All the latest news from the MPC-Samples network
By MPC-Tutor Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Uh oh, this one is a bit special! Tape to Dub Plate Vol 1 – Cymbal Hits’ is the first release in a unique new series of royalty-free drum hits and breaks from the indisputable heavyweight champion of the fat vintage drum sound, Mr Timmy Rickard (Monosole Music).

This first volume is filled with 50 of the finest Turkish handmade cymbals and hi hat hits, each one recorded directly onto analogue tape, mixed through using analogue outboard gear, mastered onto a 12" dub plate, and finally sampled back off of the vinyl.

The result is the sound and vibe of the open hits and breaks that crate diggers spend so much of their time searching for. The demo speaks a thousand words:

The whole collection contains several types of cymbal hit; edge, bell, center, rolls and hi hat, and for those who prefer a cleaner drum sound, every sample is also provided in its original pre-dub-plate mix.

Sounds are provided in both 16 bit and 24 bit versions, and in an exclusive for MPC-Samples.com customers we’ve also provided MPC program files for quick loading across your pads, with legacy MPC SND versions of all samples included, making this fully compatible with all MPC models straight out of the box!

Mixed using analogue compressors and eq's stuffed with valves and transformers, before being sent to a Neumann cutting lathe. Performed and engineered with love by Timmy Rickard.

http://www.mpc-samples.com/product.php/232/tape-dubplate-1-cymbals/
By MPC-Tutor Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:32 am
krishi wrote:if you would press that on vinyl i d definitely get it. is there any realistic chance to do this? i m sure other users would be up for that as well.

TBH that's up to Timmy Rickard, we're just distributors on this one and just added the MPC Format stuff specifically for our site.

However just wanted to underline that everything has already been pressed to vinyl before it was resampled for the pack, so would be (genuinely) interested to hear what additional advantages you see for having a collection of single hits like this actually sold on vinyl (rather than being pre-sampled from vinyl).
By krishi Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:00 pm
Oh didnt know that, i thought you guys stand behind this production.
i can ask him direclty then.

Anyway your other question leaves me a little bit puzzled, that this question comes from you :shock:
The advantages of the hits being on vinyl are many, but the main one is: i can sample them myself, too loud, sped up or down, with eq, whatever i want.
i like to sample everything in my way, with my own amps and stuff..

also, i really like to play around with my MK2 :-)

a folder of wav's somewhere on a memory card doesnt make me feel so good and i tend to completely forget them..

but that is just my distorted oldskool view on things, i m almost hitting the 40 years lol
By MPC-Tutor Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:49 pm
krishi wrote:Anyway your other question leaves me a little bit puzzled, that this question comes from you :shock:
The advantages of the hits being on vinyl are many, but the main one is: i can sample them myself, too loud, sped up or down, with eq, whatever i want.
i like to sample everything in my way, with my own amps and stuff..

Lol, ok I can see why you'd be puzzled, but I'm very aware of the potential benefits of sampling direct from the vinyl myself (I cover some of them in my books), but one thing I have learned over the years is to not assume my customers think the same way as me, so I'd rather have them specifically tell me what they are looking for and why. With that knowledge I know exactly what products to make and how to market them :)
By krishi Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:48 pm
good man! haha

you know your opinions, i own and read most of your books.

btw i really appreciate and respect your work! it helped me a lot to get better on my own work and i implemented many of your practises into my daily routines. never intended to mess with you, just trying to suggest to make "sampling-vinyl" :-)