New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By ecsmix Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:12 am
Hi guys, I am totally computer based, but Im also a deejay, I have several softwares such pro tools le, acid, reason and stuff, vst instruments, buit beats is always a concern in every production, specially for me. I am into house / trance music.
When I do some beats in Fruityloops or Reason it doesn't sound like the big producers, I'm not talking about patterns and stuff but about the feel.
It's like they put some effect, some filter in the snares and the kicks that sound diferent, phatter and it is harder to sample or a snare because the kicks are constant, so it is always on top of the snare.
With the mpc I will have diferent ways to do real phat drums beats for house music like the big ones...masters at work, todd terry, basement jaxx, full intetion, Vasquez and etc....
Or Mpc it is better only for hip hop?
thanks.

By stryke Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:56 am
The mpc is for everyone.In my opinion no matter what your genre you can produce and create on the mpc to your own taste.NO DOUBT.

By ieism Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:51 pm
So you're saying you don't like the way your software makes the kicks and snares sound, and you cant sample the big producers snares cause they're always layered with kicks?
the mpc is for everyone, but it won't give you a big kick or hard snare right out the box. It's a sampler so you'll still have to sample good drumsounds. I would look into layering your own drumhits and maybe adding compression to some tracks as well. You can do this in Reason pretty easy. have a look in the Production Tech forum, there's lots of post on this.

By ecsmix Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:41 pm
I really appreciated your help guys.
I would like to learn more about that what kinf of effects or compression should I puit in the snares and kicks to give waht I want, is there a book or some thread that can explain that to me better?
You said:"It's a sampler so you'll still have to sample good drumsounds"
Which ones are the the best for house muisic, But I don't want to sample everything.
It is easier to create several patterns in mpc, easier than a software?
After you done a beat in the Mpc to export it to the computer to my main sequencer, I 'll loose quality? I have Mbox, but I don't use Pro tools as my main sequencer because PT LE doesn't have the beat detective, so I'm using Acid with midi and everything.
Thanks

By ieism Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:47 pm
If you decide to get an mpc, the mpc1000 would be great for you. It has some compression and eq build in so you can experiment with that.
Try layering a few snares together (trigger 2 or more one hit smaples at the same time) and add some eq and compression.
Some info on compression:
http://web.archive.org/web/200212070859 ... icles3.htm

I'm not into house. I think 808 and 909 are used a lot combined with other samples. Get some here for free.
http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/index.html

The mpc's are great for making you own drumpatterns. It will take a while to learn like any sampler though.
Drawing in notes in a sequencer does not compare. The mpc feels more like you're a drummer than a text editor.

If you would get the mpc1000, you can record the digital output straight into your m-box. You won't lose quality at all. You can get a digital output on other mpc's as well, but it's an option.

By tgw617 Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:35 am
i would also consider either a midi controller keyboard (usb) or maybe the mpd16 pads. this is howver if you only want to be able to create beats using your hands instead of a mouse. if you have the money and you want it for the sequencing and the great sampling then yes i woud say the mpc is definetly for you.

but if not then the other options are cheaper $100-$300

By ecsmix Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:08 am
Thank you very much guys YOU WERE AWESOME!!!
I'll really think about that, because I want to get a sound module as well(Motif or New Fantom), if you have some opinion on both please help with that issue as well.
Thanks,
ERic.
p.s:
If exists some book or some tutorials explaining how make on your beats(snares, kicks and etc...).
Why we have to use the compression and how, eq and stuff like, the history about that. I like to know the first one to doit and stuff like that.
Thanks again.

By binger0 Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:49 am
www.mpc2000xl.net has all that shit in tutorial. its 50 bills and u will learn all that shit like makin beats sampling compression all kinds of shit. i couldnt recomend it more

By TheMPCRipper Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:53 pm
I make about 75% hip hop/25% house, and the mpc is king for both of them. as noted above most of the kicks you hear are off the 909, sometimes gated to sine wave to kick things up a notch, most common claps are off a 505. Different types of delays are used on many parts in house music, I usually use a slapback on kicks and a reg delay with tons of resonance on snares. The MPC is good because you can sample all of them in it, and swing and shift a lot better than you can on thouse old shool joints. The reason why your beats dont sound pro is because you are usuing fruity and reason. Learn pro tools, get a mpc, some VA or analog boards and remember effects are the key for house!

By ecsmix Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:38 am
Awesome reply I was thinking that too..I wish you could tell me more about the effects on the snares, kicks,hi-hats and stuff.
I should buy my mpc and a motif or fantom soon.

Thanks.

By TheMPCRipper Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:24 pm
If its your first purchase you might want to get a computer sequencer first because of the flexibility of software (multi tracking, sequencing, plug in effects...). House and diffent styles have elements that are nearly impossible to play on the keys as well as tight timberal changes, and using a mpc for sequencing these patterns and tweaks will be a turn off like Roseanne Barr in a G-string. I got the Motif, but haven't really played with the Fantom. The Mo is a great board with a ton of sound, and can complement any rig, but it does have its pros and cons. The lack of real time controls is a kick in the scrotum to any house beatsmith. Take a look at VAs and analog boards. The big guns in VA market are the Nord, the Virus, The JP-80x0, the MS2000, as well as the Novation pieces. You can probably hear at least one of the boards in just about any electronic piece over the last 5 years. Take a look at one of these.

By ecsmix Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:03 am
I'm producing already, I have Reason, FL, Acid,Recicle, Spectrasonics VST'is,mobox-pro tools and others, but I always hear about the mpc to make drumbeats , the feel,the swing and etc...That's why.