Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By NearTao Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:39 pm
Just to give a little something back to the community I put this guide together for anybody who wants to replace the LEDs on their MPC. It isn't 100% definitive, but it should get you what you need to know.

I picked up my LEDs from http://needlewerk.com/, others will likely work as well.

Remember, if you proceed you do so at your own risk.

http://www.neartao.com/MPC_1000_LED_Installation.pdf
By distortedtekno Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:40 pm
Nice job.
Let me clarify a few things that may help out (since I already replaced my LEDs before being able to have access to a camcorder).

I found that it's easier to remove the end cap (plastic side on the right) before removing the cable by the volume knob.

Desoldering braid is something I avoid (unless used for other purposes like removing bridges), as it can be tricky and damage the pads of a PCB.
So I recommend a desoldering iron...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731&cp=&pg=3&sr=1&origkw=soldering&kw=soldering&parentPage=search
or at least a Vacuum Desoldering Tool....
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062745&cp=&pg=3&sr=1&origkw=soldering&kw=soldering&parentPage=search

As far as the polarity of the LEDs are concerned, the long leg is the anode (+), and the shorter is the cathode (-).
On the PCB you'll see markings where the LED is to be soldered.
These marking don't indicate "+ or -".
They look more like this... " |> " .The larger side of this triangular.
To make it simpler, refer to the pic below.

By hiphoppa Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:48 pm
Great info D, thanks!

I;ll be getting mine soon. I'll let ya'll know what's up when installed!

xPEACE
By distortedtekno Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:38 pm
No doubt. But NearTao deserves credit here as well for the pdf instructions. All I've done is added a few clarifications to what he posted, since I couldn't make a video.
Given all the info in this topic, I believe that making a video won't be necessary.
If anyone here has never soldered or de-doldered, I'm sure there's some youtube or other videos on the web that'll help. Right now, I gotta head out and visit my stepdad. So I don't have time to search for any good soldering videos. But I'll try to find some later on when I get back home.
By narkotiq Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:18 pm
the leds sold on needlwerk are far to bright.

the original leds the mpc come with are 1.5cd.

the ones on needlewerk are 3.2cd (way too bright for a working environment)

i'm gonna get some 1.5s from an electronics store myself.
By distortedtekno Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:15 am
^^^ It's all a matter of preference. I like them. So I'll have to replace the remaining LEDs in order to have matching brightness. But since it's only another 5 or 6 LEDs, I'll probably wait till the wood sides are up for sale and include them in my order.

BTW, If you think these LEDs are too bright, you gotta see the DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard. Those LEDs are so bright that you can land an airplane with them. My friend had a Poly Evolver Keyboard and it almost blinded me. :lol:
By NearTao Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:11 pm
distortedtekno wrote:BTW, If you think these LEDs are too bright, you gotta see the DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard. Those LEDs are so bright that you can land an airplane with them. My friend had a Poly Evolver Keyboard and it almost blinded me. :lol:

No doubt... my studio already looks like mission control with all of the bright pulsating LEDs, displays and ... and this is after I sold of a bunch of gear. I just had fun taking the plunge on messing around with the MPC to make it a bit more my own. Now I just need to wait for the pad upgrade to show up next month and it'll be gravy.
By narkotiq Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:26 pm
ok. neartao your tutorial has got me convinced, i'm gonna replace the leds on my 1k.

2 questions.

what are the specifications of the leds in the 1k? 3mm or 5mm? and what voltage?

as the led for the mode button flashes, do i need to purchase a flashing led to replace it?

any help will be greatly appreciated bruh.

peace.
By narkotiq Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:12 pm
upon further investigation...

i opened the mpc and i've discovered that the leds are 3mm

i wud replace the leds on the q-link board no problem, BUT there is no way i wud try and replace the leds on the main board myself. here are my reasons.

the tutorial from neartao as cool as it is, is for the old model. the layout somewhat differs for the pad upgrade, for example, the old model has one of the qlink cabel running along the top of the pads. the new model with pad updrage has the cable tucked way underneath the metal plate holding the pads. sure you could remove it with no problem, but to put it back it woud mean also taking the bottom off and shyt. then theres that blue ribbon cable, again easier to get a grip of if you have the OLD pads, i have the new pads - i had a fiddle around and there is no way i'm gonna attempt to remove it. i got no balls lol i just get that ugly feeling that the whole shyt is gonna break on me. i'm gonna leave it in sumwhere.

other useful info is the exact specification of the mpc1k leds is:

3mm standard 1.5cd (the needlewerk leds are 3.2cd which i personally think is too bright)
By distortedtekno Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:13 pm
I just ordered 6 more blue LEDs to replace the remaining stock LEDS. It took me a while to decide what colors I should pick. But I decided to go blue all the way. If I change my mind later on, I'll add different colors when the wood sides become available.
From looking at my MPC, I just had to get the remaining LEDs instead of waiting, since the stock aren't as bright as these replacements..... and i'm on a hardcore misson to pimp out my MPC. It used to be the blue & red model a few years ago. So I've changed everything over the course of time from the housing, buttons, knobs, sliders, CF slot, etc, etc.
I would've ordered the black pad rubber from VST, but I'll wait on that, since the rubber on my new pads are breaking in nicely (and it would take some time to break in a new set all over again). But I'll consider it in the future.
By hiphoppa Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:45 pm
narkotiq wrote:
as the led for the mode button flashes, do i need to purchase a flashing led to replace it?

peace.

Hey guys, has this question been answered? I just got my LEDs and am mapping out what to do but would like to know the answer before I jump in about needing a "blinking" LED or not for the [mode] LED??

Thanks for the help.
By distortedtekno Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:46 pm
hiphoppa wrote:
narkotiq wrote:

peace.

Hey guys, has this question been answered? I just got my LEDs and am mapping out what to do but would like to know the answer before I jump in about needing a "blinking" LED or not for the [mode] LED??

Thanks for the help.

You don't need a "blinking" LED. The intermittant voltage going to those LEDs is what makes them blink when those buttons are activated.
By hiphoppa Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:19 am
distortedtekno wrote:
hiphoppa wrote:
narkotiq wrote:

peace.

Thanks for the help.

You don't need a "blinking" LED. The intermittant voltage going to those LEDs is what makes them blink when those buttons are activated.

Thanks Tek, sorry for the question.

xPEACE