New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By eddiek1syou Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:52 pm
Alright, I know the topic is pretty ridiculous, but I feel like the best beats i've made are made when I smoke some weed. When I'm not high, ideas don't seem to come to me and all of my stuff doesn't sound unique at all..

Does anyone else have this problem?

Quit smoking or quit producing?
User avatar
By jibber Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:04 am
eddiek1syou wrote:Alright, I know the topic is pretty ridiculous, but I feel like the best beats i've made are made when I smoke some weed. When I'm not high, ideas don't seem to come to me and all of my stuff doesn't sound unique at all..

Does anyone else have this problem?

Quit smoking or quit producing?


I recently stopped smoking weed for a while. Haven't made a lot of beats in that time, and the stuff i made didn't inspire me at all. I don't know how much truth there is to this, but you got a point here.

Weed works as an enhancer of your brain in some ways, so it's very well possible that for some people it can improve creativity.

Last night after smoking again... i was hit by inspiration and made some of the dopest ish i've made in a while. :o

Just sayin'. :D
User avatar
By Ill-Green Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:06 am
Weed flows in my bloodstreams but I like to be sober when I make a beat. Sometimes a dope beat high can sound like **** later.

I prefer to make beats sober and when its complete, then I spark a spliff, enjoy the high and enjoy the beat.

But when I get up on the mic, yeah I'm stoned.
User avatar
By Mike Boogie Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:18 am
Ill-Green wrote:Weed flows in my bloodstreams but I like to be sober when I make a beat. Sometimes a dope beat high can sound like **** later.

I prefer to make beats sober and when its complete, then I spark a spliff, enjoy the high and enjoy the beat.

But when I get up on the mic, yeah I'm stoned.



^^^THIS
User avatar
By drunkmonkey5556 Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:42 am
you've probably just made too many beats while you were high, so you're used to that experience... it probably isn't true that you can't be creative without it, you probably are just mixing up being creative with being high.... if the question is really quit smoking or quit producing....... then the question is retarded but............ just do both at different times i guess until you can handle it...
By Em.p.cee.j Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:38 am
Smokin doesn't effect how well I put my tracks together... but it definitely helps me when I'm goin through records. I could listen to an album sober and not hear anything to sample. Give me that same record while I'm blowed and I'll find a **** load of samples. On the flip side of that... if I'm sober I can play keys over the sample. But when I'm high I play all the wrong chords (I play by ear) and think that **** cold... until I listen sober and realize how high I had to be to play that badly.
User avatar
By The Grublet Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:49 am
Get creative when you've had a smoke and get clinical with the mix when you haven't.

8)
User avatar
By starcrusher Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:11 am
The Grublet wrote:
Get creative when you've had a smoke and get clinical with the mix when you haven't.

8)


i also support this strategy .. but yeah i can cut a track with or without the herb and find they're solid either way. it's more of a mental thing .. smoking is just a lifestyle so i kind of do anything with it ..
User avatar
By DPM Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:32 am
i never work on beats when im high...only when im straight. i obviously listen to my work and other music when im high, but never work when im high.

i dont like the thought of "well, i was high when i made that" or "i have to be high to make 'good' beats"