Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum

By itchyvinyl Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:14 pm
Jpegs not showing.
Links not working.

By bboy Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:24 pm
yea, I don't know what the deal is. You have to copy and paste the link to the address bar.

By richard Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:37 pm
funny it works okay for me in Internet Explorer but not Opera...

yeah, things getting outa hand on the MPC front!.I guess that 2000xl will have to go, but only when I've totally got my head around the two newbies

thanks Bboy for upping the pics, shame my camera is so crappy

Richard

By Stashy Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:44 am
I can't believe it until I see it and the pictures aren't showing on my computer.

By mpc3000 Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:32 am
"pictures aren't showing on my computer"

Get out of click mode. Try highlighting the text and pasting in your favorite browser. Worked for me.

By Stashy Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:42 am
OK I've seen the pictuers, you had it for over 8 hours now. What do you think so far. I have 1200 bones to spend. I can go with the 2000xl or the 1000. I like the 1000 but want to make sure it stacks up. What insight can you tell me.

By Swissmaster Cheese Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:24 am
Richard, good looking out on the pics...do you use reason or logic?....that sounds like the perfect compliment to both those programs.....the pads dont seem very get downnable from this point of view but I dunno, i'll hafta see one in person to get the feel...

By richard Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:48 am
I can't see any major drawbacks with the 1000 so far, well maybe one...

this compact flash is dream really, cheap, fast and tiny too - meet the future.... what is also the future is that I have the 1000 and the 4000 connected to the laptop and a zip drive with my 2000zip in it and I can just scoot programs and sequences between the three in seconds - of course the file compatibilty is not great, but Akai say that will improve... the whole usb/compact flash things is almost seamless with my computer - I just dragged some 2000xl stuff into it,

the fx settings are nice to change in real time while playing but you have to keep stopping playback to change what mode u r in mixer/fx /global etc. This is crap, maybe an OS upgrade could sort it - but as the 2000 is the same so maybe not?

he filters and fx are far more useful than the 2000, the master fx section is basic - just EQ and comp - but is excellent, - you it evens volumes a little between when you have three parts playing and when you have 24, good for gigging I can leave my little FMR compressor at home now...

the best thing about the 1000 its all-in-oneness, and it underlines that this is a gigging box, this also has downsides - fact is its too small for all the buttons, feels fiddly, more like using a computer (maybe). One the 2000 I had one hand on the wheel and pads and one on the buttons and I was fast, but this has the buttons and wheel IN THE SAME SPACE - so I'm squeezing one hand underneath the other to get at the shit. This is major design failure IMO, you'd have to do some work on it to really know what I mean, but I think its more than just getting used to it... the data wheel is just in the wrong place. The layout and colours of the buttons is visually a mess and still confusing me - when i look at it my mind goes blank, doesn't seem as intutive and well arranged as other MPCs, my hand keeps going to the wrong places

other issues: the lack of tilting or raised screen is a costcutting compromise, its diffilcult to get used to, I will probably end up
using the machine live at an angle with a brick or something at the back. However the screen is a few cm bigger than the 2000 with huge writing so you can see it.

All in all I reckon the 1000 could just about work in a small studio, but for serious work the 2000 with output boards would be better, flexible and maybe better soundwise too. Don't get me wrong, the 1000 sounds very good but it sounds different, smoother, less punchy is the best way I can put it - maybe less MPC-sounding. However with the digital output I dunno how much difference there would really be... be interesting to hear what others think about this when more of us can hear it... I think some people will prefer the sound of the 1000 precisely because it is less unique... BTW the 1000 does NOT compare with the 4000 is sound quality, not even close...

I suspect that studio bods will want to wait to see if the MPC2500 is a reality before rushing this... the MPC2000 is pretty slow, cumbersome and fiddly with floppies or zip drives,

two crashes while connected to the PCs USB port and idle - some small issue there

Another minor bug is that in the main page, scrolling thru the programs with the data wheeel doesn't always go right to the end, adding
my own programs onto the demo stuff I had to scroll to the begining before I could get to the end. How can I tell akai about this stuff?

Overall - I'm pretty happy with it for my purposes (gigging). But if I was buying a first MPC to do everything on tomorrow what would I do? I think I'd still get a 2000xl ... it kicks and it makes sense. .. I have no desire to lose mine just yet. a used 2000xl with the output boards and zip drive and even an MFC42 is probably the same price as a 1000 in the UK at the moment

For most I reckon ultimatley something between a 1000 and a 4000 will be ideal and as a taster for that the 1000 is very interesting, if it is a replacement than I wouldn't be so happy... for me, this is a great gigging machine, but for serious editing and song development? Mmm, I'm less convinced.... a 2500 would have to offer a lot more of what the 4000 has got as well, including the abilty to be playing all the time, whatever page you are on...

Richard

BTW. Stashy - u in London? there's a used 4000 on sound and sound website for 1200 with all the extras - dunno if its legit but its a very good deal if it is, thats what I'd do with £1200, or are you counting in $$$?

PS Swiss, in reply to the software question I use samplitude and just for audio, as I don't like sequencing on the computer at all. Doesn't sound or
feel right to me and it never has. Mostly I use MPC/Fruity Loops/Acid for grooves and patterns and play everything else live (then edit
out the many mistakes in the audio!). My way of working is a mess actually, always exporting between appz and machines - I'm really hoping the MPC4000 will sort me out in this regard...

By Swissmaster Cheese Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:54 pm
once again great post....we can use you on the 2kxl side too :D
anyhow, what i meant was do you track with it or the 2kxl?...I too am not really into s/w sequencing either, cant beat the human touch of course-humans have the best swing on the planet :lol: ....i seriously hope to get a good s/w sampler/processor in the future when the dough is looking right but it sounds like you got yourself a nice lil setup with the 1k dispite the lil quirks so far......

By EntouRAJ Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:40 am
what are you doing with all those MPC's???? wanna send me the ones you don't use no more? :D

By dandondelyus_ Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:05 am
"but for serious editing and song development? Mmm, I'm less convinced...."

Hi richard,, do you mean, the sequencer part of the 1000, is a cut down version of 2000?

By richard Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:47 am
as far as i can tell the sequencer is fine, what I mean is really that the 2000xl is physically much nicer to use for long periods - screen, button layout etc, 8 outputs, MFC mounted above it... great!

But you could certainly do most of what a 2000xl will do on a 1000 - with more memory too. Its not a toy, great records WILL get made on these, but for more flexible/pro studio use there is still a place for an MPC 2500

Richard

By kevindetroit Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:18 pm
Excellent report Richard, really like it as the idea of the 1000 as a "giging machine". Finding out in a few from Guitar Center if they came through today.

By bakebeatz Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:59 pm
good look at least now we now it exsits when the **** is it gonna come to the usa thats what i want to kno :roll:

By kevindetroit Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:24 am
No dice at Guitar Center today, robbed a liquor store and drove there this afternoon. They said Monday (today), so I spoke to GC Head Manager and he said he got an email from Akai (here we go again) saying there was a delay in shipping, should be here on 15th...In vain, I said the two sales people I talked to said that "Guitar Center HQ sent email stating they had shipped from Guitar Center Warehouse in Washington", he felt like I misunderstood what the two separate sales people said, so I left it alone as to not get any of the folks there in trouble (and maybe get blacklisted from the first run!) I really wish stores would be straight up and say they have no idea when we are getting them. Well I'll be up there again on the 15th.