New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By tjasinto Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:45 pm
Hello. I got an MPC 2000xl with the internal zip drive and I was having problems following the manual in the "Basics" section. The manual tells you that you need to have a SCSI CD rom hooked up to the MPC. It doesn't mention anything about having an internal zip disk. It says this on page 16 of the MPC 2000xl manual. Assuming that the same sound set is on the Zip Disk that my MPC came with, I tried to follow along with what the manual is instucting but it seems to deviate a little from the sound set on the ZIP disk so it's making it difficult for me to follow the manuals instructions therefore I'm pretty much stuck on page 19.

Here's my question. Have any of you had this same problem? Do I have the wrong manual and is there another resource which maybe easier to follow along with regards to helping me get started with my MPC from scratch other than the manual?

By RAVEN Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:38 am
First off welcome to this form,
the only reason you need to hook up a cd rom drive is if you want to load sample cd rom's. the internal zip is the same thing as a floopy disk. only bigger,
hold down shift and press load 3, now move to the device using the curson buttons and turn the data wheel till you see the ATAPI that's the zip drive :idea: now press do it if the the zip has somthing in it it should load.if there is no sound try turning the data wheel and looking at the size= to see if there is any thing on the disk when you see something like 167K that means something is recorded on the zip disk and then press do it.
good luck and keep at it........

By RAVEN Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:46 am
ps if your manual say's mpc 2000xl on it and you have a 2000xl it's the right manual. the manual is kinda weird but don't trip it takes a while to get the hang of it------ also check out the 2000xl.net, if you can't afford that just check out the 2kxl part of this form and read some old posts or do a search. Hang in there bro.

By Aster Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:23 pm
Yeah it's like the manual in plain english with explanations, plus it has more advanced stuff that isn't in the manual so you can expand once you got the basics down.

And you are right, if you get a 2kxl with an internal zip you still get the same manual that the ones w/ floppies came with... so your manual is telling you to load up this demo/tutorial .pgm off the cd, and you try it off the zip and you don't even have enough ram to load the one on the zip... it's a pretty wack feeling to shell out all that loot and get to page 19 and your stuck...

2000xl.net won't do you raw like that, it has the files you need to do the tutorials so you can download and follow along...

It's dope, I wish it had been around when I first got my mpc...