All the latest news from the MPC-Samples network
By MPC-Tutor Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:29 pm
My MPC Renaissance Hardware Review:

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-renaissanc ... -hardware/

Lots of pictures and details on all the hardware specific aspects, such as build quality, screen, pads, buttons, design and connections.

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-renaissanc ... -hardware/
By JAH Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Hopefully in the future it will be used for more than just velocity indication, for example pad colour could be used to indicate sample groups as per your specific set up for each program (red = percussion, green = piano, orange = bass etc).

You didn't mention that you can set the color of each pad globally......
By MPC-Tutor Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 pm
JAH wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:Hopefully in the future it will be used for more than just velocity indication, for example pad colour could be used to indicate sample groups as per your specific set up for each program (red = percussion, green = piano, orange = bass etc).

Cheers, forgot that one - updated that now.
By JAH Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
JAH wrote:

Cheers, forgot that one - updated that now.

You said the colored pads were pretty much 'eye candy' and that some may find it a novelty. But they do serve an important purpose in Step Sequence.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:46 am
JAH wrote:You said the colored pads were pretty much 'eye candy' and that some may find it a novelty. But they do serve an important purpose in Step Sequence.

I'll cover the software and how it ties in with the hardware in a later review so people can get a clearer understanding of how these things may or may not benefit them - if I feel the light usage in step sequence has significance to workflow, I'll make sure it's discussed in detail.
By gertie Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:12 am
Its a shame the build quality on these units isnt so good.
A few members round here have had to return theirs already.
I wonder if it was one dodge production batch or a manufacturing glitch in general?
By Coz Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:07 am
It's a major stretch to even describe the Ren as an 'evolutionary step'... More a sign of the times or even a backwards step IMO.

Also, the 'ghosting' of the screen would be perfectly acceptable if the hardware/software combination was taut and responsive when editing, but several people claim it is borderline unusable. If Akai can't sort out the bidirectional connection to the hardware then this thing is doomed. Either that or they might as well dump the screen and rebadge it as a new MPD.