New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By chiZleo Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:15 am
everyone speaks of zoning not being on the mpc 1000? someone please educate me

By guitman Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:14 am
In what context were they refering to in zoning? Zoning can come in different flavors. With keyboard mapping it has to do with different sounds assigned to different zones, like maybe a bass sound in the first octave (C1-B1) and a piano sound on the second octave (C2-B2) a string sound on the third octave (C3-B3) etc. There is also velocity zoning where you set up a different velocity ranges (0 thru 127) for example: you assign a sample of a drum hit softly to the range 0-64 and then a sample of the drum hit a bit harder to the range 64-96 and so on. so the harder you hit the pad or key the sample changes to mimic a real drum being played. The MPC1000 will do either of the ones I mentioned. There are midi zones also and I don't believe the MPC1000 can do these. There are probably others that I am forgetting right now but maybe someone else has some input

By binger0 Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:47 am
nah the zoning everyone is talkin about means to the mpc being able to cut up something into little pieces. It also is known as chopping. It is good for cutting samples up into little sounds so u can do a varieity of shi*, like play the loop back at diff tempos or reaarange the whole loop or layer different cuts on top of eachover.

By guitman Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:50 am
binger0 wrote:nah the zoning everyone is talkin about means to the mpc being able to cut up something into little pieces. It also is known as chopping. It is good for cutting samples up into little sounds so u can do a varieity of shi*, like play the loop back at diff tempos or reaarange the whole loop or layer different cuts on top of eachover.

Thanks Binger0. I guess I am from the old school. Chopping was chopping and zoning was something completly different. I try to stay up with new trends of changing the meaning of terms but I will start doubling my dose of Geritol and see if I can keep up - Ha Ha

By blowout dome Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:18 pm
A friend of mine recently got the 1000 and I was looking through his manual and came across "extracting sounds from original sample". We came to the conclusion(however, we didnt fully look into it) that this was probly somthing similar to the zoning freature in the 2ks.

By chiZleo Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:34 am
thanx for da info