Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By DJARTWORK Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:27 pm
Yeah,yeah I know this is an MPC forum, but I cannot find any info on how the E-mu series stacks up against the MPC1000/2000XL.

Does anyone have any practicle experince with the E-mu PX-7 and how it stacks up to the MPC2000xl?

I am considering the PX-7 and the MPC 1000....any info would be great

By MPC Fanatic Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:57 pm
You probably don't want the PX-7. They do sequence but they don't even save internally. You have to export all of your sequences and other data to a computer or file storage device. All of the e-mu command stations operate this way. I found this out when I was considering gettiing the MP-7 that they offer. However, the px-7 does contain a synth engine whereas the mpcs don't. It depends on your needs. Do you want synth sounds or are you mainly trying to sample? The mpc can only sequence an EXTERNAL synth for you which is an additional costs. But I would say that it's worth getting the mpc and some type of synth module or keyboard. You may want to consider getting an mpc and the e-mu pk-6 keyboard. and even after all this, you will still have to save the keyboard's settings externally (the mpc) but it does cost less than the command station.

By MPC Fanatic Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:58 pm
You probably don't want the PX-7. They do sequence but they don't even save internally. You have to export all of your sequences and other data to a computer or file storage device. All of the e-mu command stations operate this way. I found this out when I was considering getting the MP-7 that they offer. However, the px-7 does contain a synth engine whereas the mpcs don't. It depends on your needs. Do you want synth sounds or are you mainly trying to sample? The mpc can only sequence an EXTERNAL synth for you which is an additional costs. But I would say that it's worth getting the mpc and some type of synth module or keyboard. You may want to consider getting an mpc and the e-mu pk-6 keyboard. and even after all this, you will still have to save the keyboard's settings externally (the mpc) but it does cost less than the command station.

By mpc3000 Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:15 am
"They do sequence but they don't even save internally"

I'm no great defender of E-mu, but these machines do save the sound edits and sequences internally. You do have the ability to backup work in the machine to your computer by the built in USB connection. I had one on loan here for a week.

"px-7 does contain a synth engine "

I am not sure I would call it a synth engine. It is more of a Rompler. That is, it has the exact same architecture as thier samplers, but the raw waveforms are stored on ROM chips. It is true that some of the lines between synth and sampler are blurry here, but the E-mu's are more like the Korg Triton and Roland XV/JV series than the what is regarded as synths: JP-8080, Access Virus, Waldorf Q and Korg MS2000.

To answer the original question likely comes down to one thing: Do you like or want to sample? Yes: MPC, No: Command station.

By DJARTWORK Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:13 pm
The sampling function is very important...so the E-mu is out, oh well so much for saving some money. Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate the info

Peace

By kevindetroit Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:27 pm
If you can afford it I would grab both. But I would purchase the MPC first and foremost, the sequencer in the MPC wins 50 times over. I have the Emu XL-7, which is basically the same machine with a different rom. Emu's sounds are excellent and really "heavy" they seem to compliment the sound of the MPC's sampler, the sequencer, I'm not too hot on. I picked up mine for $450 new at Guitar Center (some blowout day). But I would easily pay $700 for it (which is about how much the new one is right?). But if you need to save loot just go for MPC and sample away. Then later scoop up the Emu, and you can add more sounds to the EMU later ($120-350 a Rom).

By mpc3000 Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:40 am
"it I would grab both"

Wouldn't having two sequencers be redundant? A worst you can borrow the XL-1, Mophat, proteus, whatever, and sample the entire machine into the MPC for later use and return it to the store, err, I mean your friend.

By kevindetroit Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:33 pm
Good point, having more than one sequencer is kinda redundant. Your right, I pretty much use the Emu as a Sound Module. But at the price of $450, I thought what the heck. You could go through and sample all the sounds (since basically it's a rompler) especially with the 1000's 128 ram. But the nice thing about not sampling them is that you have all the editing features easily accessible (adsr, filters, lfos, amps, arps) quickly. Its weird in the past few years it seems every piece of gear has a some sort of sequencer (or programmable arp) in it and your right in keeping just one, but I bet a lot of cats have more than one sequencer. Sometimes its fun to experiment with other sequencers to give you a fresh outlook, but ultimately I bet all of us come back to the mothership, the MPC. But if you need to save loot follow 3000's suggestion and borrow that mug.