Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By kluster Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:31 pm
Alright, I've pretty much gone through the MPC1000 manual and a hell of
a lot of the posts on these forums, but a thing that should be crystal clear
by now is actually not:

Can you sample e.g one bass sound into the MPC and then play this one
sample at different pitches with a MIDI keyboard (or w/ the pads)? The only
thing referring to a MIDI keyboard in the manual was an explanation of
how to record MIDI tracks to control outboard sound modules.

Do you have to do it the way it is explained in the multisampling tutorial, is
that the only way to create a melody? (I know, there is an another topic
on this same subject, but at least for me, it didn't clearly answer this question)

of what use is the midi keyboard with the mpc1k if you don't have an outboard
sound module or don't feel like doing the multisample tutorial process?

thanks a lot for possible help, can't believe I just can't get this to fit in my
head.

By MPC Fanatic Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:02 am
"of what use is the midi keyboard with the mpc1k if you don't have an outboard sound module or don't feel like doing the multisample tutorial process?"

There's no use other than triggering samples if you don't have an external synth or refuse to go through with the multisampling process.

By mpc3000 Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:03 am
"Do you have to do it the way it is explained in the multisampling tutorial"

I think that tutorial may be more than needed for simple work.

1) Take one sample assign it to a pad.
2) Take the same sample and assign it to another pad and tune it under the pad setting to +10.
3) Take the sample sample again and assign it to another pad and tune it under the pad setting to +20.
4) Repeat until you have a few going.
5) Repeat again but tune in decrements of 10 (i.e. -10, -20, -30) until you have as many as desired.

That's it. You now have a bunch of sounds using a single sample spread across an octave. Note that you would have to assign each detune particular pads to have them in order by external keyboard, but if you just want to jab few notes from the MPC, the above would do.

By kluster Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:21 pm
ok, I suspected something like that. This kinda goes with the topic I
started about preferred uses for the MPC. If I'm going to get one, it'll
probably be a standalone unit, save maybe a cheap VA synth (you can get
one for so cheap even new that it's appealing).

So basically I would have to either use tailor-made loops almost
exclusively or bring some hardware or software synth into play.

This puts me off a little bit.. well, let's dwell on it for a while.

By kevindetroit Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:15 pm
There is a way to take "one" sample and play it in semitones up and down the pads (or midi keyboard). This is one thing that always bugged me on the MPC. I used to use the Ensoniq EPS-16+ and ASR-10 and this was a given everytime you sampled and is a great creative way to use samples, only when you made a "kit" would it just play on that one key.

I'm trying to remember off the top of my head but I know it eats up an entire Bank (and you only have four on 2000XL). It's somewhere in Assign Pad page. It will automatically assign in semitones your sample up and down the octaves, but it eats that whole bank up...sucks, especially if you want to play live, but if you are making a track its okay.

I wish I could be more specific but I sold my MPC2KXL in order to buy the 1000 when it comes out. Check manual for MPC2000XL.

http://www.akaipro.com/us/omdload.html

Good luck

By mpc3000 Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:17 pm
"So basically I would have to either use tailor-made loops almost
exclusively or bring some hardware or software synth into play. "

What else is there? You basically mentioned everything the MPC does: plays samples and/or external gear. Were you looking for something else?

By kluster Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:16 pm
I guess I'm just pissed because it doesn't have autochromatic assign or
the ability to multisample :?

You see I was hoping to get rid of the computer except for sample-editing
purposes. I guess I could use the MPC to control the softsynths and -
samplers in Reason, but that kind of defeats the purpose of getting the
MPC, because I'd still be sitting in front of the computer.

So basically, I'm whining because I don't have the dough for hardware
synths :wink:

The MPC2000xl could be an option also. I got the picture it has autochr.assign?
It's just that somehow I'm not drawn to battling with
SCSI, memory expansions, the extra outs, etc. The CompactFlash & USB
features in the MPC1000 just sound so great and convenient.

Oh and by the way, this cleared my head a lot, now I have new stuff to think.
Thanks, great board you have here!

By mpc3000 Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:36 am
"it doesn't have .... the ability to multisample"

Yes it does. Multisampling is simply using more than one sample in a program.

"[MPC2000XL] I'm not drawn to battling with
SCSI, memory expansions, the extra outs, etc"

They are really not the hassle that everyone makes it out to be. My MPC2000XL (and MPC3000) use compactFlash cards already for ease of transfer from/to computer.

" I was hoping to get rid of the computer except for sample-editing
purposes. I guess I could use the MPC to control the softsynths and -
samplers in Reason, but that kind of defeats the purpose of getting the
MPC, because I'd still be sitting in front of the computer."

