Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Roopesh Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:27 pm
I want to get an MPC 1000, but dont know if i should just yet.

i mean i have a full software setup like Logic 6 platinum, Exs24 soft sampler (have shite load of FX and high quality acoustic guitars, etc, recycle 2, various hardware modules, and fruityloops 4.

i currently make all my beats on FL 4 as i feel it has a real tight groove. i have used Logic with Exs24 (but the sound is tinny and flat), and theres just no joy for me.

in Fruityloops i make use of the volume per channel, velocity, its own shift timing (which only goes later and NOT earlier), the decay filter, etc.

I have successfully emulated drums like Dre, Timbaland, and Neptunes (with the live feel) using phat Kicks, acoustic snares, bongos and congas, tambs, shakers, cabasas, etc.

even tried doing that MPC 16 levels thing (but not quite the same way like 16 levels) where each Kick drum hit has varying levels, and it WORKS.

Although FruityLoops has an unusual 'Swing' settings (like the slider bar), i still manage to get really good results with 56% and 62% on the Kicks and Snares, with hi hats left straight.

i mainly take 2 bar or 4 bar loops into Logic Audio for proper drum layering, panning and mix down.

so i am quite impressed so far, even though its cheapo Fruityloops, i feel that after using it so much and learning tricks of my own, i can emulate drums of productions that i myself am into and produce, such as RnB (both US and UK) and Hip Hop.

BUT...i am also interested in buying an MPC 1000 for a hands on feel.

i never thought i would be, but i am now confused.

By itchyvinyl Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:36 pm
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Just find the thing that you feel comfortable on and work it.

By richard Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:39 am
fruity loops is great, it sounds good and its easy to work with, don't be embarrassed by that. I've done some jazz and funk grooves with it that swing like crazy...

but the MPCs have a sound and feel and create a different physical experience of playing and composing your stuff and for me that is just so much better that sitting with any computer. I get my stuff together much quicker on an MPC too and I'm always composing with my ears and not my eyes.. which helps

So I never use fruity loops now but when i go back to dig up some old FL groove I'm amazed at some o the ideas that that app (and Acid) enabled...

But if I import one of those grooves to the MPC and just play it straight it ALWAYS sounds fatter and tighter, and because it sounds like that it seems to groove more... part of the MPC mystery I think

but unless you really feel frustrated by your current setup then stay with it. I got to HATE turning on the computer so I had no choice to spend the $$$ on this MPC path which is now an addiction

Richard

By richard Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:42 am
...and an expensive one at that :)

Richard