New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
Bymrm360 Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:30 am
I've just started using my recently purchased MPC 1k. I attempted to hook up my Novation K station keyboard to the MPC to record the keyboard to the MPC. After referring to the manual, all I could come up with was MPC sounds being triggered by the K Station. Any help is appreciated.

By pt3r Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:16 am
1. midi out of keyboard in midi in a.
2. midi out a to midi in of keyboard.
3. Turn local on keyboard off.
4. On MPC set track to midi instead of drum using output A.
5. Make sure the output of MPC and your keyboard are connected to a mixer of some kind (You will never hear the keyboard sounds comming out of the MPC outputs 'cause midi is DATA not SOUND)

6. See also page 23 of mpc1k manual it explains how to connect a keyboard to the mpc1k

By stereoroid Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:08 am
I would also suggest setting Soft Thru (MIDI page) on the MPC to "All", which then makes the setup follow the guidelines in your K-Station manual (Pg 12).
(I know we shouldn't say RTM in the Newbie forum, but this manual has a very good description of the situation.)

Bymrm360 Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:31 pm
Thank you for the replies... much appreciated. I'm a little confused tho. Do I need an external mixer in order to hear the sounds produced by the keyboard that I midi synched to the MPC? I was able to play sounds off the keyboard on the MPC, and sounds off the MPC on the keyboard. However, I couldn't record a midi sequence of the keyboard that I could hear onto the MPC. Any help appreciated, thanks again.
-Mike

By stereoroid Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:45 pm
You got it: the KS sounds will always come out of the KS. MIDI does not change that. When the sequence is playing, the MIDI flowing from the MPC to the KS is a sequence of events or commands: hit this key (note on), tweak that setting (continuous controllers), let that key go (note off). No sound is transferred by MIDI.

So you need a way to hear all the devices that are making sound, at the same time, which generally means a mixer...