New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By daveydjkinetic Thu May 24, 2018 6:58 pm
hi there. I'm new to the forum and considering getting the stand alone mpc live mainly for rave/dance/hardhouse/trance music production. I've browsed the web and I can't find anyone producing music like this on the mpc live. I love the idea of using it without a pc as personally i don't like them. I'd like to know if this device would be good for this sort of production or is it mainly a hip hop sort of device?

kind regards
David
By distortedtekno Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 am
I've been making techno and house since the mid '90s. When the MPC2000 was released back in '97, a friend of mine bought one and we've been using MPCs with our other outboard gear over the past 20 years. Nowadays with the MPC Live, you have a lot more to work with. Using the software with it gives you a lot more options in the way of software synths. But you can still add more hardware if you wanna stay away from the computer.
By daveydjkinetic Fri May 25, 2018 5:19 am
distortedtekno wrote:I've been making techno and house since the mid '90s. When the MPC2000 was released back in '97, a friend of mine bought one and we've been using MPCs with our other outboard gear over the past 20 years. Nowadays with the MPC Live, you have a lot more to work with. Using the software with it gives you a lot more options in the way of software synths. But you can still add more hardware if you wanna stay away from the computer.

thanks. I've been reading this

https://spinditty.com/industry/MPC-vs-D ... orkstation

it looks to me like software would be more appropriate for the music I make as I can't view the full track at once. it's a shame because ideally I'd love to be using a hands on device like the mpc live instead
By Schmidi Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:21 pm
My Touch is central to my dance and beat production. I moved from Ableton after 15 years and am much more happy with the modern MPC work flow.

At this point, my entire track is fleshed out on in MPC, and a DAW is only used for final mix/mastering.
By Wormhelmet Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:59 pm
daveydjkinetic wrote:
distortedtekno wrote:I've been making techno and house since the mid '90s. When the MPC2000 was released back in '97, a friend of mine bought one and we've been using MPCs with our other outboard gear over the past 20 years. Nowadays with the MPC Live, you have a lot more to work with. Using the software with it gives you a lot more options in the way of software synths. But you can still add more hardware if you wanna stay away from the computer.

thanks. I've been reading this

https://spinditty.com/industry/MPC-vs-D ... orkstation

it looks to me like software would be more appropriate for the music I make as I can't view the full track at once. it's a shame because ideally I'd love to be using a hands on device like the mpc live instead

That article is not very accurate for actual facts on what you can and can’t do on MPC vs DAW.

You want the points on where it’s incorrect read J Dilla Drums comments on it in the comment section. He’s got the inaccuracies pretty correct.

I would get more sources for comparisons than that questionable spinditty blog.

New MPC’s can work with a DAW well also.

I had been using a Roland mv8800 which has quite a few similarities to an MPC as well as using some of the simpler iMPC apps on iPad and hip hop is probably one of my least made types of music on it. I make a wide variety of genres on hardware which can also be made on software or a mix of the two like Drum n Bass, Industrial, Techno, Trap, Dubstep, Downbeat, EDM, Experimental, Ambient, Chillstep, etc

Again, yes it can do hip hop, but certainly not limited to any one style of music
By Headphones Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:43 am
Think of your favorite rave style. If it’s drum n bass, cool. Sample a 808 Kick, and use a MPC to pitch shift it so with that kick, you can make BassLines. Then just include your favorite breakbeats & chop up and speed up until it’s starting to sound like drum n bass.

If you want acid house, get your hands on any hardware/software that can do a TB303 decently. Then make 909 drum sounds into your beat.

If you want Trance, focus on synths for a bit, like any analogue/VA that does rezzy lead sounds, and include tons of FX in there as well. A MPC will sequence other gear if you want, but you might want to look at Korg Electribes, old Grooveboxes from the 90’s, because they gave you all those drum machines/synths in 1 box.

Or, you could just sample your favorite house/techno/breakbeat/Dub/Trance/EDM Records, and just make remixes of what you sample. Or buy sample packs that give you all those sounds. Get them free as well.

Just use a MPC to be the center piece of your setup. As long as you know what style you’re after, then you’ll figure out what sounds work with one genre. Like how Drum N Bass NEVER uses TB303s. Or house music doesn’t really toss in heavily LFO’d Dubstep basslines. There are some rules to usually follow, but use what you like, or invent a new style if you can stumble into one.