi-design card, which i guess is better.

now i was also interested in the Akai MPD16, what about using that with my delta and some software? almost the same as using the mpc, in a way isnt it? if u think that would be a "better" way atleast money wise and also because i could keep my wav samples on my pc without having to transfer them, what software should i use with the MPD16? or would u just go for the mpc 1000?

i appreciate all of the assistance, i have been doing a lot of research for over a year and am now finally ready to buy and am getting very excited haha.