Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum

By Stashy Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:44 am
richard wrote:
But you could certainly do most of what a 2000xl will do on a 1000 - with more memory too. Its not a toy, great records WILL get made on these, but for more flexible/pro studio use there is still a place for an MPC 2500

Richard

I'm sold. It's just a matter of availability now

By richard Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:21 am
"But if I was buying a first MPC to do everything on tomorrow what would I do? I think I'd still get a 2000xl ..."

now the full implications of the 1000 giving access to 24 programs at once and 32 part multitimbrality are sinking in I'm not sure I would still stand by this statement... Its a somewhat more powerful machine than the 2000xl in many ways...

I STILL think there is room for a 2500 though and that many MPC2000xl dudes will what to wait and se what happens with that before rushing at a 1000

Richard

By wellsy747486 Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:08 pm
Got mine this morning, initial impressions are very impressive. I can take pics if someone wants to host them.

By aaron_bliss Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:53 pm
wellsy747486 wrote:Got mine this morning, initial impressions are very impressive. I can take pics if someone wants to host them.

Are you in the USA or UK?

By wellsy747486 Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:20 pm
I'm in the UK, we seem to be the only ones who've got em which is a shame. After a couple of hours use I'm very impressed, can't be as in depth as Richard as this is my first ever MPC, but I was surprised at how intuituive it all is. Having trouble connecting to my PC though, the PC doesn't recognise it and the MPC crashes every time, something I need to get sorted.

By richard Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:36 pm
I'm getting MPC1000 usb crashes too and have informed Akai about a possible bug there

but my PC is having no problems tranferring data so it looks like u have an additional problem too - what OS are u on - I think u need ME/2000 or XP

its quite nice the UK has something first for once... reminds us of when we mattered :)

Richard

By richard Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:46 pm
Ha!! of course not, I just like to cuddle them, If I had money and space I'd probably get a 60 and a 3000 too just for the fukk of it

in fact I can do everything I need to with a MPC4000 except carry it to the gig, hence the diddy 1000. I'm keeping the 2000 as long as it takes me to finish some projects I've started on it - unfortunately transferred projects won't quite sound the same because the sample setting will change between machines. Ultimately I'll just keep the 4000 for the studio and the 1000 for live work

the other biege box is not an MPC BTW but an old Akai EVW2000 windsynthesizer, this particular one was one of the first ones ever made in 1987 and used to belong to the late Who bassist John Entwhistle... its a wonderful instrument too

By Boogie Man Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:20 pm
richard wrote:Ha!! of course not, I just like to cuddle them, If I had money and space I'd probably get a 60 and a 3000 too just for the fukk of it

in fact I can do everything I need to with a MPC4000 except carry it to the gig, hence the diddy 1000. I'm keeping the 2000 as long as it takes me to finish some projects I've started on it - unfortunately transferred projects won't quite sound the same because the sample setting will change between machines. Ultimately I'll just keep the 4000 for the studio and the 1000 for live work

the other biege box is not an MPC BTW but an old Akai EVW2000 windsynthesizer, this particular one was one of the first ones ever made in 1987 and used to belong to the late Who bassist John Entwhistle... its a wonderful instrument too

ah, I get it , so your sort of an Akai collector huh,

By richard Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:34 pm
collector? nah they're just boxes if u don't use them, I'm just a musician. I don't own anything I don't use to perform or record or mix with. The MPCs are fascinating I think, its interesting how they take you different ways, make different things easy/possible/difficult... like synths or compressors u can't really have too many...

Richard

By itchyvinyl Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:17 pm
Richard, when you're comparing the sound/punchiness of the 1000/2000, I assume you're using the same samples on each machine when you compare??
By LabWorkz Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:47 pm
I can't wait to get the MPC 1000 it's suppose to be here on the 15th of this month Monday matter of fact but you know how that goes. But I don't think my 2000 XL will be able to touch the MPC 1000. I will let cha know what's real when I receive the MPC 1000 really soon I hope. Holla at cha boy GoNe!@#$

By richard Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:26 pm
itchyvinyl wrote:Richard, when you're comparing the sound/punchiness of the 1000/2000, I assume you're using the same samples on each machine when you compare??

ooh, now I'm worried that I'm starting a bad rumour. I've tried to sell my comments as personal initial impressions rather than thorough research so I hope they'll be taken in that spirit. But I better be clear:

I'm playing back sounds on the 1000 that I'm very familiar with on the 2000xl but my 2000xl programme settings have filter settings/fx settings which I'm used to hearing and which the 1000 doesn't translate so its not by any means a "scientific" comparison - its more my impression of the general sound of the two beasts... others may hear something different

I'm not near the 2000xl at the moment so I haven't had a chance to do a strict A/B test on a plain program - but my bread and button samples that I use all the time DO sound diferent on the 1000. I will try to to do a strict AB test at the weekend when I get back home. I would say they sound smoother, possibly more detailed, somewhat less firm in the bass... but these are subtle initial impressions yeah?

But its important to note that if you listen to the demos or just bang your own programs into a 1000 you WILL be hearing it with default master EQ and compression settings unless you make sure they are turned off - and of course this makes the 1000 sound significantly more assertive than it will sound without the master fx switched in... I tend to want the master fx on all the time, but then I prefer to hear the 2000xl with a bus compressor too and an EQ tweak too...

I've heard some really shitty D/A converters recently and the MPC1000 is NOT AT ALL in that league, it will NOT mash up your shit like some poxy soundcard. It sounds very good, but its my contention that some diehards will still prefer the characteristics of the 2000xl, 60, 3000 or whatever, and for some tunes I may prefer to stick the 2000xl myself. But soundwise I wouldn't hesitate to take the 1000 and play live with it, and it will also sound fine/good/great for general studio use. Still haven't tried the SPDIF...

I'll be very interested when more of you get a chance to hear this machine how far your impressions of its sonics agree/differ with my own. First impressions are not always best impressions and I need to hear more of the unit myself on my usual monitoring system before saying anything else about this aspect...

cheers

Richard

By itchyvinyl Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:38 pm
richard wrote:
itchyvinyl wrote:Richard, when you're comparing the sound/punchiness of the 1000/2000, I assume you're using the same samples on each machine when you compare??

ooh, now I'm worried that I'm starting a bad rumour. I've tried to sell my comments as personal initial impressions rather than thorough research so I hope they'll be taken in that spirit. But I better be clear:

Look at the number of views for this post. 3G and climbing! :shock: