Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
ByWooptywoop Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:55 pm
Been checking out the MPC series for awhile. Been rockin w/ the ASR 10 and SP1200.

I like the features of the MPC1000 but I have one question(that has been asked b4). Can I connect a keyboard into the MIDI in and play whatever sample is currently loaded into the MPC?

IE.. sample a bass to the MPC.. then play it from the keyboard?

ByWooptywoop Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:10 pm
Cool.. thanks for the info.

By kevindetroit Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:32 am
Yes you can as the Tutor says, but it's a bit different compared to ASR. When you sample a bass sound on ASR it assigns that one sound in semi-tones up and down the keyboard, then as you know you go back in adjust it's key range, say C1-C#3 or to just one note for a kit. In the MPC you assign the one sample to one note (pad). If you want to play it up and down the pitch you must do this simple autocromatic operation that eats up one whole bank (you only have 4 banks), this kinda blows in my opinion. But MPC-Tutor has laid out a wonderful tutorial on doing multisampling, it takes time but works really good too, and with your 1000 maxed out in memory (128) you don't have to worry about running out of room (as with ASR's 4 megs?). I thought I died and gone to heaven when I jumped up from EPS16+ 1meg to MPC2000xl's 16 megs. Once you pickup a MPC you will see a difference in the sequencer immediatly...so much tighter than ASR, worth it's weight in gold. When I power up my old Ensoniq EPS-16+, I miss the sound and Ensoniq's effects (ASR is ten times doper), but after 10 minutes of using that Ensonig sequencer, I feel like judo chopping the board in half, once you go with MPC you will rarely go back...now the SP is a whole different story!

ByWooptywoop Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:42 pm
I kind of assumed that may be the case if playing the sound from the pads. Where you would assign a range to each pad. But I somehow assumed that via Midi.. that the keyboard would 'just play' the sound according to each key pressed. My intention was to use my appreg from my keyboard and appreg the samples on the MPC via midi. Possible? ..w/o mapping out ranges manually?

By Lampdog Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:39 pm
kevindetroit wrote:you don't have to worry about running out of room (as with ASR's 4 megs?). I thought I died and gone to heaven when I jumped up from EPS16+ 1meg to MPC2000xl's 16 megs.
16 megs max

By kevindetroit Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:45 pm
yeah, you could defitantly send arp out (as long as your keyboard sends arp out) to the mpc, just gotta make sure a sound is assigned to the right pads. But because the MPC is layed out in midi protocol of a drum machine the pad notes are not sequencial. But if you play a really long arp you might get some interesting sounds happening.