Umm, wouldn't you already be in front of the computer editing samples? Sorry, that paragraph did not make sense.

By dandondelyus_ Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:50 am
hi.

im abit confused. Is it possible to trigger external gear and letssay play a piano patch (external) from the mpc pads? like a vertical keyboard.

By mpc3000 Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:19 am
"Is it possible to trigger external gear "

Yes, the MPC1000 sends midi data from the pads.

By kluster Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:56 am
yes, you are right in that I would have to sit in front of the computer to
edit the samples. It was the compositional part of the music-making
process that I was hoping to export completely to the MPC.

I guess it would go something like this:

I edit samples in the computer and bring them over to the MPC. Then I
create something which I think is cool. If, for instance, a new keyboard
part is needed, I'll turn over to the computer and make some noise with a
softsynth. Then I either create a loop of the keyboard part I just created
and import it to the MPC or use a MIDI track to
control the softsynth part directly
from the MPC. The latter of course allows for more flexibility, but also means
that I'm more attached to the computer.

It's a pretty thin line. You're absolutely right that I won't be able to forget
about the computer, but at this stage I'm set on minimizing the time spent
twiddling with the mouse.

I wish I had a friend who had an MPC, so I could see the beast in action and see for
myself the work process involved.
The stores over here in Finland are not exactly packed with MPC's, so my possibilities
of physically
seeing one are pretty limited :(

And yes, I guess it has the ability to multisample. It just seems like
a bit of a hassle. I guess it's a matter of adjusting to the MPC and
the way it works.

I'm a bit lost with the whole unit, because I really haven't ever even seen
one.

By mpc3000 Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:54 am
"Then I either create a loop of the keyboard part I just created
and import it to the MPC or use a MIDI track to
control the softsynth part directly
from the MPC."

You are forgetting the easiest way. Just render the synth single note as a WAV directly to the MPC's CF card, load that up in the MPC's sampler and go from there without the PC. That is basically how 90% of the MPC use the sampler. Not much reason to sequence a softsynth loop using the MPC to just export back to the MPC.

"I guess it has the ability to multisample. It just seems like
a bit of a hassle. I guess it's a matter of adjusting to the MPC and
the way it works."

Actually it does not get much easier than the way it is with the MPC. One of the reasons the MPC is so popular is because it is pretty easy to use. Ever multisampled on a full featured sampler like the Akai S-series or an Emu? There are conderably more settings to tinker with (even though it makes for better samples).
By kluster Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:58 am
To hassle with an old topic, I (maybe) just figured something out...

Doesn't the 16 levels function assign a sample in semitone steps across the pads, essentially making it possible to trigger the sample in semitone steps from a MIDI kb also?

Heureka...?

What is the difference between the 2KXL:s autochromatic assign and the 16 levels function? The autochromatic assign spreads it across "four sets" of pads, the 16lvls doesn't?

Also, a question about step editing.. How does the MPC's sequencer display chords? I've understood that the step edit displays the notes one after another, not like a piano roll would.
I've had a quick glance at both the 2kxl and 1k manuals, but they didn't explain the editing so that I would've understood. I'd like a screenshot or something to clear things up some more, since I don't have access to a unit over here where I live.

I'm having trouble figuring things out from just the manual without a real machine. Bear with me, I'm trying to be careful with spending my money. Gotta get some things straight before going penniless over an MPC :shock:

thanks for the help!

By kluster Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:13 am
Oh, and one thing, which I find very very important:

Can you sample sounds with the MPC song playing in the background?

For example, if I wanted to record my bass-playing, can the tune I've created on the MPC play on the background while I'm recording my bass into the MPC??

no...? How about just a metronome.. no? damnit :cry:

How do people go about recording their guitars/raps on the thing? Completely separate unit for that?
By kevindetroit Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:03 pm
kluster wrote:To hassle with an old topic, I (maybe) just figured something out...

Doesn't the 16 levels function assign a sample in semitone steps across the pads, essentially making it possible to trigger the sample in semitone steps from a MIDI kb also?

I don't think it works that way...I really don't think it would automatically assign it in semitones up/down path. Remeber the pads are not sequential like a keyboard, they are laided out according to Midi Drum Protocol (whatever that means). So shit jumps around.

I'm sure I'll find out soon enough how to use the 16 level thing and get back to you.

Also you cannnot sample while the beat is playing...no way. The way people but guitar/bass, vocals etc is thru some sort of multitracker (soft or hard) like Pro Tools/Logic/VS-1880 or through analog mixer to some recording device (cd burner, adat). Now you could sample the persons voice and edit to fit the music, I did that for a commerical once, it took some time (8 hours) but created a cool flow, but then we did it with Pro Tools in like 5 minutes!!!