All the latest news from the MPC-Samples network
By DJ Hellfire Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:35 pm
Coz wrote:It's a major stretch to even describe the Ren as an 'evolutionary step'... More a sign of the times or even a backwards step IMO.

Also, the 'ghosting' of the screen would be perfectly acceptable if the hardware/software combination was taut and responsive when editing, but several people claim it is borderline unusable. If Akai can't sort out the bidirectional connection to the hardware then this thing is doomed. Either that or they might as well dump the screen and rebadge it as a new MPD.

Yeah, and the weird thing is not every screen/parameter lags. Someone mentioned to that it could possibly be caused by the midi driver putting low latency as a priority over everything else.
By Retrofreak Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 pm
http://mistadaz.com/blog/index.php?id=35215870529

Ok so let’s get started. Now I have lived with this bad boy for a couple weeks now so I could explore what’s what with this box properly, I have plentyof notes I shall begin with

The negatives:

1. The first thing that jumped out at me after taking it out of the box. “The Power supply “. No just NO..!! This standard 12v av looking adapter “WILL” definitely get bent at the plug connection and render useless at some point in time, also the length of the cord is far too short. Gonna need an extension lead plonked on the desk right next to it looking ugly just to reach the wall sockets. (I don’t like leads everywhere exposed).

2. The installation disks: How can you have one disc with three seperate installations on there that you have to install separately one by one, that also takes long to install? Why not just have it run in sequence all in one go. It felt like I was a kid again loading a game on my “Commadore 16” not even my 64, go out to play, come in have dinner and its still loading. (Fail)

3. I personally felt that the arm rest pad is too raised when resting on it trying to operate the transport button with my right hand. Not comfortable through the movement with the fingers, coming from the 3000 way of doing things

4. Some might disagree but for me also the playstop button is now like a trigger button so you can repeatedly hit the button to trigger the beat at the start much like cue points on Serato. When it comes to trying to overdub real quick to add to the beat live without pressing stop, this becomes a problem for me so I have to use the play button next to it. Again coming from the 3000 I’m use to hitting the playstop button then hitting overdub, a habit I now have to break.

5. Now we come to the software side of things and oh dear. Due to Akai rushing this product there are bugs all over the place exposing themselves to the masses. Granted first of all Akai released a new software update that now allows the protools RTAS plugin compatibility to work, but a complete SNUB goes to the scanning of your computer for other plugins such as VST for example. ‘Sheesh’ The Ren basically swears at you saying ‘I refuse to work I’m going on strike,’ and crashes for fun. This madness I’m understanding is common with Most if not all of them. After discussions with colleagues and in forums.

6. I strongly feel you should be able to use the software without the hardware. There will be times when I’m not in the studio and need to make quick adjustment edits on my laptop to a session without having to plug the Ren in all the time. The dongle stuff? Na not the one.

The positives:

7. The build quality of this machine is immense. The knobs and data wheel are very smooth and feel nice and solid. The numerical pad is small for me again coming from a 3000 background, I like the screen size and the way it lifts right up, and the lighting up of different colour pads according to what sample is a winning idea 8. The navigation: coming from a 3000 I knew exactly where I was with this box from when I first switched it on. I am not a fan of manual reading, I like to just get on with it. My anticipations of doing this were met very well

9. The work flow is so straight to the point and as easy as drag and drop. It reads all my files and old sequences, love the layering feature too. Think we need to take another look at the sampling feature though, it lags behind forcing you to edit with the computer which defeats the object of what we are trying to do here

10. Some of the sounds you get with the box are surprisingly good. I already have my secret weapons, and of course I am not revealing what they are either :)

All in all even though we have been waiting for this product for a very long time and it was a rushed release I am happy to own one, it has inspired me to hibernate in the studio and lace like I use too. It has not met all my expectations as of yet, due to the bugs at the moment but that can be sorted out in time as its all software based and an update away. A little pricey for what it is in my opinion, but as a loyal MPC man I will back this product providing they fix the important negative issues I raised earlier on, More importantly

LET US USE IT WITHOUT THE HARDWARE.!!!

Peace to my MPC funky family
By JAH Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:35 am
Retrofreak wrote:http://mistadaz.com/blog/index.php?id=35215870529

Ok so let’s get started. Now I have lived with this bad boy for a couple weeks now so I could explore what’s what with this box properly, I have plentyof notes I shall begin with

The negatives:

1. The first thing that jumped out at me after taking it out of the box. “The Power supply “. No just NO..!! This standard 12v av looking adapter “WILL” definitely get bent at the plug connection and render useless at some point in time, also the length of the cord is far too short. Gonna need an extension lead plonked on the desk right next to it looking ugly just to reach the wall sockets. (I don’t like leads everywhere exposed).

