New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By golden-era Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:57 am
Guys,

I have a very basic question I am having trouble finding the answer to in the MPC2000xl manual.

When you trim a sample and you see a start and end time of a sample say:

St: 100
End: 12000

My question is what do these numeric values represent? I know it represents the start and end times of a sample but are these milliseconds or seconds? I guess I am asking is the length of a sample in the TRIM mode valued in seconds or milliseconds or something different?

Thanks,
By Lampdog Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:54 pm
It is NOT time. It is sample points. If in a wave editor and you zoom in as far as you can you will see that it looks like dot to dots right? Well those are sample points. The number you are seeing is THAT.

By golden-era Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:23 pm
Lamp,

Appreciate that response. I was curious because I actually was using a pre-trigger of 10ms on the asr-10 as recommended in the manual. Then I was seeing if I could just truncate the first "10" to cut any dead space from my sample if that makes sense.

Sense I was wrong and it isn't milliseconds I need to scratch that idea.

Thanks bro!
By Lampdog Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:27 am
The 10ms pre-record is because most samplers can’t record on the drop of a dime perfectly.
You get to edit and chop down that little beginning 10ms to your liking. It’s actually good to have 10ms pre-record imo.

Chop it by ear.. Your ears non-perfectness will give your samples a different groove when played. A big part of the mystical timing history of older machines is because of chopping by ear. Your ears will never ever chop to the exact sample points. Which makes it uniquely “yours”. If you chop the same kick a million times it will have a diff amount of sample points at the beginning everytime, it works out though.

My beats had a way better feel back in my ASR10 days than when I changed to Triton Extreme / 2kxl and waveform editing.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:34 am
You know when people say your wavs in 2k/2kxl need to be 44khz? There are 44,100 samples points per second.

It’s 44,100 recorded points that recreate your audio (basically a dot to dot audio picture of your waveforme). To get a better picture,of your audio some machines even do 48khz and 96khz.

Why do I keep saying dot to dot, because digital is on/off, there is no bending. So audio would need to be recorded at definite points in time, dots. Either there is a dot or not, on/off.