New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Pjolson Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:29 pm
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this question. I'm interested in buying an mpc 1000 and to start making sample based music. I have never made sample based misic before but have used 4 and 8 multi-track recorders to make music in the past. I have a huge collection of records and I like the idea of turning my collecting hobby into a creative hobby.

Since I have experience with multi track recorders, I'm envisioning the mpc to have similar capabilities, but perhaps I am completely wrong.

Does the mpc allow users to layer tracks? For example, if I created a drum sequence, can I record instrumentation on top of that, similar to a multi-track recorder? Or does the mpc only allow one layer at a time?

Any info to help me conceprualize the song writing process would be greatly appreciated.
By Schmidi Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:22 pm
Hey man, I just got into MPCs in the last year but I think I can help you out.

So I came from Ableton and the MPC way took a little getting used to, but now I really like the method.

Basically the highest level is a Sequence, which is a "container" for however many midi tracks you want. Those midi tracks can do a lot:
VST plugins (AKA Plugin Program in MPC speak)
FX
drum samples (AKA Drum Programs in MPC speak)
chromatic/pitched samples (AKA Keygroup Program)
time stretched loops (AKA Clip Programs)
and sending midi out to external hardware

In addition to that you also have 8 Audio tracks...Which I really have not worked with at all yet lol. The benefit of them versus a warped long sample is that they will play correctly from wherever you launch your play head from (as opposed to a sample, which must be retriggered)

I believe the audio tracks allow overdubbing and bounce down, but I could be wrong, sorry.

"Does the mpc allow users to layer tracks? For example, if I created a drum sequence, can I record instrumentation on top of that, similar to a multi-track recorder? Or does the mpc only allow one layer at a time?"

So as I understand, you could create a Drum Program on track 1 with some samples, and then open a VSTi on track 2-X and layer sounds, or record an external instrument to audio tracks 1-8.

Hope this helps.