4. Some might disagree but for me also the playstopbutton is now like a trigger button so you can repeatedly hit the button to trigger the beat at the start much like cue points on Serato. When it comes to trying to overdub real quick to add to the beat live without pressing stop, this becomes a problem for me so I have to use the play button next to it. Again coming from the 3000 I’m use to hitting the playstop button then hitting overdub, a habit I now have to break.

1. I absolutely hate wall wart external power supplies especially ones that use the flimsy connectors. I would have preferred an internal PSU or at least design a more robust connector that will last for those that travel with the Ren.

4. This is one of the best parts of the more recent MPCs. Older MPCs the Play Start button starts your sequence from the beginning. Subsequently hitting Play Start does nothing.

The newer MPCs to include the Ren and 2500 allows you to use Play Start as a 'trigger' and can repeatedly start the sequence from the beginning. This is so useful in a live performance. What is also nice about the Ren is that you don't have to hold down the REC or OVERDUB buttons. With the Ren, you can start a sequence and immediately go into record or overdub by tapping the respective button. Older MPCs like the 3000, you have to hold down the record/overdub buttons + the play button. When the Ren's sequencer is stopped...you simply press Rec or Overdub button and the subsequently hitting Play/Play Start and the sequencer will start recording. Love this.

5. New update coming soon.
By Retrofreak Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:19 am
JAH wrote:

The negatives:

4. Some might disagree but for me also the playstopbutton is now like a trigger button so you can repeatedly hit the button to trigger the beat at the start much like cue points on Serato. When it comes to trying to overdub real quick to add to the beat live without pressing stop, this becomes a problem for me so I have to use the play button next to it. Again coming from the 3000 I’m use to hitting the playstop button then hitting overdub, a habit I now have to break.

1. I absolutely hate wall wart external power supplies especially ones that use the flimsy connectors. I would have preferred an internal PSU or at least design a more robust connector that will last for those that travel with the Ren.

4. This is one of the best parts of the more recent MPCs. Older MPCs the Play Start button starts your sequence from the beginning. Subsequently hitting Play Start does nothing.

The newer MPCs to include the Ren and 2500 allows you to use Play Start as a 'trigger' and can repeatedly start the sequence from the beginning. This is so useful in a live performance. What is also nice about the Ren is that you don't have to hold down the REC or OVERDUB buttons. With the Ren, you can start a sequence and immediately go into record or overdub by tapping the respective button. Older MPCs like the 3000, you have to hold down the record/overdub buttons + the play button. When the Ren's sequencer is stopped...you simply press Rec or Overdub button and the subsequently hitting Play/Play Start and the sequencer will start recording. Love this.

5. New update coming soon.

Jah will we see the update before xmas?

...and no 6. is killing me :cry:
By JAH Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:32 am
JAH wrote:....they do serve an important purpose in Step Sequence.

The pad lights of the Ren serve an important purpose in Step Sequencing. In this video, the red pads indicate where the kicks are placed in the sequence.
By daftmunk Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:30 am
Nice review Tutor.

As a legacy Akai user (60/2000XL/S-3000) i have to admit Nukai did a great job replicating the old school feel & layout. Ren has a nice weight to it, especially the data wheel. If i were to nitpick on the hardware side though I'd say the transport buttons feel a little flimsy compared to my trusted 60. also the armrest is obviously fake leather and a lower profile/cushioning might have been better (a la 3000). i also regret the loss of sliders, i much prefer tuning with a slider like the pitch control on a SL-1200 turntable. the 16 knobs are also a little bit overwhelming. 8 knobs and 2 sliders would have been much better imo. but so it is... finally i like how i can move around tracks at all times with the F3/F4 buttons on the 60/300 (and mute/solo with F1/F2), obviously this behavior has been dropped a long time ago on MPCs but it would be dope to see it back..

obviously the software is where the biggest concerns are, but i'll wait until tutors review on that to comment..
By JAH Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 am
daftmunk wrote:finally i like how i can move around tracks at all times with the F3/F4 buttons on the 60/300 (and mute/solo with F1/F2), obviously this behavior has been dropped a long time ago on MPCs but it would be dope to see it back..

The Ren performs as such in Main Mode: F3 [Track -], F4 [Track +], F5 [Mute], and F6 [Solo].....
By Coz Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:17 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:Yeah, and the weird thing is not every screen/parameter lags. Someone mentioned to that it could possibly be caused by the midi driver putting low latency as a priority over everything else.

We'll have to see if there's any improvement with future updates...

I got chance to check out the hardware yesterday... very solid. The indentations on the numeric keys look nice on the photos but in person I think they were made for child-size fingers. They don't feel right at all.

Other than that, it's a real shame they didn't go the extra mile and stick a brain in it, because it's got everything else going for it.
By DJ Hellfire Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:06 pm
Coz wrote:
DJ Hellfire wrote:Yeah, and the weird thing is not every screen/parameter lags. Someone mentioned to that it could possibly be caused by the midi driver putting low latency as a priority over everything else.

