All the latest news from the MPC-Samples network
By MPC-Tutor Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:47 pm
Just a quick note to let you know that the search function is much better now. In addition to loads of additional searching options, if you want to search for an exact phrase, simply enclose the phrase "in double quotes like so".
By Lampdog Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:09 pm
So I guess slackers can't start a help post with
"I've searched so don't give me the third degree"
or
"I've done my homework so leave your search comments at home"
and then proceed to ask for help.

The search function is better now and they can't use that as an excuse or think they are "safe" from sarcasm. Nope.

YOU CAN STILL GET GOT, jk.
By _Stilo_ Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:27 pm
Yes, much much better now. One suggestion, is it possible to default "Display results as" to "Topics" instead of "Posts"? It's very cluttered otherwise.
By mpc3000le Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:23 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Just a quick note to let you know that the search function is much better now. In addition to loads of additional searching options, if you want to search for an exact phrase, simply enclose the phrase "in double quotes like so".

Better indeed.

A lot better capability to search all older archives. Nice.

Although it seems from my observations that you will need to be quite specific to pull a reasonable search result from very old posts.

EG:

In post:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11647&p=72462&hilit=AKAI+MPC+formatted#p72462

The word "ZIP" appears.

Using "ZIP" as the keyword when searching and a user of "mpc3000le" does not appear to pull a result out of the search engine.

However...

Use the words "AKAI MPC formatted" and an author of "mpc3000le" when searching and you will pull a result of:

Yes ... the same post where "ZIP" appears but could not be found by the search engine.

This seems like odd behavior in that both keyword or keywords to search are present in the same post and yet only the latter, more specific search attempt will pull a result.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers,

Rohan.
By stan steez Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:19 pm
Lampdog wrote:So I guess slackers can't start a help post with
"I've searched so don't give me the third degree"
or
"I've done my homework so leave your search comments at home"
and then proceed to ask for help.

The search function is better now and they can't use that as an excuse or think they are "safe" from sarcasm. Nope.

YOU CAN STILL GET GOT, jk.

Yellow Letters on Grey Background = "outch"

But the search function is nice :)
By pearl Fri May 09, 2008 8:15 am
Hi! I think improving search function is very import to improve search performance.
You can get 5,000 free points to spend on building backlinks to your website. These points will allow you to get free text link ads on up to 5,000 quality websites. The offer simply requires a DigitalPoint forums membership. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=477444
By Lampdog Fri May 09, 2008 8:22 am
stan steez wrote:Yellow Letters on Grey Background = "outch"

Gold, haha.
By _Stilo_ Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:09 pm
mpc3000le wrote:In post:

The word "ZIP" appears.

Using "ZIP" as the keyword when searching and a user of "mpc3000le" does not appear to pull a result out of the search engine.

Damn, noticed that again myself (without specifying the user name)....could it be that in case too many results are found, the search display "No results" instead? Or why does a single search word not yield any results? :?
By MPC-Tutor Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:13 am
mpc3000le wrote:Yes ... the same post where "ZIP" appears but could not be found by the search engine.

This seems like odd behavior in that both keyword or keywords to search are present in the same post and yet only the latter, more specific search attempt will pull a result.

That's because words with 3 or less characters are ignored by the forum search engine. Pretty standard for performance issues - if this was to be changed, each search for 'zip' or 'mpc' would most likely crash the site.
By thx Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:08 am
thanks for the improvements!