New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By ecsmix Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:38 am
Hi guys, I am totally computer based, but Im also a deejay, I have several softwares such pro tools le, acid, reason and stuff, vst instruments, built beats is always a concern in every production, specially for me. I am into house / trance music.
Hi guys, I am totally computer based, but Im also a deejay, I have several softwares such pro tools le, acid, reason and stuff, vst instruments, buit beats is always a concern in every production, specially for me. I am into house / trance music.
When I do some beats in Fruityloops or Reason it doesn't sound like the big producers, I'm not talking about patterns and stuff but about the feel.
It's like they put some effect, some filter in the snares and the kicks that sound diferent, phatter and it is harder to sample or a snare because the kicks are constant, so it is always on top of the snare.
I was wondering how it is to work with those hardwares mpc 1000 or 2000 or xl or 4000, to make specially beats.
I read some threads here and I know I have to export everything to my computer and depends of my sound card, I have Mbox, is good enough for the quality.
I don't know much about the power of the mpc's I don't what we can with it, if it is easier to work with and if I'll have to learn a lot diferent things to work properly with the mpcs.
Where you guys pick up the beats to sample, I mean the kicks, snares and etc...Because to sound good I heard we have to put filters equalizers on top of the drums in order to make it fat, mpc has those effects?
I heard Akai has the killer sampler too, is everybody here working with them, that is waht the big producers use it?

Thanks and please help me, so many doubts so little time.....lol

By Swissmaster Cheese Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:15 am
Well, i've never really had the "pleasure" of making beats on a PC before....i've tried it before with Fruity and a copy of SF but it felt like pulling teeth.....With the mpc its so straight ahead, you know....You cant really beat the hands on feel you get from bashing out a pattern from those pads.....plus the sequencer is very straightforward and intuitive yet very deep at the same time....Trust me, play with it a few tiems and you'll start coming up with ideas very fast......as for the sampler, well, you hafta remember that its a DRUM MACHINE first and a sampler second...its only really good for editing short phrases..I wouldnt try doing any kind of serious sampling with just this machine alone(unless you have a 4k, which in that case, have at it)..I'd cop a second hand rack sampler or some good sampler software like the ones you have and you'll be straight.....Despite what some may have you think, it really isnt made to be used alone..I mean, you can use it by itself, but for trance, dnb/jungle, house, etc(all genres outside of hip hop) you'll need some more gear to really make the experience a rewarding one....I use a second hand EMU Esi 4000 loaded up(with no Turbo expansion though :( ), a Yamaha keyboard(cheap PSR series) to control it and a Tascam 788 to record all the tracks.....

By ecsmix Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:35 am
Yes I have to tried that, but I like to use the computer as well, I am concern about how should I export what I have created in MPC, about loosing quality, I have Digidesign Mbox.
If it will help me with creativity it is a wonderfull thing.
I saw some videos of the mc-909, where can I find some videos of Mpc's 1000 or 2000?
To remix and create huose,breakbeat,trance with one is better mc-909 or mpc-1000 or mpc-2000?
And the diferences between them.
If I buy some Akai samples to my new Mpc how much would cost, to buy nice samples of house,breakbeat and etc...
Thanks

By ieism Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:52 pm
Please don't post the same question twice escmix. If both get replies, one person has been wasting his time to reply.