New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
ByDoodoo Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:36 am
Hi bro's and broettes,

I was wondering if anyone could give a little help with the problem i'm having.
I have a MPC2000 and a Midi Synth Keyboard, what im trying to achieve is to create my drum pattern on the MPC and play a melody on the keyboard and lay it over the drum pattern.
I've connected the Midi In's and Out's of the MPC and keyboard respectively and followed the manuals guide as to recording from a MIDI source. I've been playing a melody over my drum pattern and saving it to a sequence and it plays back well however when i turn the keyboard off the melody(a String sound melody in this case) doesnt play on the MPC anymore. I realised that the string sounds from the keyboards can be used on the MPC pads but there cumbersome for melodies :(.
To solve the problem, i've tried saving the melody sequence that i played on the keyboard on the MPC with the "including Sounds" options but it still wont play the melody back.
If anyone could give some help regarding how to save the sequence from the MIDI synth keyboard onto the MPC i'd be grateful.

Peace.

By BRAVO Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:45 am
In short, this my friend are the laws of MIDI

Midi is just an instruction. MPC records the information but the actually sound comes out of the keyboard...So, if you turn it off, the sound wont play.

Think of playing your stereo with the volume down :wink:

Read up on saving SEQs etc in the manual....You'l also have to read up on storing sessions on your keyboard (Or at least work out a way to retrieve them)

Bravo

ByDoodoo Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:54 am
thanks bro, i'll read up and play around with it more and hopefully it'll all work out.

By BKnyc Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:28 am
What kind of synth do you have?

ByDoodoo Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:41 am
I've got a Yamaha DGX-300 bro. I'm still a little baffled by the situation so im going to head down to the pro-audio shop around here and see if they have a few minutes spare to explain it to me and help out.

By featherboy Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:45 pm
This looks too obvious......you've recorded your keyboard sequence into the MPC, the MPC plays it, you turn the keyboard off & the MPC cannot play it.............because the keyboard is switched off. What you have recorded on the MPC is just the numbers to trigger the notes on your keyboard.

If you want the keyboard sounds in the MPC you need to sample them. Unfortunately the MPC cannot sample while it is playing so if you want the string melody as a long phrase sample you will need to record it onto something -( dat, minidisc, another sampler, computer, etc.) & then sample that recording.

By elmacaco Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:15 pm
did I say Quiz on this thread?

Oh. no, not yet. lemme fix that.

QUIZ!

ByDoodoo Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:13 pm
i realise my dumbness now. I got a audio input/output cable and just played it and sampled as mentioned above. Sorry for the redundant question :)

By ieism Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:51 pm
that's like plugging your headphone into a toaster :lol:
But since this is the newbie forum, you're forgiven.