Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Bezo Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:02 pm
I've done some searches and have been reading many threads. There seems to be a lot of knowledge and educated opinions here, so I came to ask for help.

My set up currently consist of Pro Tools LE 6.1, MAC G4, guitar, bass, Yamaha synth, and DR 770 drum machine. I'm considering the MPC 1000.

First, let me say that my music is based around my instruments. I haven't sampled to this point. I was happy with my set-up until I realized how labor intensive it is to program/sequence drums with the DR 770. Anyone that has used it knows there are only 1 set of stereo outs, so I'm not able to program drum patterns in the machine and get them to separate tracks in Pro Tools. So I've been recording one drum track at a time and manually adjusting for any desired swing, syncopation, timing issues, ect. I think the MPC would do wonders for my drum programming.

Maybe, down the line, I'll try incorporating samples into my music, but as of right now my need for the MPC is strictly to program/sequence drums. Is there anyone with a similar method? Even those of you that use the MPC for sample purposes; do you think the MPC 1000 has value as just a drum programming/sequencing machine?

By triplegreen Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:13 pm
ok let me understand this, You are using the drum machine's sequencer as well as the one in logic? I used a dr770 at one time an it was pretty easy to use. I also had cakewalk and it was a pain in tha ass to progam drums for so I use mpc2000xl to sequence everything and a adobe audition to record my tracks, vocals, my live percussion. please clarify your set up and I will try the best I can to answer your questions.

By Bezo Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:44 pm
Nah, I'm not using the drum machine's sequencer. Because of the limited outs, I can't use the DR 770's sequencer and get each sound on it's own track. I wish I could. If so, I'd make do with what I have. After some tweaking in both the drum machine and Pro Tools, I'm able to get some nice sounds.

What I do is hit record in Pro Tools and pound out each hit, real time, over 4-8 bars. I do it one sound at a time so I can put each sound on a different track. Then I'll go back and edit. Because I'm doing it one sound at a time, there's no feel to it, so I end up doing a lot of editing to account for timing issues. When it comes down to it, I'm not really programming drums. My method is 100% manual.

I'm considering the MPC 1000 so I could program the drums there, record the sequence into Pro Tools and not have to worry much about it other than some mixing procedures.

My concern is that I'd be paying almost $900 for what I believe is a great machine, but only using it to program drums. Regarding my other instruments, I do everything in Pro Tools... record, edit, mix, ect. I see others on here that use both Pro Tools and the MPC, but it appears that they do most of their work on the MPC, as you do. I'm looking for opinions regarding the MPCs value as strictly a drum machine.

My set up is very simple. It consist of a MAC G4, Pro Tools 6.1, digi 002 Rack, guitar, bass guitar, synthesizer, and drum machine along with headphones, amps, monitors, cables, mics, ect.

By triplegreen Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:27 am
well you can sequence the drums and export the midi file into logic, but I don't see why you just don't get a mpd16 then get a drum machine from linplug.com or native instruments battery. since you use logic mainly. 900 dollars is almost a little too much just to up your drum game. But what do I know soft sequencers made me angry for the last time.

By Bezo Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:51 pm
I use Pro Tools, not Logic.

I don't want to use MIDI if I don't have to. If it's possible, I want to sequence the drums in the machine and record them as audio using the line outs. I believe the MPC 1000 has 6 outs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't I assign each drum sound to an out and record it to a track in Pro Tools?

I can't find specs on the MPD16. How many line outs on it?

By RAVEN Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:22 am
The mpd 16 is just a midi/ software controller with mpc pads no audio outs no internal sounds.
as far as the mpc 1k" having value as just a
drum programing/sequencing machine"
thats what the whole thing is about! Thats
what all mpcs are famous for, and thats why
we are all here.The special thing about the mpc
compared to drum machines is that you can load
any drum sounds you want into it and play them.
Unlimited drum machine. And yes you can track
individual drums parts into your tracks in protools.
The 1k has 4 individual outs and a left and right out (stereo) I dont know if you can use the stereo outs as an extra 2 outs I dont own a 1k.