I got chance to check out the hardware yesterday... very solid. The indentations on the numeric keys look nice on the photos but in person I think they were made for child-size fingers. They don't feel right at all.

Other than that, it's a real shame they didn't go the extra mile and stick a brain in it, because it's got everything else going for it.

Yeah, I got small hands so the buttons are fine to me. Lol! But Tap Tempo coulda been bigger!
By JAH Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:15 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:
Coz wrote:

Yeah, I got small hands so the buttons are fine to me. Lol! But Tap Tempo coulda been bigger!

I personally don't like the smaller, low profile buttons. I know they were probably going for a smaller, more portable MPC. But I wouldn't mind an MPC the size of an MPC 3000, 4000, or 5000 with full sized buttons.
By DJ Hellfire Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:45 pm

The negatives:

2. The installation disks: How can you have one disc with three seperate installations on there that you have to install separately one by one, that also takes long to install? Why not just have it run in sequence all in one go. It felt like I was a kid again loading a game on my “Commadore 16” not even my 64, go out to play, come in have dinner and its still loading. (Fail)

3. I personally felt that the arm rest pad is too raised when resting on it trying to operate the transport button with my right hand. Not comfortable through the movement with the fingers, coming from the 3000 way of doing things

4. Some might disagree but for me also the playstop button is now like a trigger button so you can repeatedly hit the button to trigger the beat at the start much like cue points on Serato. When it comes to trying to overdub real quick to add to the beat live without pressing stop, this becomes a problem for me so I have to use the play button next to it. Again coming from the 3000 I’m use to hitting the playstop button then hitting overdub, a habit I now have to break.

I highly agree with everything you stated, ESPECIALLY number 6! :nod: However, as for #2, every piece of music hardware I've ever own is the same way. Maschine has a separate driver installer and so does every Pro Tools interface I've ever installed for myself or friends. And any sound libraries are most certainly always separate installers. Mine installed pretty quickly on my MacBook, as well. Haven't gotten to the PC yet though.

As for #3, I love the arm rest. It's one of my favorite features. But I guess for me, coming from an XL and 2500, something is better than nothing! :lol:

#4 has me confused when you say "play stop" button. Can you explain this again? Because the transport works exactly as it does on my 2500 minus not having to tap the PLAY button to record while the sequence is playing back.

Aslo, can you comment on how the buttons with the indents compare to a 3000? Because I've seen several people say they are too small an uncomfortable, but looking at pics of a 3000, they look about the exact same, judging from a picture of course.
By Retrofreak Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:52 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:

The negatives:

I highly agree with everything you stated, ESPECIALLY number 6! :nod: However, as for #2, every piece of music hardware I've ever own is the same way. Maschine has a separate driver installer and so does every Pro Tools interface I've ever installed for myself or friends. And any sound libraries are most certainly always separate installers. Mine installed pretty quickly on my MacBook, as well. Haven't gotten to the PC yet though.

As for #3, I love the arm rest. It's one of my favorite features. But I guess for me, coming from an XL and 2500, something is better than nothing! :lol:

#4 has me confused when you say "play stop" button. Can you explain this again? Because the transport works exactly as it does on my 2500 minus not having to tap the PLAY button to record while the sequence is playing back.

Aslo, can you comment on how the buttons with the indents compare to a 3000? Because I've seen several people say they are too small an uncomfortable, but looking at pics of a 3000, they look about the exact same, judging from a picture of course.

Ok, on the installation,

Most installers i've used including PT 9/10, Logic, NI Komplete, Maschine etc all have a menu system that allows you to tick what needs to be installed making the installation a one touch affair.

The MPC Ren installer had me going back into the same app on three different occasions as each stage of the install is treated separately.

PC installation

The program hung several times on Stage 1 (driver installation) and failed several times on Stage 3 (content installation).

OSX Installation

No issues apart from it being a 3 step process as previously mentioned.

Indent buttons

Much smaller than my MPC 3000, slightly uncomfortable, but I can live with that as the software is causing me much more pain!.

Play stop

When re-triggering a sequence on an MPC 3000 and 60 you must toggle Play/Stop and the stop button, old habits die hard I guess :lol:

As I said most of my gripes can be fixed with software, but I cannot get my head around #6 :fku:

If Akai only allowed me to use the software without the hardware i'd be able to finish tracks on the fly and my Ren will see much more usage.

Case in point:

I'm currently working on a session in Protools 10, but haven't committed to the drums.
I cannot open the Ren RTAS or standalone in order to tweak my drums on the fly with my laptop.

Also I like bringing my Macbook around with me to tweak mixes in the car and club set..I cannot do this with the Ren...it's PAIN!!! :x

I can do all the above with Guru, Maschine, Motu BPM, Battery??..heck even a Beat Thang yet the daddy of all drum machines cant do this??

C'mon Akai you can do this, I have faith that'll you do the right thing.