New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Jfalconcrest Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:59 am
I've found that all herb does is make me less likely to second guess my decisions. I quit smoking and found it hard to produce until I just Relaxed and stopped being so critical of myself.
By rebel_lion Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:03 am
eddiek1syou wrote:Alright, I know the topic is pretty ridiculous, but I feel like the best beats i've made are made when I smoke some weed. When I'm not high, ideas don't seem to come to me and all of my stuff doesn't sound unique at all..

Does anyone else have this problem?

Quit smoking or quit producing?

I am the total opposite. I use to think that I made bomb ass beats when i was under the influence. I didn't realize how bad it was until the next day later when I listened to it sober saying to myself 'what the hell was I thinking when I made that?' :lol:

If anything weed makes me lazy and not want to finish a beat after an eight bar sequence. Its more for the enjoyment and the ride rather than getting to the goal.
By Ill-Green Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:56 am
[quote="Brenda22"]There are a number of methods that people used in the past to help them break free of smoking. Hypnosis has been tried with varying degrees of success. Chewing gum and eating hard candies has even been suggested as a means to deal with the oral cravings caused by cigarette addiction. You can quit smoking but it calls for a lot of determination and commitment on your part.

I don't think its cigarettes that they're talking about Brenda.

How about pming your number and we'll make a date. I can explain to you in detail whats this thread all about over dinner and maybe we'll get lucky and smoke a few cigs after some hot sex :P
Last edited by Clint on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: spam content
By dabmeister Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:54 pm
I've got the feeling some autobot shmit is going on in this thread.

Anyway, I'm more on the downslope of this getting high thing. After decades of getting down like this, I find myself more on the sober end of things than walking around with a cloudy mindset.

It doesn't matter if I'm stoned or not, I'm going to lay it down one way or another.
By Pastor-of-Muppets Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:37 pm
Ill-Green wrote:
Brenda22 wrote:spamspamspam

I don't think its cigarettes that they're talking about Brenda.

How about pming your number and we'll make a date. I can explain to you in detail whats this thread all about over dinner and maybe we'll get lucky and smoke a few cigs after some hot sex :P

:lol:

don't flirt with the spammers, they'll make your dick smell of spam!

noone wants their spam javelin to actually taste of spam
By MoreBuck$ Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:31 pm
GZA
With the Weed: As a founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan, GZA layed down some of the best rhymes on the group’s albums as well as some of the most consistent solo work in hip-hop. He also had a ridiculously nutty cameo (along with Bill Murray and fellow Wu member RZA) in Jim Jarmusch’s Coffee and Cigarettes.
The Announcement: In a recent interview, GZA announced he has completely given up smoking herb to become more productive.
Post Ganja: Yet to be seen, though GZA says his previous attempt to clean up was undone by a tour. “In certain towns, people would just hand you weed,” he says. The Clan are currently on the road for their latest album 8 Diagrams.

Snoop Dogg
With the Weed: The Dr. Dre-aided, Death Row-funded Snoop Dogg rose from being a charming sideman to one of the biggest MCs of all time, as well as a multi-platform mogul with his own clothing line, skateboards, hot dogs and of course, reality show.
The Announcement: In 2002, Snoop publicly liberated himself from marijuana because he was coaching a youth football team.
Post Ganja: One of Snoop’s biggest-selling albums, Paid the Cost to Be the Boss, was recorded during his sober period, and he also launched the criminally underrated Doggy Fizzle Televizzle while not on the smoke. However, Snoop was arrested twice in the fall of 2006 for marijuana possession and appears to be back off the weed wagon.

J-Rock
With the Weed: As part of the British hip-hop/R&B collective Big Brovaz, J-Rock laid down chart-topping rhymes about Friends on his way to becoming one of the biggest rappers in the U.K.
The Announcement: In 2006, J-Rock launched a TV show in England called Giving Up the Weed, in which he would go without smoking grass for thirty days after a fourteen-year habit.
Post Ganja: After the cameras turned off, Rock kept it up and entered into a staggering period of productivity: He appeared in a play in London, acted in a movie and got Big Brovaz back together to record an album for Universal.

Rev Run
With the Weed: Run made his name as one-third of the seminal hip-hop group Run-DMC, the first rap act to have an album in the top ten and crossover to pop success.
The Announcement: Run denounced weed around 1991, frowning on the drug’s false sense of security.
Post Ganja: Run became an ordained minister in 1997, put out a solo album in 2004 and became the star of the hit MTV reality series Run’s House in 2005.
By Aero202 Mon May 18, 2015 8:48 pm
Certains strains of marijuana can give you a clear focus without the laziness. When I smoke sour diesel I am focus and make some of my craziest out of the box beats. When Im sober it takes longer to get in the zone and alot of times the beats sound basic. I would advise that you keep a sober mind while mixing though.
By BoyOfVirtue Sat May 23, 2015 1:58 am
When I first started making beats (all of 6 months ago) I was smoking weed regularly and it seemed like the music would just pour out of me...I was able to make what I considered a decent beat everyday.

I had to quit for work and I went through a period where I just wasn't able to create. I didn't have any desire to use the MPC and when I did, I wasn't able to come up with anything decent. After about a month, that went away and I started having fun with the whole process again, turning out some pretty cool stuff in the meantime.

If I could, I would still smoke. But it definitely shouldn't be an either/or thing for anyone.

(and yes, I'm aware this was posted 5 years ago :oops: :P )