New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By hiromiito Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:28 am
Hi!

Really happy to finally having started working with an MPC 1000.

I'm wondering about this:

- I've got a sequence with 2 bars loop with different tracks for the drums
- I want to add a new track which is longer than those 2 bars
- Of course if I do that it'll loop on 2 bars without playing the rest.

-What is the proper way to do this?

So far I'm doing a new seq with my 2 bars loop running on the same length as my long sample... But I feel there must be a different way...

Thanks for your help!
By dabmeister Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:13 pm
How long is the sample you're using that's longer than 2 bars...4 bars maybe?

Whatever it is, you want to extend the 2 bar loop to match the 4 bar (if that's what it is).

That means copy/paste and some fine editing should do you some justice.
By hiromiito Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Thanks for your answer.

My sample (a synth part) is almost 14 bars.
I was wondering if there wasn't anything like the audio track (instead of drum or midi) which could just run independently from the 2 bars sequence, just belonging to that sequence.

I'm trying to understand the logic of working with the MPC 1000.

Or is it that I made different sequences of different lengths and play my entire song using the NEXT SEQ mode?
By dabmeister Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:56 pm
hiromiito wrote:Or is it that I made different sequences of different lengths and play my entire song using the NEXT SEQ/SNG mode?

This is where you can apply or learn how to chop samples too.

Yes, different lengths can work in some cases but it's best to keep everything as simple as possible.
By Monotremata Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:06 am
austinzuffi wrote:i want to do this so badly.

so, samples of multiple minutes are just for storage? and meant to be chopped up for actual production use? i wanted to build tracks on tracks, using full length audio recordings.

I mean, if you've got the memory to spare you can go ahead and work like that all you want. The sampler won't prevent you from loading a 10 minute sample into it. Whether it has the memory to hold it along with the rest of the song is the issue. Just looking at my Audio drive, Ive got Logic projects where the basic tracks would need twice the memory in the brand new MPC Live or X just to load. Might be able to load two of those tracks in a maxed out MPC1000 or 2500 with 128MB heh.

For the OP, the MPC doesn't work like that. If your loop is 14 bars, make your sequence 14 bars, then copy your 2 bar drum loop six more times to match it. Not really anything complicated about it. Nothing runs independently of the sequences. The sequences are your containers that hold everything. Those are the blocks that form your song, the top level of the whole thing. You can drop that audio file onto a track and it DOES belong to that sequence, but you're gonna have to make it fit the loop you want and copy/paste your drums accordingly. Theres sequencers that will run independent tracks but the MPC has never been one of those. My BeatStep Pro will but that thing is a joke compared to the MPC. Hell Arturia's idea of a 'song mode' makes the MPC look like Logic Pro hah.
By 6/8 Stanley Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:39 am
I made a beat with a bunch of drum kit tracks plus one track of a 4 minute sample chopped to 16 pads, not edited, so about 14 seconds each. The 14 sec samples cut each other off so they make a beat to go with the other tracks. When I hit "Stop" the sequence stops but the last 14 second sample doesn't get cut off so it keeps playing to its end by itself after everything else stops.

Dunno if that helps, just learning this stuff myself.
By Wormhelmet Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:27 am
To the OP - the Synthstrom Audible Deluge works like how you are describing that you need. It allows polyrhythmic tracks and streams directly from SD card so 14 minute samples would be no problem playing along with a two bar drum loop.

I has grid and piano roll sequencing, track mode, song mode, Arranger mode, built in subtractive and fm synthesis, supports multisamples, resample, Live looper coming in 3.0, exports stems, imports stems as wav, slicer, wav editor, built in fx, etc

The polyrhythm and disk streaming make it a pretty versatile machine, but add all that other stuff and it’s quite a capable portable machine. Uses the same battery type as the big vapes use. CV/Gate out, midi in/out, usb midi out, usb host in 3.0 coming. QWERTY keyboard layout for naming in 3.0 coming soon. Use any sample as oscillator for synths. BPM to 999. Since all samples stream directly from disk, low RAM usage.

SD Card support for as high as Fat32 supports (2 TB realistically). You’ll need a Mac or Linux box to format the larger cards as Fat32. Windows only sees 32GB. Can be done on windows machine running a Linux Live CD or DVD though without having to install Linux (RAM drive)

It has a 128 pad grid with non-velocity sensitive pads but you can use your MPC 1000 as a controller to trigger samples or get a keyboard controller or other 4 x 4 pad controller like a trigger finger or Korg padKontrol.

A little less than the cost of the MPC Live. Check out Synthstrom Audible’s website for more info.
By Monotremata Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:03 am
Hahaha I didnt even realize til now that the OP was 9 years ago. Rad necro thread!

Wormhelmet - That things uses vape batteries? Like 18650s?? That would be awesome depending on how much power it takes. Same batteries they use in laptop packs too. That thing probably runs off a 2A or less PSU, one 18650 could probably last most of a day.
By Wormhelmet Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:53 am
Monotremata wrote:Hahaha I didnt even realize til now that the OP was 9 years ago. Rad necro thread!

Wormhelmet - That things uses vape batteries? Like 18650s?? That would be awesome depending on how much power it takes. Same batteries they use in laptop packs too. That thing probably runs off a 2A or less PSU, one 18650 could probably last most of a day.

Yes, the 18650’s.

It will run for 5 - 7 hours. Power supply can be 9v - 12v and as little as 500mA. It was designed to run on the same adapters as guitar pedals use. They don’t supply the power supply. It comes with a charged battery. I run mine off a USB powered hub. Keeps the battery charged fine so when I unplug and take it with me it’s good to go for at least 5 hours. It has a little built in speaker also. Little portable mini studio with some Roland Boutiques. Built in synths are good but I like having some dedicated synths also to twist some knobs on while playing. The 128 pad grid is an isomorphic keyboard layout with different scales available. Laid out like stringed instruments. Having a boutique also gives you a regular keyboard although I can take one of my Yamaha CBX-K1 37 key controller keyboards too. It also runs on batteries.

Definitely has fast workflow and a lot of shortcuts for editing using the pads instead of menu diving.