By Swissmaster Cheese Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:26 am
simple answer....just cop a 1k or used 2kxl(about the same price as a 1k) and just pound out your drum sequences in that, then via the optional 8 outs card(2kxl) or the stock 1k outputs, you can edit your individual tracks in PT.....see, simple, no need to make it hard on yourself...if thats too complex than just get a MPD16 and a good drum plug like my man said and you're good to go...either way you're still gonna hafta **** with midi at some point....but with the 1k/2kxl you will have greater flexibility over your beats and with the 8 outs, you can record and edit each track in protools to your liking instead of recording one at a time.....like i said, no need ot make it hard on yourself....

By Bezo Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:56 am
Swiss,

I never thought it would be complex. My only concern is not getting the full value of the MPC. It appears that most of you use it to do more than just program drums.

I've been using Pro Tools for quite some time. Me and Pro Tools get along fine. My question for you is why would I have have to deal with midi if the MPC 1000 has 4 line outs?

Raven,

No outs on the MPD makes it not an option.

See, everyone that I've seen use an MPC did almost all of their work on it. Drums, sampling, sequencing, ect. But your right, it is known for drum programming.

And yeah, the other thing I appreciate is that you can sample any drums sound... any sound for that matter. I had actually planned on sampling all of the DR 700 sounds into the MPC before I sold it.

Not sure if either of you use Pro Tools, but I assume you use some software in conjunction with the MPC. If so, how much work do you do on the MPC vs. Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, ect? Are you sequencing non-drum elements in the MPC? If so, why there instead of using the software?

Thanks fellas! Akai may owe you a commision.

By the way, I only saw one person on here that has actually got their hands on the 1000... via mail. Any idea when they should hit stores? I know Akai has an excellent rep, but no way I buy it before I can play around with it.

By RAVEN Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:49 am
I sequence everthing on the mp, then record into protools.
Then when my whole song is in pro tools i use the plug ins
and mixer to tweek the tracks. So right there i dont need to
use A. a mixer. i have a digimax for preamps +8 more outs.
B. Out board efx units.eq. i use waves & pro tools.
C. more cpu power computer sequencing.

As for why i dont use software sequencing-
its because i love the 2kxl's tightness and reliability,
and if i push my old g4 (400) to much it will crash.

By Bezo Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:41 am
Raven,

I printed the specs for the 1000 and 2000XL, and the the manual for the 1000. Pardon some of my questions. I'm only 25 pages deep.

Seems like I could either send the sequence to Pro Tools via midi or line outs. Is that the case? Which do you use? My understanding is that there is some delay when using midi because of the amount of data transfered.

I assume that in order to have them synced, you would have to use midi in some way. Is it possible/customary to link the MPC to PT via midi, but record the audio from the MPC to PT via line outs?

Is there a noticable difference in sound when sequencing on the MPC vs Pro Tools? It's my understanding the the MPC has a sound. How much of a difference does the pre amp make?

On paper at least, the 1000 seems to have a lot of bang. Again, I know it hasn't been used, but from the specs is there a reason to get the 1000 over 2000XL? As soon as the 1000 hits stores I'm there to A/B it vs the 2000XL. But I think I'm sold. One of them is as good as bought.

By RAVEN Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:54 am
Bezo,
I use the mp's sequencer to sequence the whole song(via midi/ song mode) execpt live vocals and live instruments. Then i press play on the mp and record the audio into pt -and im done- no delay when using
the mp to sequence.Yes you can hook up the mp to pt via midi (search the forms for this porcedure)and record into pt.You can use pt as the master, (mp as slave) or the other way around. The mp has no pre amp, the only sound deference would be in the quantized sequences (the new pt software has a mp quantizing emulator).When sampling on the mp 2kxl(live,or line level,/ not digital or cd rom)
you might notice some sound degradation,I dont know what the sampler on the 1k sounds like
but,the 2kxl seems to put a kind of sameness on the samples (fixable with eq).Check the sample rate on the 1k it might higher than the 2kxl.
anyway i hope this helps....... see ya..........

By Bezo Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:04 am
Thanks Raven. Appreciate your help.

I had a good idea how it would be hooked up, just didn't know how the audio was transfered... via midi cables or 1/4 in. line calbes. After thinking about it, it seems like common sense that the music travels through the 1/4 in. cables and the midi cables are for communication.

Hopefully the 1000 is in stores this weekend. I want to A/B it against the 2000XL and the EMU PX7 or MP7.