New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Db75 Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:17 pm
what is "Pitch Bend" for?

is it to speed it up momentarily to make it stop skipping?

also what is the "target light" for? to see the needle's reflection on the record for better placement? (it makes cool shadows though)

By ieism Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:48 pm
This better be for real, or i'll stop replying to newbie questions....:lol:

Let's say you want to beatmatch on two decks, and you feel you have the bpm about right but one track is a little behind compared to the other deck. If you hold the pitchbend up for a moment, you can sync them perfectly.

Of course you can also do this by moving the pitchslider real quick, or just nudge record with your hand a little. I usually just hold the side of the platter on the other deck a little with my hand untill it slows down enough.

I think the pitchbend is more for people who are afraid to touch their deck's platter or records (i.e. house dj's :wink: )

By Db75 Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:22 pm
oh. and yes it was for real.

but i find the pitch bend is quite useful to stop a record skipping.

By ieism Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:56 pm
Alright. But if your needle skips that quick you might want to adjust your arm a bit, put some more weight on that ****.

Oh, and the target light is just there for the cool shadows.

By binger0 Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:20 pm
acutally the target light is there so u can see if your shit is calibrated properly. See the little dots on the platter? When they pass the light you can see em better. But it into 45 then 78 see the diff dots come up? thats so u can make sure ur platter is goin at the right speed.

By ieism Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:25 pm
:lol: You're too good for this world bingerO....
Hit me with a pm again for your adress, i still have a package to send you but i lost your adress.

By Db75 Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:01 pm
yeah i think i need it to be heavier.

because the manual told me that i should weigh it so that it balances evenly.

when the needle gets into the centre of the record it tends to drag back.

By binger0 Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:10 pm
try this homie, make it so that the tone arm is kinda hangin out befor the record, u should dangle it so that its perfectly balanced in the air. Like not tettering. Just move the wieht so it does that, like have the wieght on it but that it is like balancing it self in the air. at that settin set the counter weight to zero, then go forwards to about 3.0 or 3.5. that is usally what most catrts are at, but it can be different. In ur carts manuals it should have its tracking force listed. Too heavy and u wear u records out faster, to light and it will flop off the record and jump and skip.

By Db75 Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:02 pm
thanks a lot, i'll try that

By Db75 Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:08 pm
the scale on the weight only goes to 2.5

it's divided into sixths, 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5

also, i have a rubber mat and a slipmat. is the slipmat supposed to go on top or do i replace the rubber mat with the slipmat?

By binger0 Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:05 am
take the rubber mat off an put the slip on it.