New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
ByDivineVersatile Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:37 pm
Check it out...

I have an MPC2000XL with an internal Zip drive.

I am having the damndest time actually saving my sequences when I get a beat I like.

If someone could, step by step...tell me what I should do so that when I try to reload the beat...the correct samples come up, I'd appreciate it.

'Cause as it is...I don't know saving a sequence from saving a program from saving a sound.

'ppreciate ya.

Peace,

DVS

By bugz415 Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:12 am
It's easy.

The program (pgm) file is where all your sounds are. What pad and what sound. You can also change things for each pad like attack, decay, filter, tune, etc and this also gets saved.

The sequence (mid or midi) is all the data you record. What pad you press, how hard you press it, and when.

Saving a sound (snd or wav) is just saving an individual sound as is.

When I save my beats I save the program with wav sounds (pgm) and sequence files (mid).

Get it now?

By Cheech Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:25 am
I have the XL as well, and the easiest way to save everything is this:

save .ALL = All Songs and Sequences
save .APS = All Programs and Sounds
And remember: when you save the APS file and it asks you if you want to REPLACE SAME SOUNDS, select YES! That way it will save any changes that you have done to the sounds.. If you select NO it will save the sounds as they were when you you loaded them.

ByDivineVersatile Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:34 pm
I'll try when I go to the studio tonight.

By bidi Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:51 pm
Cheech wrote: it asks you if you want to REPLACE SAME SOUNDS, select YES!

duh - you just solved a problem that i had no idea i had. . .

By Cheech Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:27 am
bidi wrote:
Cheech wrote: it asks you if you want to REPLACE SAME SOUNDS, select YES!

duh - you just solved a problem that i had no idea i had. . .

When I got my machine this was baffling me for awhile too.... I didn't know what was going on, when I made a beat and saved it it sounded great but when I loaded it all the sounds were f*cked up.. Someone in here schooled me about that and I remember I felt so stupid that I hadn't figured it out myself :)

DivineVersatile, here is the procedure - step by step:

Press SHIFT + SAVE
Highlight the file type (.SND, .WAW, .APS, .PGM etc etc ) and select .ALL = Save All Sequences and Songs
Give the file a name
Press DO IT

After doing that, highlight the file type and select .APS = Save All Programs and Sounds
Give the file a name
Press DO IT
It asks you if you want to REPLACE SAME SOUNDS? Choose yes (Actually this doesn't matter the first time you're saving a file, but when you load up the file and change something then it's important to replace the old sounds!)
By killer joe Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:08 pm
yo the newbie questions help everybody.......i gave up on saving like this cuz i thought it wasnt working.....i knew it was just something i wasnt doing right but i was being too lazy to try and figure it out so i just track my beats out on my recorder and keep it moving........every time i go to make a beat i just load up new drum sounds from my records......